Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Venice  (Read 1269 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« on: Thursday, September 15, 2016, 10:30:10 »

Need to pick your brains fellow TEF'ers...
It's the misses birthday February next year, and she's always wanted to go to Venice, so I'm going to book a weekend as a present.
I was wondering if any of you have been? What month is the best to go, without it being too busy? Places to go when we are their? Etc.
All advice appreciated.
AldbourneRed

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 15, 2016, 12:33:36 »

Venice is a brilliant city. Can't help you out with when to go as I went early Summer and it was rammed.

My key piece of advice is to not just stick to the touristy parts. There are many famous and spectacular sights focused around St Marks Square and the Grand Canal which are definitely worth doing, but for me the real charm of Venice was getting lost in the winding back streets.

Before I visited Venice I imagined it to be all about the canals, the bridges and the square. When I came away my memories of it were as a stunning medieval city, full of narrow streets, a unique atmosphere and the odd canal thrown in.

Take a map, wander randomly for a few hours not using it, taking in whatever you come across and then only use the map when you need to get back to your hotel.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 15, 2016, 14:53:22 »

What Aldbourne said. Also, go out to the island of Murano, famous for its glass, and to the Lido beach for another style of life. Probably best in April / May before it gets too crowded and humid.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 15, 2016, 16:47:20 »

Play Assassins creed, too. You'll get an overwhelming urge to climb the buildings.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: