Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another computer problem thread  (Read 10913 times)
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 9, 2016, 06:19:39 »

If you have a writable dvd you can right click the iso and then select burn image to disc which may be easier
stfcinbmth

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 9, 2016, 18:04:34 »

Good source for Windows downloads

www.getintopc.com
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, July 12, 2016, 10:43:49 »

Thanks so much guys Smiley still having a few niggles but at least I managed to reinstall windows OK and I can install most things again! You're great x

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 13:09:51 »

Turned my laptop on and it'a a black screen with flashing cursor. Rebooting it just gets the same result. Tried googling the answer and it's all bamboozling to me.

Can anyone help? I'm self-employed and basically can't work without access to all my stuff on the laptop so any help gratefully received (albeit I'm not at all techie so can only follow basic instructions..)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 14:24:33 »

Sometimes laptops get an error in the bios so first off try...Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and reboot.

If this fails then its a good chance the hard drive has failed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 14:37:19 »

and to state the obvious make sure nothing is plugged in to the USB, no disk in DVD drive etc....
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 14:43:36 »

Cheers both. Still doing the same.

Can I get this repaired and if so, can it be done quickly?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, November 6, 2016, 18:10:37 »

A new hard drive and a re-install of Windows won't take too long.

Depending on the state of the failed drive, you may be able to get your data back too.
Flashheart

« Reply #23 on: Monday, November 7, 2016, 18:23:56 »

I'm bored, so I'll share my latest kerfuffle. This thread'll do.

Some of you will remember I had a graphics card break a while ago. Well, a new one arrived so I whacked that in and everything was hunky dory, until....pop. Same thing. The computer wont even boot with it in. This was a new card, not even a couple of months old.

I took the card to a shop, didn't work. Something's wrong and the main culprit as far as I can tell is the PSU overloading the card. Not wanting to spend much money on another card until I've got to the bottom of the problem, I bought a cheap one to tide me over till now.... that didn't work either. Took the cheap replacement card to the shop to check and it worked fine.

It seems as though my MB is fucked also, or at least the part that allows me to use a graphics card. The best guess so far is a faulty PSU which has overloaded the MB, frying the card at the same time and is probably also responsible for frying the card that went a few months ago.

What a kerfuffle. I don't usually have computer problems asides from software playing up from time to time, but it's been a fucking nightmare lately, an expensive nightmare to boot (see what I did there?).  
Flashheart

« Reply #24 on: Monday, November 7, 2016, 18:26:19 »

Oh, and just to rub salt into the wounds, the on-board card isn't compatible with Windows 10.  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: