Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Car Question - Brake Fluid  (Read 3325 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 19:11:55 »

A question for anyone who's good with cars.

My VW Passat last had its brake fluid changed 4 years (& 30,000 miles) ago, so it's probably due to have it replaced again.  But this time last year, we had some work done that involved getting the rear left brake motor and caliper replaced.  Does it follow that the brake fluid would also have been replaced as part of that job?

I just want to go to the dealer tomorrow looking as if I know what I'm talking about.  Many thanks in advance.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 19:13:58 »

My car failed the mot on ear brake caliper, I never got charged for brake fluid so I would guess not!
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 19:23:05 »

If you have your brake pads or discs changed, you do not need your brake fluid changing. A dealer would only change it if you requested it. If they changed it, it would be chargeable and on your invoice.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 19:30:12 »

Thanks chaps.  Appreciate it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 19:32:53 »

I think you'll have lost a bit fluid during the change that will simply be topped up.

So if its in the service schedule and needs doing then I guess you'll be paying again.

Wonder when/if mine was last done, its 138K in now..
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 20:11:07 »

If they changed the caliper they probably should've drained the system and replaced the fluid.

In reality they probably just clamped the pipe (risking damage to it) and then topped it up as Batch said.

Wonder when/if mine was last done, its 138K in now..

Eek

You might want to get that looked at ASAP. Brake failure would be... interesting.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 20:14:37 »

I've just checked my invoices.  The rear right went this time two years ago, and the rear left went this time last year.  The invoice from 2 years ago says 'Replaced O/S/R caliper bleed brake system carried out basic setting testing OK'.  So I guess that means that it was changed 2 years ago...and probably last year as well.  That's my reading anyway.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 21:04:00 »

Hmm. Bleeding is letting out air bubbles, not changing. Ring and ask them to be sure, but I'd suspect it hasnt been as it would have shown up as parts used.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 21:41:45 »

Check the service schedule in your handbook but it's usually a service item every 2 years.

Brake fluid looks manky when it needs changing as it degrades over time. If you're not sure get it changed, it isn't a big job.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 3, 2016, 22:18:33 »

Better to get it changed. Not expensive.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, August 4, 2016, 09:29:21 »

Hmm. Bleeding is letting out air bubbles, not changing. Ring and ask them to be sure, but I'd suspect it hasnt been as it would have shown up as parts used.

Good point.  I checked with two people, and had two different answers...so have followed your advice and got it done.  And 4D's advice!  (It is his forum, after all.)

Thanks again.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, August 4, 2016, 10:30:00 »

Always happy to help  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: