Poll
Question: Come on. Who honestly thought we'd do well this year?  (Voting closed: Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 20:27:18)
me - 15 (25%)
not me - 33 (55%)
i've changed my mind - 2 (3.3%)
i knew we were shit from the off - 10 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Honest opinion  (Read 14579 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 13:39:00 »

I think it's intended to do three things 1) attract players that have been released from academies 2) make them look good for resale 3) progress the club by making it look like an attractive place to send loans/hoover up rejects of a quality that may have ended up elsewhere had we not done so, and on the cheap too.

I have my doubts about it progressing the club personally. But I can sort of see sense in the philosophy if not fully buy into it.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 14:04:08 »

It's intention is to be successful utilising a small budget. Younger players are cheaper, easier to mould and develop (so a sell on fee is likely) and most young players nowadays are trained to play a certain way. It's the smartest model we've used since I've been a Town fan. Club doesn't generate much income (pretty sure it runs at a loss) so it's our only chance of going up. I understand the frustration of Town fans who are very short minded (well most football fans are tbh) but it makes sense to me. Power invests when he's keen on a player. It makes us attractive to young players too, as they see it as a chance to grow and get a good move. Williams is therefore essential as he is a very good coach and comes with a great reputation which makes us more appealing.

8th and 4th on a shoe string budget was impressive. Blip last year but with all the injuries we had all season and massive turnover of personnel it was always going to be tough. As I've said before, I think we'll be OK this year. We need to try and settle the squad down a bit, but I've seen enough quality in the team.

My only dislike of this plan is it just shows no long term ambition. Whilst I appreciate the need to survive (and I am also grateful for this), we'll never grow as a club and I fear we'll get left behind. The stadium is falling apart and we need to try and tap into a growing Swindon population but Power seems interested in neither of these things. A new training ground will help, but I think he needs to start thinking about the future a bit more.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 14:47:50 »

It's intention is to be successful utilising a small budget. Younger players are cheaper, easier to mould and develop (so a sell on fee is likely) and most young players nowadays are trained to play a certain way. It's the smartest model we've used since I've been a Town fan. Club doesn't generate much income (pretty sure it runs at a loss) so it's our only chance of going up. I understand the frustration of Town fans who are very short minded (well most football fans are tbh) but it makes sense to me. Power invests when he's keen on a player. It makes us attractive to young players too, as they see it as a chance to grow and get a good move. Williams is therefore essential as he is a very good coach and comes with a great reputation which makes us more appealing.

8th and 4th on a shoe string budget was impressive. Blip last year but with all the injuries we had all season and massive turnover of personnel it was always going to be tough. As I've said before, I think we'll be OK this year. We need to try and settle the squad down a bit, but I've seen enough quality in the team.

My only dislike of this plan is it just shows no long term ambition. Whilst I appreciate the need to survive (and I am also grateful for this), we'll never grow as a club and I fear we'll get left behind. The stadium is falling apart and we need to try and tap into a growing Swindon population but Power seems interested in neither of these things. A new training ground will help, but I think he needs to start thinking about the future a bit more.

The problem with this analysis is yes it worked for a while.....the early success due to Sherwood being at Spurs, and there still being a few players knocking around from the previous PdC regime, but the brief vogue for Spanish style possession football in England has gone.  Look at Roberto Martinez. ...it may have some attraction at the very top end with a fella like Pep, but let's see where that ends up.

On the up are Italian pragmatists like Ranieri, Walter Mazzarri, Antonio Conte....get the defence right 4-4-2, although I believe WM flirts with 3-5-2 on occasions. Guidolin at Swansea, I'm not sure if he's moving them away from how they played under Martinez Rodgers etc.

Pragmatists, like athletes, big strong boys who are quick....it's partly why we had no-one to sell other than NA last season. A 20+ goalscorer will always attract some attention, but he had to stay in Div 3, cos he's a short arse.

That we had no-one to sell represents a failure for Power, more so than our struggle with relegation.

A few years ago Kingy insisted that our youth recruitment should go for big lads....we got Tozer, Morrison and Jutkiewicz, who scored for Brum Sat, probably fetched a combined sum of 8 mill in transfers to us and more so others.

Of what we currently have, Yaser is by far the stand out player, yet because of his style being at odds with the zeitgeist we'll get nowt for him.  Miles away from a fee for the rest.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 16:35:30 »

Players who are taught properly can play any system and the point of what Williams is trying to coach is precisely to teach them to solve problems on the pitch, not play set routine or patterns. It is designed to make them more adaptable and so transferable - if they are good enough (and yes, strong enough) No point buying a L1 player who can't pass in L1, they'll be even worse higher up and so on.

Also most of the coaches you mentioned play and have played 352. Most managers will play multiple systems and the significance of formations is hugely overstated.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 19, 2016, 17:14:40 by A Gent Orange » Logged
Chrystovski

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 07:33:20 »

I think the evidence for this season points to the problem being at the other end....we're the 3rd lowest scorers in the Div.

Have only scored 2 once, one a pen and an OG, and have a leading scorer with 2, one a pen, now out for a while. 

Jon Obika, can maybe help out here, and I'm not sure what's happened to Jordan Young, but if Norris, Delfouneso and Hylton score more than 10 between them I'll be majorly surprised. Obviously hopes are that Goddard can wade in with a few from midfield, as he did for Woking, and you can see he's bright, but like a lot of our lads physically slight, so that's something he'll have to work on.

I'd agree we look short up top but defensively we still gift goals to the oppo.

Posh's 1st goal, Oxford's & Bury's 2nd. 3 goals gifted in the last 3 games. We don't seem to learn from our carelessness with possession.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2016, 07:55:02 »

I'd call Oxfords 2nd a fluke rather than a gift. 90% of the time that goes anywhere but the net
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: