Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Town v Swans  (Read 24211 times)
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 22:56:47 »

Who the fuck is branch I ask myself. I meant the imperious branco!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 23:59:39 »

Who the fuck is branch I ask myself.

You might be thinking of Graham Branch. Tranny, Stockport, Burnley, Accy Stanley, legend.  Or perhaps not.

I don't think many Town fans expect much....just little things really, like this time last season we had our 3 loans in place having signed Anton...this year we haven't. Maybe Celtic don't have the quality. The Spurs link has gone, and Soton are in another period of turmoil.

Power obviously hopes that the "Swindon way" will entice other clubs to send their kids here, but what if the Leicester thing and Portugal winning the Euro has pushed the zeitgeist away from flick fanny football to something more industrial? Right now if I was a DoF, I'd be looking for defenders who can defend.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 07:26:06 »

We certainly need a couple of central defenders in. One as competition for Branco/SWhite, the other for Thompson. I have no idea who would play sweeper if thompson breaks down and when you are building the team around playing that way you need to have a back up.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #123 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 07:59:48 »

Jason Pearce has been released by Wigan. not sure what offers he's got but would probably be a good fit.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 08:03:24 »

I imagine his wages are too high
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 11:19:18 »

See that Nathan is having his tuppence worth on the state of play....backing up Willams, about the waffer thin squad. 

Especially now Branco has gone, even more relevant.

No idea what the Glovers pre-season has been like, but they nearly went back to their non league roots last season...so you'd think they might have done something to avoid a repeat, in terms of recruitment etc.  Venkman?

We could do with a solid performance tomorrow....otherwise we'll go into the Coventry game, with the very real prospect of their first league win at the CG since 1960.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 11:38:59 »

The issue as I see it is that we have a decent 12/13 players but after that we are getting thin, we need strength in depth, competition for places, and as there is to be no transfer window we need a bigger squad to last season to cover for injuries and loss of form, the concern is that we have not got more players by now with the new season a week away.

I'm sure the squad will be peppered with 2 or 3 loans again and a lot of teams don't let out fringe players until after their first game or 2 so they know their own squad, and yes we know Power bring players in late - but wasn't it him that said we have to learn from the mistakes of last season where they left it late to build the squad ? - but we need a few more of our own players not just loans.

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 15:50:32 »

I imagine his wages are too high

Not at the moment, I guess.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 16:02:13 »

The issue as I see it is that we have a decent 12/13 players but after that we are getting thin, we need strength in depth, competition for places, and as there is to be no transfer window we need a bigger squad to last season to cover for injuries and loss of form, the concern is that we have not got more players by now with the new season a week away.

I'm sure the squad will be peppered with 2 or 3 loans again and a lot of teams don't let out fringe players until after their first game or 2 so they know their own squad, and yes we know Power bring players in late - but wasn't it him that said we have to learn from the mistakes of last season where they left it late to build the squad ? - but we need a few more of our own players not just loans.

That's just about spot on. Power even said he wanted more of our 'owned' players. But as it get's further into the window it seems he is just hanging on for loans.

Another problem is Obika. Looks like we are going with 1 up front so what club is going to loan us a young striker who will only play if
Obika gets injured - the same goes for actually buying a decent Ajose replacement.

Of course, he may pull out something but it is so quiet I fear the worst.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 09:56:12 »

Has anyone heard what the budget is this year? The lower transfer income vs last year and lack of info about ST renewals may indicate another reduction. Are we going to have to adjust our expectations accordingly? Again?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 10:29:57 »

Has anyone heard what the budget is this year? The lower transfer income vs last year and lack of info about ST renewals may indicate another reduction. Are we going to have to adjust our expectations accordingly? Again?

Depends what your expectations are...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 10:34:37 »

Depends what your expectations are...

Just saying. Quite likely less than last year though...

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 10:37:22 »

Just saying. Quite likely less than last year though...

I'm sure even the happiest of happy clappers, must be having a bit of doubt atm about how things are shaping up.  The gloom could be lifted though with a 4 or 5 credible signings asap.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 11:04:08 »

I sincerely hope that there is a special place in hell for people who use the phrase "happy clappers"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 12:02:48 »

Quote from: Red Frog

Budget reduction seems a reasonable deduction to me. It would explain the lack of permanent replacements.

my expectation (or hope) these days is just to finish above the relegation zone. anything more is a bonus. I hope I don't have to adjust further.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: