Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next England Manager  (Read 72542 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 06:44:57 »

Most of them would have been total shit in a different league. Beckham did ok. Ferdinand and Campbell may have been ok. Rooney and Gerrard playing in the Spanish or Italian league makes me laugh. We delude ourselves.

You think a 2006 Rooney and Gerard would have been shit playing in Spain or Italy? The delusion is yours
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 08:58:02 »

Probably not complete toast, but they'd have been far less stand out than they were in our league.  It speak loud enough that very few of our players are ever considered for foreign soil.  Historically, before the PL came around and confused it with money, attitude was a big part of this - one of our finest players in Des Walker was ruined by the experience.  Rush was a non entity abroad.  Probably the best two exports we've managed were Hoddle and Waddle - both too maverick to firm up regular starting positions in the England team and described as luxury players in this country during their time.  It simply has to be a mental issue, which is developed over many years and I'm not just talking about players, it goes through coaching and the entire structure of our game.  An arrogance without effort or application, a lack of focus on gaining more intelligence an unwillingness to accept variation and difference.

In reverse, perfectly average foreign players can forge a career at a high level here, once they've figured out the local approach.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #152 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 09:19:34 »

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Barry Scott

« Reply #153 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 10:27:05 »

I think Allardyce is a great appointment. I can't see him pushing square pegs in round holes and leaving form players like Drinkwater and Noble at home. He'll also be able to motivate the players one hopes and be able to cut the big-club-passengers out the side.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 10:54:51 »

I think Allardyce is a great appointment. I can't see him pushing square pegs in round holes and leaving form players like Drinkwater and Noble at home. He'll also be able to motivate the players one hopes and be able to cut the big-club-passengers out the side.

You'd like to think Sam will see the obvious, but a strange malady sems to infect all England managers. You might call it the Sturridge/Sterling syndrome...2 players who had a decent season when playing along Luis Suarez, who is a genuine world class player, but have been moderate since he left, so they're supposed to be wonderful, yet all the evidence suggest not.

Managers somehow think they'll be the man to get them back playing properly.....I do fear that Sam may fancy himself for a bit of this. I hope he bins these off, even if it means picking players from the Championship.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 22, 2016, 11:03:23 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 11:17:29 »

You'd like to think Sam will see the obvious, but a strange malady sems to infect all England managers. You might call it the Sturridge/Sterling syndrome...2 players who had a decent season when playing along Luis Suarez, who is a genuine world class player, but have been moderate since he left, so they're supposed to be wonderful, yet all the evidence suggest not.

Managers somehow think they'll be the man to get them back playing properly.....I do fear that Sam may fancy himself for a bit of this. I hope he bins these off, even if it means picking players from the Championship.

To bin off a fit Daniel Sturridge for a Championship player would be insanity, he's one of the few intelligent footballers that we have.

It will be interesting to see what Allardyce does with these players, in theory/on paper/insert cliché of choice here this will be the best squad he's ever worked with…
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 11:28:30 »

To bin off a fit Daniel Sturridge for a Championship player would be insanity, he's one of the few intelligent footballers that we have.

It will be interesting to see what Allardyce does with these players, in theory/on paper/insert cliché of choice here this will be the best squad he's ever worked with…

Why insanity?....Wales who got to the semi played Hal Robson Kanu, a Championship player....who performed admirably scoring one of the goals of the tournament.  maybe HRK, knew that as he didn't have a club, a good showing would put himself in the window, or maybe he just had a pride in playing for his team/Principality.

In your world, put Sturridge in the Wales team and he'd have been better than HRK...in my world all the evidence suggests not.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 11:37:05 »

Why insanity?....Wales who got to the semi played Hal Robson Kanu, a Championship player....who performed admirably scoring one of the goals of the tournament.  maybe HRK, knew that as he didn't have a club, a good showing would put himself in the window, or maybe he just had a pride in playing for his team/Principality.

In your world, put Sturridge in the Wales team and he'd have been better than HRK...in my world all the evidence suggests not.

Shove Charlie Austin in there and see how he does.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 11:45:50 »

Shove Charlie Austin in there and see how he does.

Charlie got injured at an inopportune time....remember about a year ago Woy, brought CA and Vardy into the squad, CA looked the better bet..

One thing people say about Vardy is that he's not really that much of different player now then when he played for Fleetwood. He'd never have got capped if still at Highbury.

Scotland used to have a similar outlook, take Calderwood and Shearer, both excellent players for Swindon, but could only get picked when moving in Dunc's case to Aberdeen Colin's....Spurs. Now of course the Sweaties have to take anybody, even if like Matt Ritchie never having been to Scotland.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 11:58:54 »

Charlie got injured at an inopportune time....remember about a year ago Woy, brought CA and Vardy into the squad, CA looked the better bet..

One thing people say about Vardy is that he's not really that much of different player now then when he played for Fleetwood. He'd never have got capped if still at Highbury.

Scotland used to have a similar outlook, take Calderwood and Shearer, both excellent players for Swindon, but could only get picked when moving in Dunc's case to Aberdeen Colin's....Spurs. Now of course the Sweaties have to take anybody, even if like Matt Ritchie never having been to Scotland.

Born and bred in Gosport, qualifies for Scotland. Standard. That's like the geographical extertise of one Michael Smith.

If Charlie has a decent start to the season, I can see him getting in for the next International Break. One thing for sure is that Big Sam will HAVE to change some bits up.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 12:03:32 »

Born and bred in Gosport, qualifies for Scotland. Standard. That's like the geographical extertise of one Michael Smith.

If Charlie has a decent start to the season, I can see him getting in for the next International Break. One thing for sure is that Big Sam will HAVE to change some bits up.

I think we're straight into WC qualifiers....so not much room for being over experimental.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #161 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 12:05:09 »

I think Vardy and Sturridge are good enough for England...if the manager plays to their fucking strengths not how Woy played them.

You don't experiment in Finals.

DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 12:11:02 »

I think we're straight into WC qualifiers....so not much room for being over experimental.

I think there's a little bit of movement for the qualifiers, but like JJ says, not in the finals..

Barry Scott

« Reply #163 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 12:18:28 »

Quite. All we want to see is players who want to play.

People might belittle his style, and I confess to be someone that ordinarily would.

But there is nothing world class or particularly talented about the England squad. Sam has rarely managed squads full of talent and has managed to motivate teams that seem full of wasters into teams that win and over-achieve.

In many ways, as a manager who always seems to be saving clubs from relegation, he seems geared for the job, because England aren't challengers, they're like a lazy relegation threatened team with near total disdain for their club.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #164 on: Friday, July 22, 2016, 12:19:26 »

I think there's a little bit of movement for the qualifiers, but like JJ says, not in the finals..
I have no problem with some experimenting against the lower ranked teams in qualifiers and in friendlies but even then you don't make 6 changes you change 1 or 2 players.

For the record I would love Charlie in the team he is a natural poacher, something we haven't had for England in years but he would need service, thats not something any England striker had at the euros.

I do think that unless Charlie has a great run in the Premiership then chances are he has missed the boat for England, unless big Sam rates him of course.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: