Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Russian Athletes Banned from Rio 2016  (Read 4981 times)
Panda Paws

« Reply #15 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 14:36:45 »

I think Russia should be allowed to compete, and in fact that athletes should be able to do and take whatever the hell they want.

I'd love to see someone run 100 metres in 8 seconds.

Tend to agree these days. Just let athletes do whatever the hell they want to their own bodies. Fastest, Strongest, Highest man wins. The only way you get a true level playing field.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 14:50:33 »

Tend to agree these days. Just let athletes do whatever the hell they want to their own bodies. Fastest, Strongest, Highest man wins. The only way you get a true level playing field.

Unfortunately it doesn't work....there's plenty of evidence that drug use has later in life deleterious health effects, so rightly people should have the right to opt out. Maybe a drug and clean separate Games could happen.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 14:56:45 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 15:02:18 »

Unfortunately it doesn't work....there's plenty of evidence that drug use has later in life deleterious health effects, so rightly people should have the right to opt out. Maybe a drug and clean separate Games could happen.

But most athletes are taking some sort of supplement, substance or drug, banned or otherwise. Training to be a sprinter, or a boxer, or a cyclist, or a gymnast or whatever at an elite level will more often than not have deleterious long-term effects. If a competitor chooses to gamble with their long-term health in the chase for victory, so be it. Ultimately they all do.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 15:41:12 »

But most athletes are taking some sort of supplement, substance or drug, banned or otherwise. Training to be a sprinter, or a boxer, or a cyclist, or a gymnast or whatever at an elite level will more often than not have deleterious long-term effects. If a competitor chooses to gamble with their long-term health in the chase for victory, so be it. Ultimately they all do.

I'm sure true...but young ultra competitive people  will be reckless, it's up to the authorities to set the limits as to what supplements etc are acceptable and at what levels etc.

If they choose to ignore these recommendations then they should be rightly called out for it. The problem with the whole Russian thing is that being State sponsored takes freedom away from the athlete.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 15:44:51 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 19:44:17 »

curious about the "all drugs allowed" games proponents....what would it be like if there were not even any need to pretend not to take drugs?

Genetically modified, mutant freaks...redundant masking agent workers picketing outside the stadia...

It may be sport Jim but not as we know it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 11:09:04 »

I notice that they have confirmed that another 40+ retrospective dope tests from 2008 and 2012 Olympics have flagged up doping, are they ever going to name those involved?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 11:31:15 »

I notice that they have confirmed that another 40+ retrospective dope tests from 2008 and 2012 Olympics have flagged up doping, are they ever going to name those involved?

I like the idea of keeping samples, and then busting people retrospectively when the testing catches up....there's a lot of lucre to made from advertising/sponsorship etc if a few people have to pay back down the line for historic doping it might make a few think twice.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 15:13:44 »

it'll be the IOC anthem

Life is a minestrone or dreadlock holiday?

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 22:16:35 »

I have a feeling Russia will not take this lying down and there could be repercussions other than in sport on this.

I agree.
Sport is more about politics to them (hence the win at all costs mentality), and this will add to Putin's Millwall style "no one likes us we don't care " strategy.
And will get him even more backing within Russia when he decides to take back another bit of the old Soviet Union.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 22:18:42 »

What I meant to add was - but I would still ban them.

I reckon we have about 5 years left of sport worth watching before undetectable gene doping is widespread.
So would prefer to come down hard on cheats while we still can
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 22:30:53 »

A bit of a bold statement don't you think?

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, July 24, 2016, 04:20:05 »

curious about the "all drugs allowed" games proponents....what would it be like if there were not even any need to pretend not to take drugs?

Genetically modified, mutant freaks...redundant masking agent workers picketing outside the stadia...

It may be sport Jim but not as we know it.

But it's a great Hollywood blockbuster waiting to be made.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: