Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Port Vale Official Matchday Thread  (Read 28256 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 17:24:49 »

Some bloody stupid bookings today though. Petty and nonsensical.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 17:28:29 »

Belford has conceded 15 in 5 matches for southport...
Yeah but he was in team of the week last week!!!!

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
normy

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 17:41:04 »

We had a good squad available today, even without Beaky and Branco. Well done Mr. Power, I had been very worried about the defence pre-season.

ust be the oldest
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 17:45:10 »

Jones was absolute class. Never put a foot wrong.

Kasim and Doughty good overall. All 3 of our midfielders went through a spell of holding onto to ball too long instead using the easy option which led to us being dispossessed in the last 15 of the first half.

Wing backs average Barry's goal aside.

Norris and Delfouenso made it obvious they were playing their first game together with very little chemistry between them however both had their moments individually to suggest they will be decent additions in time. Both good in the air, strong, hold up play was decent, some intelligent runs from Delfouneso and Norris good with the ball at his feet, encouraging that Super Jon is still to come into the fold, should be quite a decent battle for places up front.

Don't agree with cheering Rodgers off the pitch but he was simply the weak link today, if he's starting every week I feel it may stop us totally fulfilling our potential. Nothing personal against the guy just don't think he'd be starting for many sides in this league.

Obviously a lot to work on but quite excited about the squad when it gels. Think having 3 strikers with a significant physical presence and decent pace could make us really dangerous away from home.

Vale were no mugs by the way, didn't have a great deal up front but got stuck in and certainly had their moments of control.

Very satisfying 3 points. Take 23 1-0's all day long!
Flashheart

« Reply #109 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 17:58:11 »

Very satisfying 3 points. Take 23 1-0's all day long!

I don't know you'd fit all those games in a day though.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 18:00:47 »

Kasim my motm today.
like the look of the new guy, fuck anyone who cheers like they did re: Rodgers. Fucking pathetic.
Vigs obviously needs to work on his kicks but he's a fantastic goalkeeper.

Hope brophy's alright.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
nigel grays a postie

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 19:05:21 »

Weird home debut for Jordan Stewart. Looked full of running but lightweight. Great chance but probably should have pulled it back for 2 men coming in rather than shot. Wtf he was doing with that booking only he knows. Probably best kept away from our penalty area as combination of shortness and rashness doesnt bode well.
Decent win though against side who were better than i expected. At least this year no handballs from corners in added on time from Liverpool loanees. Fantastic first half block from Jones to prevent certain Vale goal.

Rogers, Mayes, Shearer, Fjortoft, Cox, Austin, Ritchie. Seen em all flogged off on the cheap
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 19:26:28 »

Had to laugh when Vigoroux kicked long and Jordan Stewart and the 6ft + Vale centre back jumped for the ball. The Irish Messi was never going to win it but at least jumped and made the effort.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 20:11:04 »

When he's on song, I love watching Kasim play. Thought he was excellent today, great nimble feet, makes every move and pivot look effortless.

Thought Rodgers was better today, but also agree that he isn't good enough to be starting regularly. He tries those turns in tight spots too often and loses possession.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 20:22:09 »

I do like these early season games when there's so much new stuff to take in and before we may have settled on our opinions on players, shapes and pies to see us through the season.

For me, the way we pressed, continually winning the ball back high up the pitch for the first 30 minutes was really exciting - for those of us who've previously struggled with a slow tempo, keeping possession in our own half, this is really positive.  From there, old habits die hard: a maddening reluctance to put early crosses into the box, even with two strikers now actually In The Building.  Time and time again, Barry and Brophy took an extra touch, slowing momentum, before looking for fancy cut backs.  Just buy a bloody raffle ticket now and again lads.

Almost not believing their own luck, Vale came into it and created decent opportunities as we became stretched and ragged.  A midfield of Kasim, Rodgers and Doughty just doesn't have the legs when we don't have the ball - the reluctance to field a dog or two in there will maddeningly hold us back this season.

My debut in DRS block 6 was ended at half time as I moved to more comforting and familiar territory.  Is that special bloke down the front always there, or was it a one off?  He was, shall we say, just a little more individual than most of us.

Huge irony of course that the goal came amid our groans as Doughty didn't cross, and Barry supplied the end product.  The half time switch to play with two holding and a number 10 increasingly brought Doughty into the game - however assist aside, his general play was often erratic and inconsistent.  Once ahead, poor decision making going forward and the risk of being caught over-committed ensured the game went the distance, although Vale didn't create the open chances that they had earlier.

So some player reflections, and first opinions.  Nathan was imperious, just about faultless throughout- he's developed into an outstanding player at this level. Just behind him, for me, were Vigs, Jones and Kasim.  It was my first look at Jones, and I was hugely impressed.  Tougher tests ahead, but blimey, he looks a player.  More difficult to assess the front two, given they're clearly not fit, but did a job.  Norris was impressively strong and tidy, if lacking pace, though faded badly whilst Delfo, well, he looked like he enjoyed himself - signing autographs before the game and being kind and considerate to the Vale player he shoved into the Town End gravel.  So that's nice.

All in all - some reasonably predictable frustrations, with lots to build on, and I thought Lukey's comments afterwards were spot on.  As others have said, tonight's beer will taste good.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 20:28:49 »

I hop around the ground a fair bit but I've never seen/heard that guy before. Was he still there in the 2nd half?
Awkward really because you can't tell someone not to shout at a football match, but i can't imagine sitting next to the poor guy.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 21:34:03 »

As Christy said NT was comfortably the best player on the pitch today. Head & shoulders above everybody else. His charge down from their long range free kick epitomised everything that he's about.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 21:40:00 »

If Nathan stays injury and suspension free, we'll have a problem in January. He's way too good for this league if the two if's take a back seat for a long period.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 21:53:17 »

I hop around the ground a fair bit
For charity, or just for personal pleasure?
Paul Mason

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Saturday, August 20, 2016, 22:13:49 »

Been busy lately but managed to get to the game today and thought the team did quite well in patches of the game. Early days for the new front two but once match fit, they may well do quite well. Doughty a class act and defensively we didnt look too bad.

Encouraging signs  Banana Banana
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: