Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The goalkeeper as "outfield player" thing  (Read 6534 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 09:31:24 »

Been quite interesting this weekend observing the Pep on Hart situation, Barca and comparing it to little old STFC.

Saw a few minutes of the Man C game and was amused how City fans got excited when Willy didn't hoof it up the park, but played a pass, to Stones to have a little run into the midfield or lay it off.....all a bit Nathan Thompson.

Watched the Barca game from San Mames.....Barca have flogged Claudio Bravo to City, he's a midget but reckoned to be good with the ball....but a couple of years back bought Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, whose also a midget but reckoned good with the ball.

Talk about just like watching Town....Ter Stegen had more touches than most Barca players and takes huge risks in trying to maintain possession....made a couple of STFC style cock ups which could have led to their downfall, but got away with it.  The advantages obvious, draw players into the press like a matador then exploit the spaces created for quick breaks.

It's commendable that we're well ahead in what will now be the media hype thing , even though it's heart in mouth stuff at times...hopefully Vigs can develop this side of his game.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 29, 2016, 09:33:02 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 09:36:31 »

GET IT FORWARD!
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 09:53:38 »

GET IT FORWARD!

What an apt response.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 09:57:43 »

You'd do well to find any of the other 71 EFL teams who play better football than we do.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 10:00:15 »

there is a debate to be had on what 'better' is. not sure I can be arsed with it though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 10:08:19 »

there is a debate to be had on what 'better' is. not sure I can be arsed with it though.

Well clearly if our football was better than the others we'd presently be top of the Championship. We're not. Our style is high risk, when it's good it's very, very good when it's bad, it's horrid.

This will be me watching on the box next weekend....

Sofa

Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 10:58:37 »

Interesting this as it seems to stem from Guardiolas influence from a certain J Cruyff and the dutch total football. Cruyff used a Chilean goalkeeping coach who also coached Bravo. They also believe in two types of keeper A keepers (ones who anticipate) and R keepers (ones who react)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 11:11:59 »

Interesting this as it seems to stem from Guardiolas influence from a certain J Cruyff and the dutch total football. Cruyff used a Chilean goalkeeping coach who also coached Bravo. They also believe in two types of keeper A keepers (ones who anticipate) and R keepers (ones who react)

All these things come and go with fashion....Guardiola/Barca, seem to be going against the current trend that all goalkeepers need to be 6ft 5inch giants.  I suspect that Luke Williams sees Belford as some sort of goalkeeper who's happier with the ball at feet, than most.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 11:59:30 »

If Man City wanted an English keeper to be their 'outfield player' they should've gone for Fodderingham. Vigs is not as good as Wes with his feet, but I believe he's getting better... Guardiola wants instant results, so he's gone for the safe option, in someone he knows.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 11:59:42 »

Glad he was because he never inspired me with confidence! Belford gave me the jitters .

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 12:56:39 »

Regarding Hart, I'm not fully convinced he is being overlooked purely due to him not being a footballing goalkeeper. He is at times very suspect with his shot stopping which is for goalkeepers the bread and butter part of their game.
I can only speak for myself but I've always thought he was overrated.

With Swindon trying to play from the back, I think the problem lies with the inexperience of the players trying the system and the pressure that brings from the stands when it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 29, 2016, 12:58:17 by Arriba » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 12:59:18 »

Regarding Hart, I'm not fully convinced he is being overlooked purely due to him not being a footballing goalkeeper. He is at times very suspect with his shot stopping which is for most goalkeepers the bread and butter part of their game.
I can only speeak for myself but I've always thought he was overrated.
I agree, I think he is up there with the poorest quality keepers England have ever played on a regular basis.

The only other one comparable was David James, who can be brilliant one minute then make a mess of the most basic saves the next.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 13:51:38 »

I agree, I think he is up there with the poorest quality keepers England have ever played on a regular basis.

The only other one comparable was David James, who can be brilliant one minute then make a mess of the most basic saves the next.

Agreed.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
adje

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 14:29:13 »

Cant understand all the sympathy for him.play shit,get dropped.
..he's not the first

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #14 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 14:39:31 »

Cant understand all the sympathy for him.play shit,get dropped.
..he's not the first
Yeah I don't understand it, at the Euros he was awful.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: