Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next England Manager  (Read 72643 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 08:56:42 »

I stuck a tenner on Allardyce at 8/1 a couple of days after we went out. Think it's his time and could be exactly what those players need

Apparently being interviewed this week.

I'm all for it, what this tournament has shown again, is that being fairly average, but with  good organisation and teamwork can carry you a long way.

We couldn't even sort out corners and free kicks. Now I'm not suggesting we'll win under Allardyce, I would just like to see a level of basic competence return.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 09:23:27 »

Apparently being interviewed this week.

I'm all for it, what this tournament has shown again, is that being fairly average, but with  good organisation and teamwork can carry you a long way.

We couldn't even sort out corners and free kicks. Now I'm not suggesting we'll win under Allardyce, I would just like to see a level of basic competence return.

I am not really bothered who it is to be honest, if we cannot manage basic passing and controlling of a football as against Iceland (and that isn't really the responsibility of the England Manager) we may as well give up and go home.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 09:38:54 »

we may as well give up and go home.
That's pretty much exactly what we did, tbf
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 09:39:54 »

I am not really bothered who it is to be honest, if we cannot manage basic passing and controlling of a football as against Iceland (and that isn't really the responsibility of the England Manager) we may as well give up and go home.

Surely though, such a complete disintegration is the reponsibilty of the manager and coaching staff.  

I would suggest given the chronic inability of our players to think on their feet, what they need is a very simple game plan. Keep it tight, try to hit on the break or nick a goal from a set play, bit like Portugal. To this end, players selected should be those who demonstrably show teamwork and mental application.  Flaky types like Sterling and Sturridge should be kept to an absolute minimum, ie perhaps you can carry one, but not 5 or 6
« Last Edit: Monday, July 11, 2016, 09:43:56 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 09:49:35 »

I would give Hoddle another go, just make sure that he has a PR man to keep him in check.  If not I would go big Sam.  As has been said, you don't need the best manager, but a good organiser that has the respect of the players..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #95 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 09:53:08 »

Time for Arsene to leave the Arse and take over, the FA love him, a lot of Arse fans no longer love him, time is right but would he take it with the extra pressure of the media? I doubt it.
Arsene would still be my number one choice, failing that I would give Big Sam a go in the job.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 09:59:11 »

Arsene would still be my number one choice, failing that I would give Big Sam a go in the job.

I think Wenger would be mental to take it (and the FA a little mad also) much of our problem seems to stem from mental fragility and this is exactly what seems to hold Arsenal back?

Has Pardew thrown his hat in the ring yet (been away for a couple of weeks and avoiding the media post Brexit), did read about the Howe/Redknapp dream ticket over the weekend?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #97 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 10:00:43 »

Has Pardew thrown his hat in the ring yet (been away for a couple of weeks and avoiding the media post Brexit), did read about the Howe/Redknapp dream ticket over the weekend?
Thats mental Don Howe died 6 months ago....

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 10:07:41 »

I think Wenger would be mental to take it (and the FA a little mad also) much of our problem seems to stem from mental fragility and this is exactly what seems to hold Arsenal back?

Ironically back in the late 90's when Glenn took on the job, he wanted to bring in Wenger his old boss from Monaco, into a sort of Director of Football role, to take an overview of the whole England set up.

Wenger was at Nagoya Grampus Eight in Japan at the time, from memory the FA didn't scupper it, but rather Glenn's praise of Wenger alerted Arsenal, who moved first and the rest as they say is history.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 10:29:15 »

Fuck it, give it to Holloway, that's about as close to Mike Bassett we can get.
Honest Lee

We are going up ! (sometime)

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 10:34:29 »

Perhaps you are forgetting the brilliant Steve Cotteril

The only thing that ever matters is to love and to be loved.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 13:00:12 »

Perhaps you are forgetting the brilliant Steve Cotteril

He wouldn't lower himself. Plus the rebrand to "Steve Coteril's England" may prove expensive.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 13:01:30 »

I reckon we should choose between Shearer, Keown, Mills, Dixon, Townsend or any of the other regular pundits.

They've all got fantastic ideas to cure the fuck up that is Engerland FC (well, they have if you listen to some of their bollocks on the radio or TV during and after a game) so winning the next World Cup is a nailed on cert.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 17:18:27 »

I reckon we should choose between Shearer, Keown, Mills, Dixon, Townsend or any of the other regular pundits.

They've all got fantastic ideas to cure the fuck up that is Engerland FC (well, they have if you listen to some of their bollocks on the radio or TV during and after a game) so winning the next World Cup is a nailed on cert.

But would you disagree with them?  They all said what we all thought.  Would you rather they'd have said we were good?  They're there to do their job and they called it as they saw it, what's the problem?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Monday, July 11, 2016, 17:21:11 »

But would you disagree with them?  They all said what we all thought.  Would you rather they'd have said we were good?  They're there to do their job and they called it as they saw it, what's the problem?

Have to agree with you there. Pundits take a lot of criticism but I thought after the Iceland debacle they at least showed they cared.

I think we could do worse than Shearer - as an advisor anyway. The man knows the game very well, and I think he's improved massively since someone at the BBC obviously told him he could say what he thought.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: