Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gillingham v Swindon Town - Official Matchday Thread  (Read 24043 times)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 23:17:32 »

Enjoyed that. Didn't let Gills play first half, really went for them second. Worth a point, could have lost it, could have won it. Considering we had no strikers we looked extremely dangerous on the counter 2nd half.

Sat in the home end so was interesting to watch Town as an opposition. Very frustrating to play against, and you could feel them shit themselves when we broke forward. Vigs wound them up big time as well, without even really doing anything.

Really impressed with Stewart when he came on. Goddard, Barry, Doughty, Thompson, JSW all pretty solid. Furlong was pretty impressive and looks to have something about him, great run for the penno. BOO didn't have a good game. Caught out too often and two daft yellows.

After 4 games it looks like Chesterfield was a one off, but a lot to work on definitely. Gillingham look a very good outfit, their RB in particular was very dangerous so a point with 10 men and 3 big players missing is a cracking return.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, August 16, 2016, 23:39:37 »

Think Vigs has really stepped up since he has come back.
Even if he did cost £400k which I know is doubtful it's looking like a bargain now, been top notch so far and looks to have all the attributes a keeper needs. The fact he seems to be able to wind up the opposition fans no end is obviously a bonus.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 00:02:53 »

Said to to dad once the team was announced that we must have a specific plan, it's just not a team you'd put out and hope for the best with.

We sure did, Gillingham didn't quite know what to make of us and we ultimately came away with a very well deserved point.

Stewart could really start to shine soon, with an Obika or a Norris to work off of he could cause some real problems, a massive plus so far this season.

Furlong looked the part, won almost everything in the air and was our 'out' ball from goal kicks which weren't too bad tonight, at least if they weren't exactly on the money they were into touch which under circumstances we find ourselves in really isn't a bad thing.

Been pondering the new loan rules lately and hopefully we're having our bad luck with injuries at the right time, at least we can do something about it at this stage - whether or not we do is up to you to decide depending on which side of the Power fence you like to sit... 

My point is that at some point this season most sides will find themselves short and with no emergency loans permitted there will be very little they can do.  We're making a very conscious decision to get the younger players time on the pitch - I think we'd be doing the same even with a full compliment - which may well be invaluable as the season wears on. 

Most League 1 teams simply cannot afford to have the type of experienced quality we'd all like to have at more of a squad level rather than first team level, the loan system has always been there to temporarily bridge this gap when injuries deplete squads and it will be very interesting to see how teams adjust.  You'd need to have the kind of luck Leicester had last season with injuries to be on a high all season.

Anyway, if the 4 points had come from a win against Cov, a draw at Chesterfield and a loss tonight people would be relatively satisfied so I'm going to remain optimistic as always.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 07:27:28 »

Vigs was worth the 400k just for winding up the Gills fans. The ones around me were going absolutely mental at him, I was telling a few of them 'you know this is how he wants you to react?'. He obviously likes being the pantomime villain. I was having a chuckle to myself though, it was hilarious.

Gotta say too, we dealt with JET extremely well. They were all banging on about him before the game and he didn't have a sniff. Thompson did him a few times.

Still pretty chuffed. The boys put in a shift and massive credit to Luke Williams who had a very clever game plan and showed up a lot of Town fans.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 08:20:02 »

Most of them on this thread.....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 08:31:39 »

I still think we got a result because Adje didn't go....
harrisonaw

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 08:43:49 »

Indeed Yes
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 08:44:09 »

Including me!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 09:04:11 »

Including me!

Myself also, although in my piss poor defence I haven't seen us play this year so was based my opinion on what my learned colleagues who had said, I am thinking of starting a crowdfunding campaign to allow me to bet on every game we are 'sure to lose' as it seems to have the desired effect.
Panda Paws

« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 09:49:00 »

If everyone is fully fit, Stewart is pushing Goddard hard for that starting slot at 10. Looks a different player. So deceptively quick, strong and technical in his cameo last night.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 09:49:35 »

I still think we got a result because Adje didn't go....

Willing to accept the credit

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 09:55:11 »

If everyone is fully fit, Stewart is pushing Goddard hard for that starting slot at 10. Looks a different player. So deceptively quick, strong and technical in his cameo last night.

Agree, that run just after he came on when he had 3 Gillingham players pressing him for about 40 yards before he drew the foul was class. He looked very handy.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 09:57:53 »

Willing to accept the credit

Credit where credit is due, sometimes we have to make sacrifices.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 10:47:02 »

From the little everyone has seen of Stewart the consensus seems to be that he should be in the team... So why isn't he? Is it a case of a a player who is considered better when he's on the bench or is there something else at play? Maybe he's shit in training and the club don't want to give him a a chance if he hasn't shown he deserves it in training?

All a bit mysterious
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2016, 10:56:23 »

From the little everyone has seen of Stewart the consensus seems to be that he should be in the team... So why isn't he? Is it a case of a a player who is considered better when he's on the bench or is there something else at play? Maybe he's shit in training and the club don't want to give him a a chance if he hasn't shown he deserves it in training?

All a bit mysterious

Think it's simply they're trying to look after him....sometimes it can take a while for a player to develop and find a role.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: