Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 5 games in  (Read 13725 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:39:15 »

Maximum points at home so far and 2 points from 4 away games.

That form equates to 83-84 points over the season, which is potentially automatic promotion. Of course, such statistics are meaningless as it's far too early yet, but that doesn't stop some from casting prophecies of doom. If they can make such predictions, then so can I.

FUCK YEAH!                                                                                                                           

By my maths on current form we get to 59 points....same as last season. When we our embrace with relegation was more snogging with tongues than casual flirting. 
Flashheart

« Reply #31 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:42:14 »

Then I guess you're not taking into account that we have played 4 away and only 2 at home, it's rather a big factor to omit.
Flashheart

« Reply #32 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:42:56 »

But it's silly anyway, we could go on to win the next 10 or lose the next 10. We just have to wait and see.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:45:41 »

But it's silly anyway, we could go on to win the next 10 or lose the next 10. We just have to wait and see.

By extrapolation then we might as well just ignore the season, wait until May and see where we are. Where's the fun in that?
Flashheart

« Reply #34 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:49:27 »

Dunno about you, but I enjoy following matches. I expect most others do as well.  

What a silly comment Reg, you've missed the point by some distance it seems.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 12:05:30 »

Dunno about you, but I enjoy following matches. I expect most others do as well. 

What a silly question Reg, you've missed the point by some distance it seems.

Far from it...at this early stage of the season, I'm looking for signs of progress, from last season's disappointing campaign....there have been some fleeting glimpses, but they're evanescent.

It's no good when most fans go into a game expecting to lose, expecting indiscipline,  defensive errors and shot shy forwards....no progress there.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 12:20:23 »

I expect to win the next 2 games - Bury and Rovers both at home - that would probably see us in 4th.

I don't think you can compare last season to this as, God forbid, we surely can't have 10 or 11 players out injured again.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #37 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 12:20:27 »

The reason many fans expected us to lose yesterday is because of late we always lose against them, nothing to do with this seasons form, expecting indiscipline is due to it being a local derby as there are always players that get overhyped for such games.

My thoughts after 6 games are exactly as they were after the first 5, defensively we look better than last season, marginally, with Jones being a better player than Turnbull IMO already and Furlong looking like a good loan.

Attacking wise we look a little poorer than last season when Ajose was in a rich vein of form and Obika was playing well, whereas he hasn't really played this season as yet but I expect us to get better as players get fit and form picks up.

I think we will be mid table this season with some good and some bad games.

No team of Williams(or Powers) is going to score hatfulls of goals and chances will be hard to come by because our build up play in front of goal is too narrow even though we play with 2 attacking wing backs they dont get a decent delivery in the box often enough. We tend to try a short passing move that goes down the middle too often and into a wall of defenders with no shot at the end of it.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 12:26:06 »

The 'Oxford thing' isn't restricted to them. It's the same reason we've been turfed out of the FA Cup by Macclesfield x2 and Cheltenham.

We don't do passion. We are controlled and somewhat formulaic in our play. Our passion tends to manifest itself as rash challenges  and indiscipline.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 15:19:20 »

The 'Oxford thing' isn't restricted to them. It's the same reason we've been turfed out of the FA Cup by Macclesfield x2 and Cheltenham.

We don't do passion. We are controlled and somewhat formulaic in our play. Our passion tends to manifest itself as rash challenges  and indiscipline.

Good points. It's where the inexperience of the head coach shows itself, there should have been emphasis on not getting sucked into card collecting especially with a noted dodgy ref.

Nevertheless a couple of seasons back we could sucker the Shitheads into an early red and withstand their attempts at intimidation, so it can be done.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 15:45:59 »

We did Passion under the mad Italian, we still got beat by Oxford 3 times.

I'm assuming that all our special fans (not aimed at you Mr Bellend, just some of the comments I've seen on FB) were calling for Di Canio to be sacked when we lost at home to them that season
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, September 29, 2016, 20:48:55 »

So 10 games in, any revision on the season so far from the original 5 game posters?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, September 29, 2016, 20:58:59 »

Bit more end product, top 10, easy.

I'll stick with this. This league is all much of a muchness, no outstanding teams (yet)
Flashheart

« Reply #43 on: Thursday, September 29, 2016, 21:03:39 »

FUCK YEAH!
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, September 30, 2016, 06:47:19 »

This from Alex Cooke on the Washbag is worth reading on where STFC go from here:

https://thewashbag.com/2016/09/30/how-can-town-find-a-brighter-outlook/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: