Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Season...  (Read 30488 times)
GL5 Red

« on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:34:46 »

Well with less than a week until we kick off the new season I sincerely hope the hero Lee Power has some singings lined up.  Some big fixtures this season and even the "at least we have a club to support" lemmings with struggle to defend Power if our arch rivals get the better of us.  As stated I hope the penny drops and Power uses some of the funds received otherwise with what we have relegation is a certainty.  What does concern me is thus far he seems good at brining the funds in but no so keen to invest.
Fingers crossed and here is hoping we have a decent season with some big wins against Oxford.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:37:17 »

I'd settle for losing home and away to Oxford and getting promoted like the last time..

They aint the be all and end all
GL5 Red

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:40:49 »

Promotion? With the utter dross we currently have? With what we have we are struggling and getting beat by scum home and away.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:44:04 »

We're joint top at the moment!

And we haven't got utter dross at the moment. We lack back ups and maybe 2 first picks
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:46:05 by Rory Bellend » Logged
GL5 Red

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:52:11 »

No you are right we have some really good players, maybe I set my standards too high. Barry, Branco, Rodgers cannot wait to see these three in particular.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:53:39 »

Promotion? With the utter dross we currently have? With what we have we are struggling and getting beat by scum home and away.

"Utter dross" is a bit harsh. The current first choice XI is possibly decent mid table pushing top ten material.
Quietly confident that some additional quality will still be added to the squad plus a bit more luck with injuries, then who knows.
Not convinced that the overall quality of this division will be any better than last season.
Bolton and Charlton are basket case clubs and may not find it easy in this league, although the appointment of Varys as manager by the latter might give them an advantage.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Flashheart

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:04:28 »

I reckon we'll sign 5-6 players before the window closes with 3 of those being loans. Whether or not they will be much good remains to be seen. We might end up with a decent squad, or we may not. That could take up to August 31st, as is often the case, so there's potentially another month of flapping for some.

It's way, way too soon to have any idea of how the season will go.

aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:05:43 »

There are a lot of clubs looking light on players and wanting to recruit over the next few days/weeks. If we are looking at players from Premier League clubs, and over the last few seasons we have, we need to wait for them to return from pre-season tours abroad and until their agents have give up trying to get them to a Championship club. Looking around, Charlton, Franchise, Coventry and Gillingham all need to get numbers in, so we are not alone.

But it is of course easier to have a meltdown and proclaim that Lee Power is the devil.

Power will want us to be pushing for the play-offs so expect him to sign 4-5 players that give us the opportunity of doing so.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:07:09 »

No you are right we have some really good players, maybe I set my standards too high. Barry, Branco, Rodgers cannot wait to see these three in particular.

Barry will have a good season, but that doesn't matter as he was free and only bought in due nepotism...
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:12:06 »

Barry will have a good season, but that doesn't matter as he was free and only bought in due nepotism...

I thought Barry was good last season too for a lad in his first season. Numerous assists. I agree with you that he will kick on again this year. Then we will complain when Power sells him for a fee. ;-)
GL5 Red

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:18:28 »

It's concerning the numbers that say they have advised enough.  I will go whatever as I support Swindon and through thick and thin. I hope we get some quality in this week I really do, a week from now and a win over Coventry we could be optimistic.
As for Barry, I don't rate him. Gets caught too many times, any as well as being weak cannot defend.  I hope I am proved wrong and he has a good season.
Fingers crossed as usual and let's see what the next week brings.
#STWD

Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:19:25 »

With Jordan Stewart finally making some appearances in pre-season and Tom Smith recovered from injury that's almost like two new players right there.

The lack of signings so far has disappointed, no doubt, but i'm not panicking just yet.
I would really like to see a striker come in this week though.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:19:36 »

I thought Barry was good last season too for a lad in his first season. Numerous assists. I agree with you that he will kick on again this year. Then we will complain when Power sells him for a fee. ;-)

One would hope that he'll improve, but it doesn't always work out that way, sometimes players just get to a certain level and that's it, maybe enough to give you a career as a lower league journeyman, and nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes though players suffer 2nd season syndrome....opposition have seen them, now figure them out for strength and weaknesses. They then go back for a while, the good ones respond and push on.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:28:35 »

How has Jordan Stewart performed, out of interest?

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 14:31:58 »

My personal opinion is that Stewart's not going to make the grade. Based on what I've seen of him.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: