Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: QPR v Swindon Town - Official Match Day Thread  (Read 27012 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:17:08 »

That celebration between Brophy and Smith after his goal was a bit ginger wasn't it!

It was a shit and uninspiring draw (Rochdale again) even if we had got through so considering the size of the squad probably best we didn't!
harrisonaw

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:17:31 »

Where were the two fans sat? We had some moron behind us, who was shouting "get them off" about 2 players, ignoring the fact we had used all of our subs, after they had misplaced a pass each. And also not withstanding the fact they had both played well all game. Very very special.

They were sat left of the goal near the bottom. Best quote of the night was "If I see that guy with sombrero in the street, i'll av him!"
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:25:56 »

Ah the qpr fan with the rattle. Different areas all round then with the outstanding comments it seems.They are spreading like the walking dead.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:34:50 »

That celebration between Brophy and Smith after his goal was a bit ginger wasn't it!

It was a shit and uninspiring draw even if we had got through so considering the size of the squad probably best we didn't!

I still can't work out if you would always end up with the same draw as your victor...I've looked at the FA Cup in the past and it seems to be done by alphabet, sort of.

Anyway a game v the defeated 62 LC finalists would at least have been a first in the competition for us.

As I said yesterday, the game was a free hit.....so it seems we got something out of it, in terms af team spirit.

However, we didn't need the ET and pens, coupled with the now traditional Scouse loan early injury syndrome.   Perhaps Williams wants to turn Anton into a CH, hence why he gave him the number 5 shirt.  Not so much the new Javier Mascherano, more the new Alan McCormack.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:42:27 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
harrisonaw

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:39:37 »

Ah the qpr fan with the rattle. Different areas all round then with the outstanding comments it seems.They are spreading like the walking dead.

I did think he was pretty funny though. Good banter. "Eeeeyyyyy rattle rattle rattle"  Cheesy
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:41:44 »

He sort of played a Hoddle sweeper role, and did pretty well, we were expecting it to be QPR shooting practice for the last 30, but bar the one time they really got a man over and scored, it never materialised.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:52:59 »

We held out extraordinarily well considering we had one recognised defender on the pitch in ET. A bit last ditch at times but we survived until penalties.

Thomas looked poor last night, disappointing following his performance on Sat. Impressed with Hylton who looks nothing like a footballer and Stewart was impressive and tireless when he replaced him.

Iandolo continues to look a decent prospect, Tom Smith less so.

Definite stand out player was Norris who defied the lazy tag the Pikeys gave him and showed some excellent hold up play but can play his way out of trouble as well.

Most of all I forgot how much I love away games. Especially on a weeknight.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 08:57:46 »

We held out extraordinarily well considering we had one recognised defender on the pitch in ET. A bit last ditch at times but we survived until penalties.

Thomas looked poor last night, disappointing following his performance on Sat. Impressed with Hylton who looks nothing like a footballer and Stewart was impressive and tireless when he replaced him.

Iandolo continues to look a decent prospect, Tom Smith less so.

Definite stand out player was Norris who defied the lazy tag the Pikeys gave him and showed some excellent hold up play but can play his way out of trouble as well.

Most of all I forgot how much I love away games. Especially on a weeknight.

Funny how things are seen, I thought Tom Smith did well, reminded me of that horrible Perkins. Iandolo I didn't think got into the game! But to agree on one Hylton had a good game, best I've seen from him.
Panda Paws

« Reply #188 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 09:11:29 »

Echo what a lot of others have said, all round it was an excellent performance. The biggest difference is off the ball. The pressing, while not always perfect, is eager and consistent and with some work, will really bear fruit. Noticed it on Saturday in the second half too - we win the ball back, either directly or through throw-ins, high up the pitch and play in the middle third rather than the bollocks we had last year of winning it (if we were lucky) at CB and pissing around with it for a week.

Norris was outstanding. A little wasteful with a couple of very good chances early on but other that, really was a good number 9 performance.

Funny how it goes, but personally see nothing in Hylton. Must be close to 4th choice now, behind Young... Just doesn't effect games at all.

Kasim was absolutely imperious. Yes, people will say he fancies it again, wants a move etc but actually, the last 6 games of last year and the first 2 of this are the first period of games he's been fully fit for for a long time. Still, won't stop some having a whinge.

Jones look good if a little dodgy on the turn, a trait that mirrors JSW on the other side. Good job we've got NT behind them both.

Also, whisper it, Rodgers was good tonight. And final shout out for mr consistency Brad Barry. Listen to the haters - cheap option, only here cos we know his agent or some bollocks - or just watch him play. There's a reason he won players player and managers player last year, and he really has developed into a very good RWB. Just lacks that pace over the first two yards sometimes.

All in all, we have a collection of young players who look very very promising, and most of them are ours to develop. Said last year about 2 or 3 year cycles and last season being year 1. Brophy, Iandolo, Stewart all coming on leaps and bounds.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 09:42:09 by Panda Paws » Logged
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 09:21:14 »

Was a pity the 2 penalty misses were Rodgers and Barry, as that will give the morons another reason in their tiny minds to heckle i'm sure. The save from Rodgers one was immense though.
Panda Paws

« Reply #190 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 09:22:35 »

Was a pity the 2 penalty misses were Rodgers and Barry, as that will give the morons another reason in their tiny minds to heckle i'm sure. The save from Rodgers one was immense though.

Yep, Barry's pen was poor but Rodgers' was just a bloody good save. Vigs was unlucky with their first 3 too, went the right way each time but quality showed.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 09:24:18 »

I just hope they bring this sort of fight and commitment to more important games.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 11:25:42 »

Something else I'd noticed in the last couple of matches is that despite having one up front they haven't looked isolated at all - plenty of support from Goddard on Saturday and then Hylton/Stewart last night. I wonder if we'll see Obika and Norris alongside one another or if one will be deeper?
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 11:27:49 »

I wonder if we'll see a bit more of Stewart now, too!

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Panda Paws

« Reply #194 on: Thursday, August 11, 2016, 11:46:32 »

Something else I'd noticed in the last couple of matches is that despite having one up front they haven't looked isolated at all - plenty of support from Goddard on Saturday and then Hylton/Stewart last night. I wonder if we'll see Obika and Norris alongside one another or if one will be deeper?

Interesting watching Norris's all-action display and wondering how on earth he'd play with Obika.

Personally think it'll be one or the other unless we're chasing the game. Goddard, Stewart, Young or whoever else is playing in the 10 have all looked to get up and even beyond in the two games so far. Also, the way we rotate the ball in the midfield often results in one of Kasim or, more effectively, Doughty (Thomas last night) pushing right on too.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
Print
Jump to: