Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fix issues with current laptop or just buy a new one?  (Read 8018 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 20:43:04 »

My laptop is now roughly three and a half years old. Its a HP Pavilion g6-2226sa. It has an Intel Core i3 3110 processor. 6gb of RAM, 900 GB storage. It still runs fairly quickly considering its age.

My issues with it so far are two main things. 1. The battery seems to be knackered and it needs to be plugged in constantly or it turns off and 2. some of the buttons have stopped working and I have to use the onscreen keyboard. So forgive lacking grammar at the moment along with the odd missing p, ' or 0.

The battery will most likely cost be anywhere from £35 to £50 plus then I'll have to pay someone to sort out the keyboard. What are the opinions of the more tech savy on here, what would you do? Might be a difficult question to answer until I get some quotes on a full fix but are your early impressions that I should pay to get these issues fixed or would I be better off in the long run just dropping £400 to £450 on a new one? Dont get me wrong Im not exactly rolling in it but Ive got some spare cash and I dont mind working out if thats what needs to be done.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:00:58 »

I'll be devils advocate and say keep if Windows 7. Don't care what anyone says Windows 10 is a downgrade, needs too much memory for running unneeded rubbish you can't ditch. So if buying I wouldn't consider anything less than 16GB ram which will up the price above your budget. 8GB doesn't cut the mustard in my opinion.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:05:27 »

I would say 8gb is more than enough, with an ssd. Even 4gb RAM is sufficient.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:28:04 »

Ive already 'upgraded' to Windows 10 on my current laptop. Silly me.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 21, 2016, 21:30:10 »

If the laptop does what you want it to do, get it repaired. The keyboard will be about £25 and it's a half hour job to fit.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 05:23:50 »

I'll be devils advocate and say keep if Windows 7. Don't care what anyone says Windows 10 is a downgrade, needs too much memory for running unneeded rubbish you can't ditch. So if buying I wouldn't consider anything less than 16GB ram which will up the price above your budget. 8GB doesn't cut the mustard in my opinion.

You've said it before on here, but you're still wrong.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 07:30:11 »

Windows 10 is the best OS from Microsoft as long as its set up correctly, as Sippo says in a laptop 4gb is enough but to be on the safe side 6 or 8gb is ample and doubtful you will ever use it all, an SSD is the biggest upgrade for any system and will speed everything up.

I buy keyboards for laptops for about £15 and normally I don't even charge people to replace them as its a 10 min job at most.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pavilion-g6-2200-Black-Keyboard-version/dp/B0148WGYNW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1474528790&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=g6-2226sa

Under £14.85p for yours.

A new battery for yours is £29.99.

The processor is as quick as anything in the £400 bracket already.

A 240gb SSD is £55 and fine for most needs and a 5 min fix...just a reinstall of the OS afterwards of course.

If that is the only problems with it then I wouldn't buy new just fix what you have for under £100 if you do it yourself, which is simple.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 07:41:52 »

You've said it before on here, but you're still wrong.

I think I've been around computer operating systems long enough to be able to spot a turd in emperors clothes so to speak. For the everyday person it's over complicated and bloated, and far less ease of use than 7 or XP. For higher end stuff yes it's better, but most people don't get to use those features.
Flashheart

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 08:17:38 »

an SSD is the biggest upgrade for any system and will speed everything up.

They look so expensive though. I'll be looking at about 500 quid for 1TB which is half my current storage capacity. Or am I missing something? *Edit OK, seen a cheaper one for about £250, still a tad pricey though.
Flashheart

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 08:29:47 »

As for Windows 10: The auto update pisses me off at times. It hijacked my PC for 2 hours the other night. Good job I was just working and not doing important stuff like gaming. It takes an hour or so faffing about once it's finished as well turning off the features that the update had turned back on again. I'm not a fan of faf.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 09:16:40 »

They look so expensive though. I'll be looking at about 500 quid for 1TB which is half my current storage capacity. Or am I missing something? *Edit OK, seen a cheaper one for about £250, still a tad pricey though.

Get a 250gb or 500gb one and use it for your OS and keep your standard for storage. Your PC will be stupidly faster.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 09:18:37 »

I think I've been around computer operating systems long enough to be able to spot a turd in emperors clothes so to speak. For the everyday person it's over complicated and bloated, and far less ease of use than 7 or XP. For higher end stuff yes it's better, but most people don't get to use those features.

How is it bloated and complicated? My use between 7 and 10 has not changed. Things are still where you expect them to be, if anything the search function makes finding settings a lot easier.

I think you just don't like change.

Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 09:21:29 »

Get a 250gb or 500gb one and use it for your OS and keep your standard for storage. Your PC will be stupidly faster.

That's an idea.

I need to get some upgrades/repairs done soon-ish anyway. I need a new motherboard so I had might as well get an upgrade while I'm at it. I also need to sort some better cooling out as my CPU fan sounds as though it's going to take off at times.

Gotta make the money first though.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 10:02:12 »

How is it bloated and complicated? My use between 7 and 10 has not changed. Things are still where you expect them to be, if anything the search function makes finding settings a lot easier.

I think you just don't like change.

There's an element of truth in that statement!
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 10:38:31 »

I also need to sort some better cooling out as my CPU fan sounds as though it's going to take off at times.

You sure it's CPU? Could be your GPU fan. I've still got a GTX650 and it is beyond loud on any modern game.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: