Poll
Question: Come on. Who honestly thought we'd do well this year?  (Voting closed: Tuesday, September 27, 2016, 20:27:18)
me - 15 (25%)
not me - 33 (55%)
i've changed my mind - 2 (3.3%)
i knew we were shit from the off - 10 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 57

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Honest opinion  (Read 14577 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 10:00:15 »

I wouldn't read too much into to it. There's only been 3 games. Some figures:

Our average so far has been 7,364. Including Bury and Vale which were never going to see big crowds. Coventry saw a decent crowd.

Last years average after 3 games was 7,910. A bit of a drop, but those games did include Bradford and Sheff Utd. Vale saw a crowd of just over 7k

Last year's average for the SAME games at home was 7,378. An average attendance of just 14 more than the same games his season.

While the figures for this season don't include an evening game, they don't include the rovers game either.

It doesn't look good at face value but with a little digging it's not nearly as dramatic as it first appears. In fact, had the Rovers game not been abandoned we would likely have seen an INCREASE overall for the same games and perhaps also for the first 4, but acts of god and all that.

Surprising, that! Suppose tomorrow's attendance - minus STs - is free money. If we get, say, 7500 it would mean the equivalent of adding approx 200 to the season's eventual attendance average.

I'm still not sure Williams knows his best midfield combo. I think there should be a spot for Goddard but God knows where.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 10:07:23 »

free money - above covering costs
Flashheart

« Reply #47 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 10:39:19 »

Our average over the whole of last years was 7.409. At 7,364 we are currently just a smidgen below that.

They're meaningless stats really as the sample size is so small, but that's pretty much the point I am making.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 10:53:25 »

Our average over the whole of last years was 7.409. At 7,364 we are currently just a smidgen below that.

They're meaningless stats really as the sample size is so small, but that's pretty much the point I am making.

Last season there were no derbys, also of the teams going well, Barnsley were only just above us, having won in mid week when they visited in Jan, Burton only have a few fans, Wigan being the curio as they brought more than you'd usually expect for them.

So this season with derbies, with perhaps the competing clubs going well bringing a fair few, that should compensate for the fall off in Town fans. Scunny look like the team to beat atm....when do we go there...conceded 12 goals on our last 3 visits  Sad
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 11:51:05 »

Scunny look like the team to beat atm....when do we go there...

October 29th
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 12:16:23 »

October 29th

Hopefully they'll have run out of steam by then.
Sir Cliff Pipehard

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 12:26:53 »

In our record-breaking 85-86 season after 7 games we had 7 points and were 21st in the league.

I appreciate it was Division 4 in the '80's and the  team played under the threat of being sent by Macari to the Army camp,but the point remains,there's always a place for hope and positive thinking.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 12:28:53 »

there's always a place for hope and positive thinking.

You will get to understand Reg
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 12:50:54 »

You will get to understand Reg

I understand fully my friend.  

Let's consider the analogy...the previous season to 85/86, we had been very modest for long periods, leading funnily enough to a 6 goal drubbing at Scunny, a result along with other factors which provided the Board with reason to sack Macari....we all know he was re-instated after fan protest. Reason, fans could see enough evidence that things were improving albeit slowly.

The evidence presented to fans atm is that things are getting worse....now it's not yet terminal, but some sort of evidence of progress will be needed....lose by a few tomorrow and we slip into the drop zone, now for me I'd still entertain hope that we might get out like last season, and this provides the focus for the season.

I'm happy with that. I support a Div 3 club, that has generally struggled apart from the odd period, when things have been rosier.

It may be however that we'll need a change of manager to ensure our Div 3 survival....I'm not convinced that LW is the man, hopefully he proves he is starting Tuesday.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 19, 2016, 12:52:28 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Chrystovski

« Reply #54 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 12:54:01 »

I think we are where I expected us. Judging Power purely on the time since he's been here you'd probably argue the team on the pitch has gone backwards. A couple of top 8 finishes in the first couple of seasons followed by 16th place last season & based on what we've seen so far I'd say we are likely to finish around the same sort of position. Although I'm aware we are only 6 weeks into the season and there is plenty of time for that to change.

What pisses me off the most is our inability to change or learn from our mistakes. We are now into our 4th season of Power's pretty football and we still continue to make the same mistakes week in week out. You can guarantee we gift the opposition at least 3-4 chances per game because of our sloppy ball retention or passing.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 13:06:59 »

The only part of the team where we are weaker than last is up front.

We are better at the back, have great options in midfield but are, Obika apart, toothless in attack.

I'm convinced it's not the players available that's the problem - it's how Williams sets them up. After so many games using the 352 system it must be apparent it will not get us out of L1 - in the right direction, anyhow.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 13:11:50 »

"we have a way of playing, a style, we won't change that"

No matter how much we as fans want it, its not going to happen.

It probably suits our MO to be honest, where we pick up players that have spent the last few years at some academy playing flicky fanny football.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 13:15:02 »

I think we are where I expected us. Judging Power purely on the time since he's been here you'd probably argue the team on the pitch has gone backwards. A couple of top 8 finishes in the first couple of seasons followed by 16th place last season & based on what we've seen so far I'd say we are likely to finish around the same sort of position. Although I'm aware we are only 6 weeks into the season and there is plenty of time for that to change.

What pisses me off the most is our inability to change or learn from our mistakes. We are now into our 4th season of Power's pretty football and we still continue to make the same mistakes week in week out. You can guarantee we gift the opposition at least 3-4 chances per game because of our sloppy ball retention or passing.

I think the evidence for this season points to the problem being at the other end....we're the 3rd lowest scorers in the Div.

Have only scored 2 once, one a pen and an OG, and have a leading scorer with 2, one a pen, now out for a while. 

Jon Obika, can maybe help out here, and I'm not sure what's happened to Jordan Young, but if Norris, Delfouneso and Hylton score more than 10 between them I'll be majorly surprised. Obviously hopes are that Goddard can wade in with a few from midfield, as he did for Woking, and you can see he's bright, but like a lot of our lads physically slight, so that's something he'll have to work on.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 13:19:03 »

I'm going for a top 10 finish. Crazy optimism, I know

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, September 19, 2016, 13:23:07 »

"we have a way of playing, a style, we won't change that"

No matter how much we as fans want it, its not going to happen.

It probably suits our MO to be honest, where we pick up players that have spent the last few years at some academy playing flicky fanny football.
Then, you have to ask the question is that style intended to progress the club or just some player's careers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: