Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Northampton Town official matchday thread  (Read 35575 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #210 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:32:46 »

We could play a diamond 442. 
lambourn red

« Reply #211 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:33:56 »

Unfortunately for us Power got lucky first season because of his old mate Sherwood being in charge of an incredibly talented bunch of young prospects. The big problem is he believes this is proof the model works, now that he has no friends left to beg and borrow from we cannot attract that calibre of players anymore and instead we have to take a punt on players that have dropped down to Non League. This team is crying out for a couple of experienced old heads but Power is to pig headed to change his philosophy .
As others have said IF we do go down to take this approach in League 2 would be suicidal as life we be even tougher against long ball football and also even harder to attract young premier players. I really don't know where we are going with this ethos but unfortunately I think I can safely say it is not upwards.
Flashheart

« Reply #212 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:35:26 »

Or maybe the current manager is just not good enough? The previous manager made it work rather well.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #213 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:35:58 »

On a more positive note it was worth the ticket price to hear jayo serenade the Townend.

Afro
Flashheart

« Reply #214 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:36:48 »

Ling got as many wins in 9 games as Williams has in 21-ish
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:37:05 »

We had a much better team in 95/96.

Formations don't win or lose games the players do.
Play the formation that best suites your squad. We clearly don't have the players for 352 so don't play it.
I'd suggest we need a back to basics, solid, two banks of four - 442 but we have no wingers!

Isn't one of the management's points that we acquire players to play 3-5-2 possession football, so trying to play a % game won't suit?

Listened to Pulis talking about his 1000 games in management...he was talking about how he turned West Brom round and kept them up....his secret...look at the players you've got and then think of a system of play to suit them. What would you do with what we've got and what formation/style would you use?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:42:09 »

I've not seen enough of us to answer that Reg. Although I've never thought Thompson to be a centre half, he's a right back.

If you are losing games and on bad form, I'd always suggest going to back to basics. Trying to be solid. Something like a 442, 4411 or 451.

In some cases, it's an unambitious formation (particularly 451) but when you're off form not losing becomes more important than winning (as stupid at that sounds) get a couple of draws, even if they are shit boring 10 men behind the ball 0-0s and go from there. It's something to build on.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:42:54 »

I don't think our style of play can change for the reasons reg posted.

but I'm baffled why it's so rigid in formation during the game, particularly like v Rovers when we went 3 on 3
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 09:46:26 »

Then I'd suggest as a football club we're fucked if we can't react to our results and change things.
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:13:10 »

Listening to Williams say that Norris is getting fitter week by week.
Fuck me, it is nearly October and the cunts aren't fit yet.
Jeeez

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
Chippy Red

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:22:07 »

Haven't read thread.

We have had good teams and bad and before now I've never disliked the way we play before.  To me powers model has failed. He was a player so should know what makes a competitive team.  But all this about us not being able to compete physically is an awful thing.

You have to be able to win the battle to play your football. We have no leaders on the pitch and certainly not in the dug out. Williams is out of his depth for me.  He isn't a motivator.  Where is the passion in our play.  We are negative, we go backwards automatically.

Every ex player your hear on radio or TV says you should look to play forward first.  Doesn't mean long ball just means to look to be attacking.  We struggle to find any tempo to our play.  Our full backs can't defend. Our midfield has no bite to it and are very slow. And upfront we are struggling to score.

Power brings the players in but it's all about technically good. But with no physical strength or ability to tackle it seems.  Every fan wanted an experienced centre back.  The kids need guidance out there, someone to look to, someone to bollock them and get them doing what they should be.

We are getting beat by organised teams that are able to beat us up.  There was nothing amazing about Northampton or rovers who i thought were crap.  But we look like we will leak goals all the time.  Accidents waiting to happen and up front the strikers look toothless.

Fans want and expect to see commitment, to see high energy, to see players busting a gut for the cause.  Even when loosing we are still playing chuckle brothers football along our own back line, " to me, to you".

If what your doing doesn't work you have to change it.   While our club mantra is just keep doing that and hope for the best were fucked.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:24:49 by Chippy Red » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #221 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:25:50 »

Or maybe the manager is just not good enough?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:26:17 »

Sean Murray, is a long long way from being a saleable asset....maybe if he can stay fit, cut out the errors for the rest of the season.

Brophy is a throwback footballer....needs a season of solid improvement. You never know, but a long way to go still.

Vigs....keepers don't tend to be too sellable. Wes was a very good keeper, but nobody wanted to buy him. Oddly Henry could be one who we might get a few bob for, especially if he gets a little run of games and does OK.

That's why I used the word 'Potential'

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:30:48 »

Or maybe the manager is just not good enough?
He's just not a manager and he's blinded by his belief that this is the way football should be played.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Wednesday, September 28, 2016, 10:35:27 »

Formations don't win or lose games the players do.
Play the formation that best suites your squad. We clearly don't have the players for 352 so don't play it.
I'd suggest we need a back to basics, solid, two banks of four - 442 but we have no wingers!
I've not seen enough of us to answer that Reg. Although I've never thought Thompson to be a centre half, he's a right back.

If you are losing games and on bad form, I'd always suggest going to back to basics. Trying to be solid. Something like a 442, 4411 or 451.

In some cases, it's an unambitious formation (particularly 451) but when you're off form not losing becomes more important than winning (as stupid at that sounds) get a couple of draws, even if they are shit boring 10 men behind the ball 0-0s and go from there. It's something to build on.

So do tactics and formations matter or not?

Anyway, we have individuals who are good enough for this level who just need a system that suits them and a manager who can get them to play as a team, it's becoming a common theme that watching us seems like watching 11 people who haven't even met before let alone trained together. It isn't rocket science and that's the most frustrating thing about it all.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: