Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Season...  (Read 31053 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 08:31:32 »

There probably wont be much activity if the two training pitches are done? As that was the first bit, then more detailed plans were to be submitted for the rest as I remember it. And that will take a while whilst some pen pusher in planning stops scratching his arse..

From what I recall the onlt things they have permission for is the creation of two training pitches, I assume that changing etc will be within whatever existing clubhouse building is on site so not sure what physical work is expected?

Interesting that a sink hole has been raised, I had heard that it was an alien landing site that had been discovered on the 9th tee and the reason that nothing had happened was that MI6 are all over the site doing testing - sadly I cannot remember who I heard that from.......  
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 08:32:22 »

I have blind optimism before every season. No idea why, I think I just get a bit excited that the football season is back. I'll go to as many games as I can regardless of who's in charge / what happens over the summer. I've never understood people who say "Until xxx happens I'm not going". Just doesn't make sense to me.
Happy Clapper alert!!!

Only joking.

I'm pretty much the same, except for blind pessimism rather than blind optimism. I can understand there may well be a lack of optimism for the coming season as things stand, and LP and the club in general does little to actively stimulate enthusiasm (or false hope), but I don't see that as a reason to not renew a season ticket, or to give up on attending all together.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 08:34:44 »

I have blind optimism before every season. No idea why, I think I just get a bit excited that the football season is back. I'll go to as many games as I can regardless of who's in charge / what happens over the summer. I've never understood people who say "Until xxx happens I'm not going". Just doesn't make sense to me.

I am likewise, the only thing I do recall is that if we have a fantastic pre-season we normally have a shit season, so I will continue to grasp at that straw. Then again whats it got to do with me, I am not a real fan.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 08:37:41 »

From what I recall the onlt things they have permission for is the creation of two training pitches, I assume that changing etc will be within whatever existing clubhouse building is on site so not sure what physical work is expected?

Interesting that a sink hole has been raised, I had heard that it was an alien landing site that had been discovered on the 9th tee and the reason that nothing had happened was that MI6 are all over the site doing testing - sadly I cannot remember who I heard that from....... 

Pfft sinkhole. It's a new budget hydrotherapy pool, don't you know. #thatswherethemoneywent
Chrystovski

« Reply #64 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 08:40:40 »

I'm not Power's biggest fan, he's not very personable and comes across as extremely arrogant and his past history means I'll never fully trust him but as far as what's happening on the pitch.

13\14: Budget £1.9M 8th
Entertaining football on show and in my opinion was more pleasing on the eye at times than 14\15 season, some very good signings (Pritchard, Ranger, Luongo)

14\15: Budget £1.9M 4th
Superb first half of the season, but our lack of spine, fight & ability to defend cost us in the last half of the season. Playoff final was clearly a step too far but overall I'd say we were punching above our weight. Highest league position in 15 years.

15/16: Budget £1.5M 16th
Squad dismantled and rebuilt, majority of new signings not up to scratch, football on show has declined overall, league quality also declined, limp over the finish line in 16th place, rebuild job needed again.

So overall I would say Power has had 2 out of 3 good seasons, but I am concerned as to how we currently line up this season as I'm sure we all are.

Was the decline last season a one off? Related to the drop in budget? Related to Sherwood no longer having a job at Spurs? No one really knows the answer but I would like us to be more prepared going into the first game as we were in the 14\15 season. I do think a good pre-season & momentum play a big part in how the first couple of months play out.

With the current first 11 I think we will be closer to the wrong end of the table unfortunately, but there is still a month to go for LP to recruit.

horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 08:46:49 »

I'm not Power's biggest fan, he's not very personable and comes across as extremely arrogant and his past history means I'll never fully trust him but as far as what's happening on the pitch.

Entertaining football on show and in my opinion was more pleasing on the eye at times than 14\15 season, some very good signings (Pritchard, Ranger, Luongo)

Superb first half of the season, but our lack of spine, fight & ability to defend cost us in the last half of the season. Playoff final was clearly a step too far but overall I'd say we were punching above our weight. Highest league position in 15 years.

Squad dismantled and rebuilt, majority of new signings not up to scratch, football on show has declined overall, league quality also declined, limp over the finish line in 16th place, rebuild job needed again.

So overall I would say Power has had 2 out of 3 good seasons, but I am concerned as to how we currently line up this season as I'm sure we all are.

Was the decline last season a one off? Related to the drop in budget? Related to Sherwood no longer having a job at Spurs? No one really knows the answer but I would like us to be more prepared going into the first game as we were in the 14\15 season. I do think a good pre-season & momentum play a big part in how the first couple of months play out.

With the current first 11 I think we will be closer to the wrong end of the table unfortunately, but there is still a month to go for LP to recruit.

I have no great opinion either way of Power as I don't think we have seen enough of him to really judge his character, I have never thought he came across as being arrogant to be honest as he readily admits that he has many faults and is plain shit at certain things - that doesn't strike me as being particularly arrogant, I think the media thing just boils down to an apparent suspicion against the media (possibly driven by his previous working in the trade).
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 08:57:56 »

My feelings edge toward those noted here..

Apart from the first part, I have no real opinion on Power as a person.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
normy

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:06:23 »

It would be good if we could get Turnbull back for a few months in this defensive emergency while he's sorting out his future

ust be the oldest
Chrystovski

« Reply #68 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:09:16 »

In all honesty the thing the pisses me off the most about the club is our prices.

We keep being told by LP that "We have the lowest budget in the league" but our prices don't reflect the budget on offer.

In a simple world, for the budget Power stumps up it should be reflected with the lowest prices in the league.

Now there are plenty of arguments against my point and I realise I'm contradicting myself slightly with my previous post but the prices we now pay for football are incredibly high and don't really reflect value for money in general.

This is mainly a rant against Football in general and probably should go in another thread.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:10:49 by Chrystovski » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:19:03 »

Good analysis.  I would say first season inherited some squad players like Lee Cox, that he didn't want couldn't offload....however later season, it came in useful to use them.

2nd season Willo fell in to this category....he was here, normally beyond our budget, so might as well use him. Scored 20 league goals.

3rd season, all the old PdC players cleared out off the wage bill.....squad stripped to a bare minimum, emergency loans would have to do to make up numbers....we struggle.

This season....like last, squad stripped to bare minimum....hope is that the credible first XI, can see us through the first 5 or 6 games, before comings and goings sorted by 31st.

Last season we got 11 points from the first 6....48 from the next 40. Power probably realises even if we have an 80/81 start to the season, 48 or thereabouts may see us safe.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:37:34 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:32:18 »

Saturday's game should be a cracker. Mowbray is bleating about the lack of signings and even if any come in this week he doesn't think they could play a part soon.

He's half written off the first 5 or 6 games. The fans are pointing the finger at owners SISU for being tightfisted and leaving him hamstrung.

So, unless it's a draw, there is going to be some unhappy clappers come 5pm.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:40:56 »

Saturday's game should be a cracker. Mowbray is bleating about the lack of signings and even if any come in this week he doesn't think they could play a part soon.

He's half written off the first 5 or 6 games. The fans are pointing the finger at owners SISU for being tightfisted and leaving him hamstrung.

So, unless it's a draw, there is going to be some unhappy clappers come 5pm.

They're bringing a few also, so hopefully the Bank might get a run out....Often for the first game of the season I'd go and stand on the Bank, as invariably it would be nice and sunny, although with climate change it will proably piss down on Saturday.
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:48:13 »

In all honesty the thing the pisses me off the most about the club is our prices.

As an aside, while getting a ticket from Yeovil's ticket office on Saturday I noticed their prices for normal league games and the top price is £32!

Suppose that's what happens when you have a season in the Championship. Once the prices have gone up they dont tend to ever come back down...
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:52:13 »

As an aside, while getting a ticket from Yeovil's ticket office on Saturday I noticed their prices for normal league games and the top price is £32!

Suppose that's what happens when you have a season in the Championship. Once the prices have gone up they dont tend to ever come back down...

Fuck me, imagine paying £32 to watch a game at Huish Park.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Monday, August 1, 2016, 09:55:37 »

Some teams do seem to be investing in players... http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/walsall-fc/2016/07/31/walsall-set-to-smash-club-transfer-record-with-300000-bid-for-andreas-makris/?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: