Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Town v Swans  (Read 23873 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #105 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 10:22:12 »

In many ways playing these kind of pre-season friendlies is now counterproductive.  Traditionally your friendly against a name, would be a chance to see the new boys, see how they looked fitting in with old boys, and hopefully see something to raise fan hopes a bit for the coming season.

Now we just see an incomplete squad, getting taken apart by the name's B team. Swansea by no means the worst culprit probably have 30+ players who'd walk into our side.

It doesn't do us any good whatsoever...far better playing a few low key games against clubs of a more similar size.

Even if the panic button has yet to be pressed, you can hear the alarm bells tuning up and we haven't kicked a ball in anger yet....

Agreed. Most sensible way forward is to bring the transfer deadline to the eve of the season, but that still wouldn't help said issues massively.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 10:24:18 »

Except most coaches now will pick a mixture of teams to fit different parts of the game you want to work on. One lower level game for confidence and to practice attacking phases but knowing it won't help your defence, 'keeper or shape. Then play higher level to work on playing without the ball, structure and shape. Then some of your own level for the contest - a mixture of attack & defence but with credible transitions.

Using pre-season for the fans could leave you under-prepared and either overly optimistic or unsure about how to transition.

All well and good, but historically this is a showcase sort of game, whereby the fans are supposed to get a look at the coming season.  If we now have to accept we won't have a squad in place until 31st of August, then not much point...the damage done to fan morale is considerable. As things stand just over a week away from KO, we don't look to have addressed any of last season's lessons.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:10:41 »

Even if the panic button has yet to be pressed, you can hear the alarm bells tuning up and we haven't kicked a ball in anger yet....
Can you tune up an alarm bell? And today's winner for most mixed metaphors in a single line is ....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:28:44 »

Can you tune up an alarm bell?

Probably not, but you can do a routine check to make sure it's in good working order for when needed....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:39:59 »

Second goal looked really bad.

Thought the second goal was a good flick,  but not going to come off very often.

The nature of the third goal was more worrying to me, it was a cracking pass with good pace and a cool finish. But a) we should be doing better wit two defender sleeping a bit and b) it was something they were threatening to do from the moment Branco went off injured - i.e. they had acres of space down the flanks.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 12:35:58 »

Almost 30 years to the day we eased past Swansea in a friendly at The Vetch, a chance to admire new signing Duncan Shearer and co. A real sense of a team being assembled with thought and determination to build and succeed for the season ahead. As for last night.........hmm.........
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #111 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 12:57:53 »

Almost 30 years to the day we eased past Swansea in a friendly at The Vetch, a chance to admire new signing Duncan Shearer and co. A real sense of a team being assembled with thought and determination to build and succeed for the season ahead. As for last night.........hmm.........
I was at that one. Absolutely hammered it down and we won something like 5-1. How times change.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 14:20:32 »

Chris Coleman lined up for the Jacks...it often rained at the Vetch

From memory, Deadly Dunc scored loads in  pre season, then struggled a bit once the campaign got underway, something like 3 goals before Christmas.

I got my first sight of him at The Hawthorns....we lost 3-1 he was terrible, Baggies inspired by Carlton Palmer, the sort of performance that probably inspired Patrick Viera and Yaya Toure.

Normally at the start of the season players look fit and healthy, sporting tans etc. Dunc looked pallid obviously due to his Sweatieness, but I thought he might have been ill.

Lou liked to play friendlies against teams he thought we might beat...
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 14:26:15 »

Thought the second goal was a good flick,  but not going to come off very often.

The nature of the third goal was more worrying to me, it was a cracking pass with good pace and a cool finish. But a) we should be doing better wit two defender sleeping a bit and b) it was something they were threatening to do from the moment Branco went off injured - i.e. they had acres of space down the flanks.

I actually thought that was the goal of the night, an absolute pin point pass with a great run and finish.  Ultimately if we had our back 3 in place we would of dealt with it as Nath would of been in behind covering but a back 4 we looked very limited and suspect of long balls in behind.  Ultimately we missed Branco because we had to change our shape.  Think we need 4-5 players signed to have a reasonable season.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 14:59:14 »

Definitely some promising signs going forward but the backline still as worrying as ever. I can't believe Power doesn't think a really decent centre half (or two) isn't a worthwhile investment. It could make a HUGE difference.

Not sure you can entirely blame the back line, they aren't very good but they seem to be getting zero protection from midfield, on at least the first Ayew just seemed to be stood on his own in a space in front of our back line which is where I would expect a covering midfielder to be patrolling, equally for the third the midfield seemed to be missing in action?
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 16:48:14 »

I never put much store on pre-season friendlies but last night worried me more than usual. Yes Swansea played "reserve" teamers in the main and they are at a Premiership side for a reason, but apart from the odd flash of skill and a couple of good individual performances we were second best all over the place and the gulf should not be that obvious.

As said elsewhere on here there is a definite need for some additions to the squad, preferably a couple of "older" heads to bring out the best of the younger players but I am not holding my breath.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 20:40:30 »

I never put much store on pre-season friendlies but last night worried me more than usual. Yes Swansea played "reserve" teamers in the main and they are at a Premiership side for a reason, but apart from the odd flash of skill and a couple of good individual performances we were second best all over the place and the gulf should not be that obvious.

As said elsewhere on here there is a definite need for some additions to the squad, preferably a couple of "older" heads to bring out the best of the younger players but I am not holding my breath.

Good job!

Purple Ticker!

We will get a load in on loan I'm sure.

Clems Army!
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 21:48:01 »

All well and good, but historically this is a showcase sort of game, whereby the fans are supposed to get a look at the coming season.  If we now have to accept we won't have a squad in place until 31st of August, then not much point...the damage done to fan morale is considerable. As things stand just over a week away from KO, we don't look to have addressed any of last season's lessons.

Me too.  It would take the patience of a hundred saints to think 'ah well, there's a month left, all will be fine'.  I just don't get why the model has changed so much, why there's an almost provocative refusal to learn - whether patterns of play, or types of players required.  The same mistakes are made again, and again, and again.  We have a nucleus of players (Thompson, Kasim, Goddard, Obika - OK then a start) who are good enough to take us upwards, if supplemented by 5-6 others of similar quality.  Otherwise, I shudder to think - yes it's July, yes other clubs may be in similar boats - but as a paying fan I found last night pretty desperate fare.

I'd love to be optimistic, but other than Nathan, who remains an almost embarrassingly stand out player, and Tom Smith, who shows some promise, it was tough to see where cheeriness is coming from.

Then I remembered that I spent three years sometimes cheering on the Swans from the North Bank at the Vetch, and felt much better.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 22:08:43 »

Sorry, I didn't think I needed to spell it out letter by letter. My opinion, the validity of which is entirely for you to judge, is that end-July is at least a month too early to start making confident predictions of our impending demise in the coming season, on the basis of a very incomplete and imbalanced squad, before we've finished signing players and before any loans have come in.

Yes

Quite surprised by how many people a) pay any significant attention to friendlies and b) didn't expect this given how long Power's been here.

A few of my Swampea friends went down and were actually very impressed with us, I think the most critical remark was that our goalkeeper can't kick!

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Thursday, July 28, 2016, 22:54:58 »

I don't get the general depression amongst our fan base including on here. We matched Swansea for large chunks of the game, the difference being their clinical finishing which is hardly surprising. I thought all bar Rogers had good games and Thompson and Kasim were outstanding. We could have scored two goals and our general play was excellent. We missed branch when he went off which changed the game. We will be fine for Coventry. Just need a centre back and forward which I am sure will be here before that game and please Williams play anyone in front of Rogers as when he went off our tempo improved significantly. Anyway stop bloody moaning get down the county ground and enjoy the fayre on offer - it's much better than some of the dross served up over the past 15 years and apparently being done without bankrupting the club. Rant over.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: