Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 51   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Bristol Rovers Official Matchday Thread  (Read 135212 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 19:12:09 »

The last tine I recall an abandonment at the CG for waterlogging, as opposed to frost, floodlight failure or fog was v BHA about 40 yeaars ago. Must have been Jan....at the time BHA were pissing the league and we were absolutely mullering them 4-0, it got to what seemed like 10 minutes to go on a typical CG mire, which was no worse than with 10 to go than it had been for most of the game, when the ref just took them off, and that was that.  It was always assumed he later received a bung as the only logical explanation.

At least today...it was clear that the game couldn't carry on....
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 19:27:18 »

The last tine I recall an abandonment at the CG for waterlogging, as opposed to frost, floodlight failure or fog was v BHA about 40 yeaars ago. Must have been Jan....at the time BHA were pissing the league and we were absolutely mullering them 4-0, it got to what seemed like 10 minutes to go on a typical CG mire, which was no worse than with 10 to go than it had been for most of the game, when the ref just took them off, and that was that.  It was always assumed he later received a bung as the only logical explanation.

I was there Reg it was snow, not rain that day.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 19:33:48 »

I was there Reg it was snow, not rain that day.

May have been sleet, but the pitch wasn't covered in white stuff.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 19:38:28 »

I might have a dodgy memory for some stuff, but that game isnt one of them. It caned it down with snow at the start of the 2nd half. I was in the shrivvy and couldnt see the Arkells. You were right we mullered them, Mchale got at least 2. I didnt make the rearranged but I seem to remember we didnt win it?
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 19:42:03 »

Any idea who this new goalkeeping coach mentioned on Twitter is? Apparently from QPR.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 19:56:18 »

Any idea who this new goalkeeping coach mentioned on Twitter is? Apparently from QPR.

Dean Thornton. Former Wycombe YTS who has spent almost a decade working with QPR's academy.

Town return to a manager, assistant and goalkeeper coach with no Football League appearances between them. Not that it's a big deal, just a quirk.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 19:59:25 »

I might have a dodgy memory for some stuff, but that game isnt one of them. It caned it down with snow at the start of the 2nd half. I was in the shrivvy and couldnt see the Arkells. You were right we mullered them, Mchale got at least 2. I didnt make the rearranged but I seem to remember we didnt win it?

We won the re-arranged game 2-1.    You can have snow like at the Bescot a couple of years back, when the pitch turns white, but unless proper blizzard you can usually get through that. Anyway snow is water, so the BHA abandonment was waterlogging not a freezing blizzard.

My particular favourite was a fog job v Bradford City in the early 90's. David Elleray was ref and we were 3-0 up when the fog descended......when I left the CG, you could hardly see the end of your outstretched arm.  When the replay happened Elleray added on the what seems  the obligatory 6 or 7 minutes from nowhere, when Town are trying to defend a goal lead and the Bantams duly equalised with just about the last kick.
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 20:01:22 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 20:20:22 »

Cheers George. It does seem that those who have the game taken away from them - by injury or rejection- who work harder/with more focus to get back in. Certainly an idea that we are following with some of our recruitment - Iandolo, Brophy, Gladwin, Goddard etc
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 20:50:32 »

Unless there has been a rule change I haven't seen, cards still stand.
Cheers Sutton. Said to my lad earlier, that years from now this game will be in a pub quiz and he'll be one of the bores going "I was at that game". History in the making!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 21:40:19 »

Yep it'll be like the Brighton game where one of the corespondents cant really remember it Wink
Flashheart

« Reply #160 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 21:45:24 »

But was it snow, sleet, rain or hail?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 06:36:36 »

New years day 1977.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 07:12:50 »

The guttering was overflowing as at one point the rain was just ridiculous, just had no where to go.
It's happened before in the DRS, West Brom game from about 97 era.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 07:25:12 »

Not the worst result. Do all the coppers get another days overtime that the club has to pay?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 08:04:51 »

Not the worst result. Do all the coppers get another days overtime that the club has to pay?
Some of those police and their riot vans were brought in from the Sussex constabulary!!  must have cost a bob or two.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 51   Go Up
Print
Jump to: