Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oldham vs Swindon official matchday thread  (Read 21511 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #120 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 08:42:47 »

As always on a Sunday morning I like to read what our previous days opposition fans have to say about us, good or bad, so here are some comments plus a match report from Oldhams perspective.

Absolutely dismal today. Swindon came here on the back of a bad midweek home defeat and 3 successive losses, they travelled hundreds of miles to BP while Latics had the luxury of a full weeks rest - supposedly working on tactics to win the game.

I didn't see much of his much vaunted work ethic today as our players stood watching Swindon run rings round us.

Swindon walked past us all game with ease.

Swindon breezed past Klok and Banks like they where statues and at the end where actually taking the piss out of us on the near touchline.

worryingly at home we look like the away team with every man in our own half, there was no pressure on the ball and we gave Swindon far too much opportunity to stroll up the pitch at will, if our defence has an off day we get battered and Swindon in truth should of had three or four in each half

The only positive in that game was Ripley, they should have scored 4 or 5.

If we'd have played on a Wembley type surface Swindon would have shown us up even more, they passed us to death.

We were all looking to find out who the Swindon number 2 was, who ran the show from start to finish.

You mean Thompson who played in the centre of the back 3 yeah good player brought the ball out the back well for them. Thought the left wing back who scored the second was pretty good really motored up and down the flank.

The left wingback given the freedom of boundary park by Croft first half? he had a great game, but he was given soooo much space.

Ripley was man of the match for me as he seemed to be in a shooting gallery at one stage.

Have Swindon a much bigger budget?, surely not, but every one of their players were so comfortable on and off the ball, moving for each other, finding space, neat little triangles of one touch football all over the pitch. Technically they were absolutely streets ahead of us and I thought they were going to score 4 or 5!!

https://joeoafc.wordpress.com/2016/09/24/oldham-0-2-swindon-the-post-match-verdict/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 08:52:59 »

Sounds like we were a different team to recent performances. Funny old game.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
REDBUCK

« Reply #122 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 09:32:20 »

Not really. Sounds like Oldham weren't on plan from recent games and didn't really press the ball when had it. We always find it easier when teams allows us time and space.

Northampton won't let us rest on Tuesday and will put our defence under a lot of pressure I suspect.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #123 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 09:49:09 »

Not really. Sounds like Oldham weren't on plan from recent games and didn't really press the ball when had it. We always find it easier when teams allows us time and space.

Northampton won't let us rest on Tuesday and will put our defence under a lot of pressure I suspect.
I prefer to focus on the Swindon side and would like to think that we made them look bad by playing better than them rather than focus on the negatives and think the opposition played badly making us look good.

But then thats just me with that opinion it would seem.

Flashheart

« Reply #124 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 10:19:59 »

Right.

So when we lose it's because we're shit and when we win, it's because the opposition were shit?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #125 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 10:22:21 »

Right.

So when we lose it's because we're shit and when we win, it's because the opposition were shit?
It seems so doesn't it.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 10:26:13 »

Right.

There is an element of truth in this....it's early doors, but we can see that 2 of our 3 wins came v Cov and Oldham, both of whom have only scored 4 goals so far this season, and have one win between them, which suggests they might not be very good.

We need the evidence of a decent run before we can tell if this squad has turned some sort of corner....certainly Tuesday night will provide a better idea.
Flashheart

« Reply #127 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 11:02:03 »

Or maybe we just played well?

Now there's a crazy thought!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 11:10:39 »

Or maybe we just played well?

Now there's a crazy thought!

According to Luke we were no different to the games we lost....of course it helps, if the wankers in black don't give phantom pens, don't disallow perfectly good goals 2 mins after they've been scored and give the requisite cards to opposition players who assault our young bucks.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 11:36:49 »

Highlights would suggest Goddard had his best game in a Town shirt. Or Oldham let him, whatever.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 11:50:50 »

Belated report. Good decision to plan trip to Boundary Park -first visit nice enough ground -on way back from week's holiday in very sunny Scotland. Thanks to all of you who gave useful tips on where to visit by the way, would thoroughly recommend it as a holiday destination, weather dependant and we were lucky. On to the game, which we completely dominated from start to finish - bar 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half just before Boo scored. Collectively and individually bar none we were very good. Thompson, Kasim, Goddard and Obika particularly impressive. 100% commitment good pressing  and clearly determined to get the win. Sense of togetherness and Thompson, Jones and Branco had their own little group hug at the end to celebrate the clean sheet. What was the difference from the Bury game? - I missed the Rovers rematch due to holiday, good choice.Oldham were poor, didn't press us and clearly lacked belief when we went ahead. Against Bury we were always chasing the game and the incorrect offside decision went against us. Bury were also a more confident outfit than Oldham and pressed us but even so second half we should and could have got a result. It is really small margins, such as taking chances, an example being Clarke missing an absolute sitter for Oldham at one nil yesterday just before Boo scored. That might well have changed things, as per Obika's disallowed goal. We are as good as anyone in this league when we get the breaks and as weak as any when we don't. Points to a mid table finish, although if we keep key players fit - Vigs, Thompson, Kasim and Obika are the spine of the team and could all play at a higher level - we will have a chance of a shot at the play offs. If we lose 2 or 3 of those for long periods it could easily go the other way. Forgot to mention but felt that Furlong, Boo, Goddard and Thomas all had their best games for us. Team had a good shape to it, wing backs got forward well and crossing much better. Well done to Williams on team selection and motivation -I am sure players play for and respect him.
hefty toe

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 12:09:20 »

That pretty much sums it up, Kirky.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 12:14:01 »

when our football works it god damn works.

when it doesn't, we carry on regardless.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 12:17:35 »

Poor Oldham couldn't deal with us.

I think there was 17 passes for the first goal.

A team that stands still and let's us knock it about are fucked.

A team that shuts us down and gets in our face and goes direct....and we are fucked.

Delighted with the win, I hope we can string some results together now.

Big test on Tuesday night.

Clems Army!
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Sunday, September 25, 2016, 13:41:46 »

Flash is spot on. I suspect Northampton will be more the pressing type of side so a far more difficult game is likely. Dealing with that style is the problem that we have struggled with for a few years. We have enough combative players in defence - Jones and Branco won every header yesterday - but lacking an enforcer in midfield. I would have Furlong, who was very combative yesterday as well as quick, and Thomas as part of midfield 3 with Kasim for the more bruising games and Norris and Obika up front to add physical presence, although I thought that Delfonsoe was good yesterday particularly 2nd half and Norris offered little. Just think we should change certain players for certain games and use our more physical players when needed. Rogers on the bench for both types of opposition please!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: