Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 5 games in  (Read 13742 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, September 4, 2016, 09:05:21 »

Watching that yesterday, I didn't feel as though as defensive clanger was just around the corner. I know their penalty was down to a mistake, but I felt as though that was more down to an individual error from a new player than something inherent in the system.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, September 4, 2016, 09:23:45 »

12 after 13 last season.

So we have the same number of points as last season, and we then won the next game (which I'd settle for this year Wink ).

However after that we had a run of 2 points in 10 games, which was in the main part due to the lack of depth in our squad, which hopefully won't happen again this season.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 4, 2016, 10:00:47 »

Watching that yesterday, I didn't feel as though as defensive clanger was just around the corner. I know their penalty was down to a mistake, but I felt as though that was more down to an individual error from a new player than something inherent in the system.
Probably the most blatant penalty you'll see anywhere this season but entirely down to individual lack of awareness, was it his first touch as well?

We didn't fuck about with it too much at the back yesterday.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, September 4, 2016, 10:38:05 »

Well I didn't judge the season before it started because I'm not a fucking knob, but I like what I've seen so far and I'd say mid table +/- a couple of places depending on the form we manage to find up front. I do think the size of our squad means a good run of form is important (not that it's ever a bad thing, obviously, but consistency could be the difference IMO.) I phrased that terribly.
You mean you didn't judge the side before we had began to sign players?
What is this madness!!??
Bathtime

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, September 4, 2016, 10:49:06 »

It is a good start in my book - reasonably talented bunch assembled by Williams and Power - defensively looking quite secure - scoring goals major issue at the moment but optimistic at this stage that we will work that one out - I reckon play offs or not for off - hardly exciting times but don`t think we are going down...

Bathtime
Malvern Red

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, September 4, 2016, 12:45:00 »

I'm reasonably pleased with results in our first 5 games a lot better than most fans predicted with the exception of Chesterfield, I still feel Williams doesn't know his best side as he's not had all of his options available to him. It's obvious to most fans that Kasim is now seen as our best player although if I'm honest I'd say it would be Doughty, really impressed with Thomas yesterday and think given more starts in a midfield role will only improve for me the only weaknesses at the moment are Anton who is the weakest midfielder we have in the squad yes he's improved slightly from last season but he's not good enough to be starting games also the wingback position Barry is shocking when we have JSW and Branco back he surely has to lose his place to Furlong, on the left yesterday I thought BOO looked better in his cameo than Brophy did all game their defender had him in his pocket all game and when he did have a chance to take his defender on Brophy kept cutting inside. I felt sorry for ND yesterday I thought he made some intelligent runs yesterday that weren't seen by our midfielders he doesn't look match fit yet but once he's up to speed think we'll have a great player on our hands we desperately need a poacher like Cox,Ajose,Austin upfront and we'll be ok I like the look of Goddard and thought Norris looked sharp when he came on all in all we have a better squad than last season already and with a couple of additions in January feel we may surprise a few teams I'm going for a finishing position of 6-8 which is a massive improvement
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, September 4, 2016, 20:01:26 »

I don't think we do need a poacher.

What we need is a bit of creativity and flair.

Delfouneso and Norris look to me to provide 'endeavour'.
Doughty, on yesterday's performance, provides energy.
Goddard may well be the one who finds space in the box.
Thomas is the workman of midfield (and the closest to being a battler)
Kasim is the most likely to be able to unlock tight defences with a bit of flair.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, September 4, 2016, 20:35:29 »

Obika will go a long way to generating some space for others around him, he's so much stronger than the other forwards we have and will be so much more of a burden on defenses trying to contain him. 

This should lead to more clear cut chances than we've had so far, hopefully we'll put them away.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #23 on: Monday, September 5, 2016, 08:16:10 »

Obika will go a long way to generating some space for others around him, he's so much stronger than the other forwards we have and will be so much more of a burden on defenses trying to contain him. 

This should lead to more clear cut chances than we've had so far, hopefully we'll put them away.
I agree with that, Obika is a vastly underrated player in our team, we definately know when he isn't playing.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 10:34:05 »

Anyone changing their mind 6 games in?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 10:42:04 »

Still think we'll be nearer the top 6 than the bottom 6.

Yesterday is no different to the hold we have over Vale in recent seasons. If it wasn't Oxford nobody would be mentioning it.

We are obviously better than last season and I've been impressed overall. Duplicate the 2 defeats in 10 league games and we'll be thereabouts.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:24:47 »

Still think we'll be nearer the top 6 than the bottom 6.

Yesterday is no different to the hold we have over Vale in recent seasons. If it wasn't Oxford nobody would be mentioning it.

We are obviously better than last season and I've been impressed overall. Duplicate the 2 defeats in 10 league games and we'll be thereabouts.

We lost at in Burslem in Feb. In fact we last won an away game in Feb, 10 games ago....that will need to change asap, as it's a worrying trend, like the non scoring strikers.

The mid week game is now distinctly strange.....presumably we could play Vigs and Jones, but Henry will need the run out to get ready for the 3 league games.

Similarly, our on going problem is the lack of continuity caused by injuries, call ups, suspensions, so an ideal opportunity to pick the side that will start v Bury and give them a run out, perhaps the strikers might score. The downside is the damage that might happen if we get stuffed....when you consider Chelsea have 38 players out on loan, it should be a proper kids team.
Flashheart

« Reply #27 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:34:00 »

Maximum points at home so far and 2 points from 4 away games.

That form equates to 83-84 points over the season, which is potentially automatic promotion. Of course, such statistics are meaningless as it's far too early yet, but that doesn't stop some from casting prophecies of doom. If they can make such predictions, then so can I.

FUCK YEAH!                                                                                                                           
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:38:34 »

I'm not overly concerned by what I have seen so far. We look a lot more solid and more willing to mix it up a bit more. My only two concerns are our away form and strikers. None of our target men had found the net yet which concerns me. I'm not confident the Ajose void will be filled if I'm honest.

Out away form doesn't look great. 4 games so far and only 2 points. Two poor showings at Chesterfield and the Pox are probably to be expected as we always seem to lose to them. I guess Gills and Posh are both tough games but we will need to start getting the odd win on the road soon otherwise out home form will become even more important.

After 6 games though we are exactly where I expected us to be....mid table. 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats. That smacks of a 15th place finish to me. I'd probably be happy with that if I am honest.
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #29 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 11:39:08 »

We're fucking going up.

FUCK YEAH

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: