Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town vs Coventry City - Official Match Day Thread  (Read 32891 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 10:43:59 »

Seems a little unfair to compare the CG with Glanford Park which is only about 30 years old?
Edit - especially as if the photographs are correct they seem to suggest the guy was in the Arkells and not on the bank.

Tatty old central ground with character and pubs? Or no soul bowl on the edge of town with not much else near?
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 11:18:03 »

The CG is a relic but it's our relic.

I think we've all pretty much given up on significant future redevelopments.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 11:55:51 »

I'd rather stay a slightly tatty county ground than spunked all our money on all bowl we then get kicked out of so we have to watch matches from a hill.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #198 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 13:07:18 »

That was indeed mildly humerous in the way its written but it is also extremely bitter and that makes me happy, we haven't had many bitter away fans since the Shrewsbury fans started hating us when PdC was manager.

On their forum they whinge about having a young team with inexperience, well, welcome to League 1.

The average age of their staring 11 was 22.9 and their bench averaged 23.4.

Our team averaged 23 and our bench averaged 19.

Just saw this on their forum (yes I know...most people don't care what they think about us etc etc) but this is a fairly prevalent view it seems.

I so hope statement comes back to bite him hard on his arse later in the season.
Quote from: BitterCoventryFan
Nick keep the Swindon fans opinion for later on as it will give us a lot of pleasure to shove it back in their faces. Believe me Swindon are so shit they will get relegated.we on the other hand will make 2/3 signings that will move us on

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 13:37:45 »

I'd be pretty pissed off if I was a Cov fan. And he's not exactly a million miles off, we are hardly brilliant. Their fans were decent when I was chatting to them on the way back to the car, mostly agreed that both teams were pretty crap.

Although it's quite funny he mentions the signings... as we HAVE actually made 2 signings that could (potentially at least) be good for us. So we're already better... maybe...
Flashheart

« Reply #200 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 13:40:08 »

That quote is typical of the shortsightedness of many football fans. If they can improve with signings, then why can't we?

We get exactly the same thing with Swindon fans only in reverse. I.E., other clubs can get better, but we can't.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #201 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 13:47:54 »

That quote is typical of the shortsightedness of many football fans. If they can improve with signings, then why can't we?

We get exactly the same thing with Swindon fans only in reverse. I.E., other clubs can get better, but we can't.
Indeed, although I personally don't think I have ever heard any Town fan say, after a first day defeat, that the opponents will definately get relegated at the end of the season, that is a pretty strong statement.

Although Tommy Docherty did say after we beat a Preston team managed by him 4-0 in 1981-82 seasons 3rd match, that Swindon would be relegated (we were sitting 2nd after those 3 games) and he was right.

suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 14:07:37 »

Indeed, although I personally don't think I have ever heard any Town fan say, after a first day defeat, that the opponents will definately get relegated at the end of the season, that is a pretty strong statement.

Although Tommy Docherty did say after we beat a Preston team managed by him 4-0 in 1981-82 seasons 3rd match, that Swindon would be relegated (we were sitting 2nd after those 3 games) and he was right.

To be fair though Stevie wonder could have predicted that team going down.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 14:07:52 »

I remember Steve Abbley tore them a new one that game....I thought hello... this lad could be good, he wasn't.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #204 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 14:18:34 »

I remember Steve Abbley tore them a new one that game....I thought hello... this lad could be good, he wasn't.
Abbley was a cracking winger for the reserves, scored loads and set up even goals, but just never made the step up, tall and gangly and almost ungainly IIRC.

Flashheart

« Reply #205 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 16:23:09 »

Lloyd Jones ‏@lloydjones51  4m4 minutes ago
Good couples days training.. QPR tomorrow ⚽️🔴

Awww. I think it's good that the club lay on a couples day for the players.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 19:18:18 »

Smiley I love shit like that.  Always had a bit of time for Coventry, as I liked the way they were remorselessly mediocre for year after year in the top flight, using players who you'd never hear of before or since.  Very occasionally they might have someone decent but rapidly sold.

Then, of course, they won in FA Cup, in what was just about the last throw of post war proper old skool football. Keith Houchen...what a goal, mainly ex Hartlepool and York City journeyman, classic Coventry. In true fashion they then go to Sutton to defend the trophy next season....

Wimbledon we're the cup holders when Cov lost to Sutton.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 19:21:46 »

Wimbledon we're the cup holders when Cov lost to Sutton.

Oh well...season after then.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 20:30:11 »

Oh well...season after then.

Aye, 1989. Was living near Sutton at the time, great fun.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday, August 9, 2016, 22:23:45 »

Was I? You've never mentioned that, where did you live?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: