Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Travel insurance for terminally ill person  (Read 2849 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 12:52:12 »

Might be a long shot, but just wondering if anyone has had experience with / recommendations for sorting out travel insurance for someone with terminal illness.

The planned trip is a two week Med cruise for family member with cancer.

We've had a quote for £2,600 from one company, but may just decide to wing it and take a chance.

I'd say that the odds of them keeling over or being hospitalized during the two weeks were fairly low given current stage of the disease.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 13:01:06 »

Might be a long shot, but just wondering if anyone has had experience with / recommendations for sorting out travel insurance for someone with terminal illness.

The planned trip is a two week Med cruise for family member with cancer.

We've had a quote for £2,600 from one company, but may just decide to wing it and take a chance.

I'd say that the odds of them keeling over or being hospitalized during the two weeks were fairly low given current stage of the disease.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in.

Unfortunately, as you've found out, travel insurance for someone who is terminally ill is costly.

I understand the desire to 'wing it', but in the unlikely event that the person was to take a turn for the worst, this could incur medical bills which could far outweigh the cost of the insurance itself. Not much of a help I know, but just thought I'd put that thought process in the mix.... if it wasn't already, of course.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 13:02:06 »

Not able to help I am afraid but we had to cancel mine and my wifes trip to France this month partly due to the cost of insurance, you may or may not be aware but I am currently recieving treatment for cancer of the esophagus, and mine is not terminal by any means but the cost for covering one week was £1,200 which is double the cost of the full week break.

They state it is down not just to hospitization but also (heaven forbid) if I died while over there the cost of getting my body home again after etc.

I personally wouldn't risk going without insurance but if you are willing to foot any possible bill that may occur then I guess its down to you Bob.

Sorry I can't help more but this must be a fairly common problem.

Try this link.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/travel-insurance/cancer/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 13:32:26 »

Thanks Darlo & PV.

I'd agree that's it's too risky to travel without insurance in this case.
Will check out alternative quotes, but sharing the cost between the family will probably be the way forward.

PV. It's the same type of cancer in our case.
Upper esophagus, but the person is 85 plus.
One course of radio plus a stent fitted so far.
Looks like a second one will need to go in with one more course of radio a possibility.
All food has to be liquidized, weight loss, horrible mucus cough etc.

I'm sure it's not the case, but there is the suspicion that the NHS are doing the minimum required based on patient age only.
Although stats appear to show that Britain lags behind rest of Europe as far as cancer survival rates for the over 80's are concerned.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 13:34:54 »

Thanks Darlo & PV.

I'd agree that's it's too risky to travel without insurance in this case.
Will check out alternative quotes, but sharing the cost between the family will probably be the way forward.

PV. It's the same type of cancer in our case.
Upper esophagus, but the person is 85 plus.
One course of radio plus a stent fitted so far.
Looks like a second one will need to go in with one more course of radio a possibility.
All food has to be liquidized, weight loss, horrible mucus cough etc.

I'm sure it's not the case, but there is the suspicion that the NHS are doing the minimum required based on patient age only.
Although stats appear to show that Britain lags behind rest of Europe as far as cancer survival rates for the over 80's are concerned.

No problem mate, hope it all works out for you.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Peter Venkman

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 23, 2016, 13:40:04 »

Trust me Bob...the NHS do the bare minimum for most cancer patients, I have been treated appallingly, with operations cancelled after being in pre op for 4 hours, no communication etc.

Such a shame, but hopefully you can get it sorted, mine is the lower esophagus so its less aggressive than upper.

I hope you can find a lower insurance but please don't risk going without insurance it just isnt worth the risk, good luck to you and your family member.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 01:08:02 »

Trust me Bob...the NHS do the bare minimum for most cancer patients, I have been treated appallingly, with operations cancelled after being in pre op for 4 hours, no communication etc.

Such a shame, but hopefully you can get it sorted, mine is the lower esophagus so its less aggressive than upper.

I hope you can find a lower insurance but please don't risk going without insurance it just isnt worth the risk, good luck to you and your family member.

You're too ugly to die JJ!

35 years left in you ...minimum!!

Clems Army!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 07:47:08 »

You're too ugly to die JJ!

35 years left in you ...minimum!!
I would be happy with 35 months the way I feel at the moment!, when you are too ugly to die too pretty to live! Cheesy
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 08:42:17 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: