Poll
Question: How do you feel about the Adver "ban"?
I disagree - Power is being a megalomaniac - 34 (35.1%)
I agree - The Adver is shit - 8 (8.2%)
I don't give a fuck as long as the team does well - 32 (33%)
I'm Sam Morshead - 14 (14.4%)
There isn't a fucking ban - 9 (9.3%)
Total Voters: 90

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Adver "ban"  (Read 19478 times)
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 18:36:59 »

Don't get too excited ... he's only there to do the ironing.
I see Andrew Steele-Davis is the new press officer, clever move by the club in my opinion as comes with some credibility having been a reporter on Town for other media outlets so would suggest Power isn't quite as bad with the press as some have out.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 21:36:47 »

Power isn't quite as bad with the press as some have out.

Yeah, appointing ASD (good luck to him) makes him/the club less fucking abysmal at PR.

Oh wait, nothing has happened yet.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 21:53:20 »

Why is the club bad at PR though? Yeah, the whole fanzai thing was a bit nauseating (dare I say ominous) but it was shit and didn't work so it's been abandoned.. What's wrong with that? In general I don't feel anything is being held back. What is it everyone is dying to know that Power's keeping from us just because he's told the Adver to do one ?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, August 27, 2016, 22:23:15 »

total lack of promotion of the club in most forms would be my answer. particularly over the summer until literally the day before the new season.

the adver thing is only a small part of that
Panda Paws

« Reply #49 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 16:14:55 »

So that's advertising and pr. Not press/media.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 16:44:07 »

So that's advertising and pr. Not press/media.

Yes, that's why I mentioned PR in my post. Right reply, but not the right thread
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 16:49:33 »

Why is the club bad at PR though? Yeah, the whole fanzai thing was a bit nauseating (dare I say ominous) but it was shit and didn't work so it's been abandoned.. What's wrong with that? In general I don't feel anything is being held back. What is it everyone is dying to know that Power's keeping from us just because he's told the Adver to do one ?

Don't think it's a case of being bad at PR, I think it's just that they are not good at communicating with the fans except for the odd piece from BBC Wilts or a fans phone in once every couple of months.  Power is not hiding anything, I think that's clear, but a little more transparency on progress off the field wouldn't be a bad thing, even if it to say that there are no further developments, the players are back in training, here are some pre-season photos, do you recognize any trialists?  Just something to keep interest moving with a little bit of engagement.

We went from reports at the end of last season that we were going to get our work done early and that 2 were as good as done, we then sign Goddard but hear nothing else until we start to sign some players in the weeks leading up to the first game.  Yes we all knew we were going to sign some players but a little bit more in between wouldn't do any harm.

Those that think that the fans engagement from the club is no different now to when they used to talk to other media outlets outside of BBC Wilts have got a different memory to me.  The off season used to be boring to me back in the day but at least there was something, now I have zero interest in checking up on Swindon town in the off season apart from organising the Player Sponsorship.  That can't be good for our prospects of keeping a future fan base interested in STFC and not losing them to the plastic prem teams, or seeking additional income during those quiet months.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 16:51:40 by Berniman » Logged

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 17:18:40 »

It's down to the Internet generation wanting to know the inside and outside of everything. I used to get by with the odd transfer snippet in the sunday papers, telextext, or if feeling flush 50p on a call to teamtalk. In other words you'd hear fuck all for the summer months from the club until it happened, or was very near to via the aforementioned outlets.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 17:21:24 »

that was then,  this is now. the internet is a tool to use to help market yourself.

something changed after our defeat at Wembley to Preston (IMO)
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #54 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 19:41:23 »

Yeah, appointing ASD (good luck to him) makes him/the club less fucking abysmal at PR.

Oh wait, nothing has happened yet.
Out of interest what is it you want to hear Batch
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 20:54:16 »

on the grander scale some sort of indication of 'the long term plan' for the club.

on a more immediate side some sort of greater engagement between the club and the fans. in short anything to create more of a buzz around the place.

better transparency. things like the new training ground should be a good thing. not something of suspicion.

what we get is a half arsed phone in where power gets tetchy over any difficult questions.
 just like to feel the club is making an effort to go somewhere, and involve the fans on the journey.

guess we are stuck with it being what it is. getting used to it now.

it's all about perception of course. we've had this before and still ended up no better off. just think the (perceived) openness of the fitton period was vastly more enjoyable than the closed shop we have now.
--
anyway, the original point was that appointing ASD doesn't somehow make Power done sort of PR genius as claimed.
johnritsons toupe

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, August 28, 2016, 23:13:56 »

on the grander scale some sort of indication of 'the long term plan' for the club.

on a more immediate side some sort of greater engagement between the club and the fans. in short anything to create more of a buzz around the place.

better transparency. things like the new training ground should be a good thing. not something of suspicion.

what we get is a half arsed phone in where power gets tetchy over any difficult questions.
 just like to feel the club is making an effort to go somewhere, and involve the fans on the journey.

guess we are stuck with it being what it is. getting used to it now.

it's all about perception of course. we've had this before and still ended up no better off. just think the (perceived) openness of the fitton period was vastly more enjoyable than the closed shop we have now.
--
anyway, the original point was that appointing ASD doesn't somehow make Power done sort of PR genius as claimed.

I agree with the Batch. For example there would be a great buzz about the place at the moment if Power and his directors used the Advertiser and the other rags to promote good news stories such as the good start we've had. Follow up stories all week after the wet weather abadnonment on saturday would be easy)) Manager comments. Groundsman on how hard he works to keep the surface so well but unable to do anything about the volume of rain etc.

You dont have to be a public relations genius to know how it all works. Power doesnt strike me as an idiot but hes kicking himself in the nuts by not engaging with the local media, specially the Advertizer. Its definately cost him money in lost season ticket holders and casual pay on the day fans.

Ultimately history will show his record as whatever he achieves, but in addittion to on field stuff most supporters will remember him for as a touchy so and so who always seemed to have something to conceal, whether thats correct untrue unfounded or not.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #57 on: Monday, August 29, 2016, 08:39:46 »

Nice to see Advertiser journo's engaging on here now, would a pitch forking exclusive really make things so much better.

I note all the comments that Power is some manner of PR recluse but to remind me how many chairman have we had who hold regular phone ins where fans can directly ask questions, how common is this across other clubs?

Not saying our PR is great, but not convinced that a stream of purile stories just filling column space would achieve all its cracked up to do with the apathy of much of our fan base we could be 10 points clear at the top and I am not convinced there would be a buzz, equally nothing stopping the Advertiser finding their own stories to print.

Ultimately suits them down to the ground as they can use the excuse of the club not drip feeding them stories to not spend time and money paying journalists to cover us when they don't want to (remember before all this started their commitment went as far as being unable to identify our own players in match reports).

As for touchy with something to hide I assume this discounts the Diamandis era and the fact that compared to any number of other league chairman he is a friendly open book?
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, September 23, 2016, 20:42:42 »

And we think we've got it bad

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2016/news/football-club-bans-daily-after-front-page-plea-for-owners-to-sell-up/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, September 23, 2016, 22:54:36 »

I know it's not the point but I can't help thinking one relegation in 9 disastrous years is actually pretty decent.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: