Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Bristol Rovers Official Matchday Thread  (Read 135210 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #735 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 13:08:41 »

We could win the league signing a whole squad of 28-32 year olds.

But you cant sell them on for good money!

Clems Army!
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #736 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 13:14:47 »

We could also get relegated. Prutton, Rose and Dossevi had plenty of experience on paper. No method is full-proof or perfect. Bolton have signed a lot of experienced players, got off to a great start and there's still plenty of their fans moaning on the Internet saying they aren't good enough.

Shrewsbury have also signed a host of experienced players. Unfortunately, they are also all mediocre to poor. Sometimes experience in League One just means several seasons of being a very average player.

I think the players we have are largely absolutely fine to have a decent League One season. But because we look to play each game identically, opposition managers have better methods to combat us than they did a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 13:22:33 by aroundthefur » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #737 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 13:24:05 »

I've never known Town fans to not be unhappy about SOMETHING. My dad loves to tell me a story of how one game he went to, a Town fan abused Duncan Shearer by saying "All you do is score".

We just have a bunch of whinging, melodramatic supporters and have done for as long as I can remember. The long ball football of Sturrock had us winning and people complained no end!
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #738 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 13:35:57 »

Something does feel 'wrong' about the club at the moment. There does feel a disconnect between the fans and the club. The media blackout and the lack of PR do not help things one bit. On the flip side, Andrew Steele-Davis has made a very good start since being appointed Press Officer; there have been more interviews and content on the Official Site in the last three weeks than the last couple of years.

There is surely no way anyone believes the answer to our on-field prayers is to sign a load of 30 year journeymen and start hitting relentless 60 yard diagonal balls. But, the current playing style has gone stale. We lack the top end players we had in recent seasons (the Spurs boys mainly) and opposition managers have got better at countering us. Sometimes playing out from the back is the right thing to do. Sometimes we do it at all costs and it is totally low percentage but high risk. Surely there are playing styles between John Beck and current Luke Williams that would lead to us to getting more out of us this group of players than we look like doing at the moment?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #739 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 13:58:50 »

There is surely no way anyone believes the answer to our on-field prayers is to sign a load of 30 year journeymen and start hitting relentless 60 yard diagonal balls.
Are you sure? Pretty sure there's plenty who sit around me that would love that.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #740 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 14:09:27 »

Are you sure? Pretty sure there's plenty who sit around me that would love that.

Bring in Tony Thorpe, Jamie Cureton and Gareth Whalley. Success guaranteed!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #741 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 14:32:37 »

There is genuinely quality in our squad, albeit inconsistent quality.
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #742 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 14:54:44 »

I still believe in the squad, I just think they could be deployed in a different way.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #743 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 14:58:50 »

I've never known Town fans to not be unhappy about SOMETHING. My dad loves to tell me a story of how one game he went to, a Town fan abused Duncan Shearer by saying "All you do is score".

We just have a bunch of whinging, melodramatic supporters and have done for as long as I can remember. The long ball football of Sturrock had us winning and people complained no end!

I see it differently, in the main our core support are a fairly tolerant lot.....don't expect much more than a bit of effort, and the chance of some home wins. Of course people will vent a bit when it's comically shit, like Tuesday, but most shrug and resign themselves to it.

However, we do have some fans who moan about other fans, which is pretty much since social media.

Pre FB Twitter etc, all you got was things like the Arkells being referred to as God's Waiting Room..and TE chants of "Arkells Arkells give us a song," knowing there'd be complete silence.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #744 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 17:44:09 »

I reckon Luke has 2 more games tops....it won't have escaped Power's notice that we currently don't have a saleable asset...despite Luke's best turd polishing efforts.

I think this is an important point. Our model relies on finding rough diamonds in year 1, polishing them up and then selling on in year 2 or sooner (see Luongo, Byrne, Gladwin, Ajose).

Of last year's intake - Barry, BOO, Brophy, Stewart, Sendles-White (ish) and Branco & Rogers from earlier still - would we actually get money for any of them by the end of the season? Brophy potentially but lots of development needed yet and can't see a major fee.

With Obika and Kasim likely to go on frees, our model is reliant on Vigoreux, Murray, Thomas, Delfoneuso coming good very quickly.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #745 on: Thursday, September 22, 2016, 18:49:58 »

I think this is an important point. Our model relies on finding rough diamonds in year 1, polishing them up and then selling on in year 2 or sooner (see Luongo, Byrne, Gladwin, Ajose).

Of last year's intake - Barry, BOO, Brophy, Stewart, Sendles-White (ish) and Branco & Rogers from earlier still - would we actually get money for any of them by the end of the season? Brophy potentially but lots of development needed yet and can't see a major fee.

With Obika and Kasim likely to go on frees, our model is reliant on Vigoreux, Murray, Thomas, Delfoneuso coming good very quickly.

Luke will have to be like Aladdin on speed to get much more out of Thomas and Delfoneuso.  Murray, just doesn't look fit, so jury out on him. Vigs is OK, but keepers don't tend to have much of a market with regards to fees.
Benzel

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #746 on: Friday, September 23, 2016, 08:47:44 »

4 assists in 5 isn't it? The prospect of a fit Murray is already looking pretty mouthwatering

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #747 on: Friday, September 23, 2016, 08:52:53 »

Murray looks the part.
Panda Paws

« Reply #748 on: Friday, September 23, 2016, 10:05:55 »

He looks mint.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #749 on: Friday, September 23, 2016, 10:13:58 »

There's a world of difference, between looking decent and actually being decent. 

I used to watch George Barker, for signs that he might actually be a footballer, you could see that he had some technical qualities, but just no means to put them into any effective action. 

The reverse of George's coin, would be Junior Lewis, who looked like a slightly tipsy spider, yet was very effective in what he brought to the game.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 [50] 51   Go Up
Print
Jump to: