Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next England Manager  (Read 72642 times)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 19:21:22 »

Fuck me he can't run a premiere club?

Doh

Well yea apart from the fact he has left every club he has managed in a higher league position then when he joined
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 19:22:57 »

I think he's about the best choice available. I don't think he's as agricultural as people think, he's jsut not a Brendan Rogers esque philosopher who will try to play tiki taka if he doesn't have the resources. A lot of the clubs he's been at have, largely, been a pile of shite, particularly Sunderland most recently, so if the football wasn't great I wouldn't lay that 100% at his door.

That said, being able to organise a defence and sort out set pieces seems like a bloody good start as far as this England side go.

Exactly....the last tournament where we did sort of OK was Euro 12 (when I say sort of OK meaning not humiliated)

Woy had only come into it late when Capello walked....so what did do?  Our most completed pass was Hart to Carroll, we played direct.  Drew with France then beat Sweden and Ukraine in winning the group went out to Italy on pens.

Subsequently Woy tried to sex it up a bit at the WC and recent Euro....we won one game v Wales.

THe FA have stated that it's the mental disintegration bit which concerns them and blame the tabloids...you'dlike to think Sam might bin off the Sturridges and Sterlings and go for something a bit more resilient, even if form lower down the pecking order.   I'd imagine fellas like Colback, Cattermole, Cresswell and Shawcross might be getting a call

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 19:25:46 »

This is as good an appointment as you will get. At least we might scrap the stupid fascination with trying to play continental football which has got us absolutely nowhere.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 19:53:08 »

Hopefully we start picking some players on form rather than some cunts based on reputation and who they play for
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 19:53:58 »

The shape of things to come?  Smiley

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, July 20, 2016, 21:18:07 »

This is as good an appointment as you will get. At least we might scrap the stupid fascination with trying to play continental football which has got us absolutely nowhere.

The last Manager we had who had a similar approach was Graham Taylor, we were abject, so don't expect a huge difference.  Sam will make it simple for the players (he did a piece in a paper a few years back explaining exactly how he'd run the show) and we might become trickier to play against, but he'll still be working with the same players and comes with his own limitations (as shown by someone like Bilic at West Ham)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 05:11:18 »

steveg

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 05:33:17 »

Micky Hazard tweet

"I feel sorry for the Birds, imagine how they feel,no more flying over Wembley during England games for fear of being struck by footballs soapy tit wank"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 08:16:50 »

The last Manager we had who had a similar approach was Graham Taylor, we were abject, so don't expect a huge difference.  Sam will make it simple for the players (he did a piece in a paper a few years back explaining exactly how he'd run the show) and we might become trickier to play against, but he'll still be working with the same players and comes with his own limitations (as shown by someone like Bilic at West Ham)

Different world.....back in the early 90's we still had players from Italia 90 around, but perhaps starting to decline....the Prem, was yet to really get going, so plenty of players to pick from.

Big Sam inherits a small pool of players of limited ability who've not had a properly convincing campaign for years....we're the national team equivalent of a relegation candidate....put Pep in charge of England and we wouldn't suddenly become good.

I think the FA for once have shown some sense here
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 08:41:01 »

You depress me I'm sorry to say. Absolute Turner all over again?  I remember West Ham fans comments?! Wembley will less than half full?!

Turner?? I assume you mean Taylor??

Just out of interest who would you have given the job to?
Flashheart

« Reply #130 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 08:43:00 »

Call me a cunt, but I'm going to give big Sam a chance before writing him off.

I'm not much good at this football fan malarky, am I?
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 08:47:18 »

The guys done a pretty good job wherever he's gone really. Sunderland were goners until Sam came in. It won't be pretty but I imagine it will be pretty effective.

Getting a bit sick of the "he's never won anything". He made Bolton into a top 6 side. Fucking Bolton. Not to mention promotions with them, Notts Co & West Ham.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 08:51:52 »

Different world.....back in the early 90's we still had players from Italia 90 around, but perhaps starting to decline....the Prem, was yet to really get going, so plenty of players to pick from.

Big Sam inherits a small pool of players of limited ability who've not had a properly convincing campaign for years....we're the national team equivalent of a relegation candidate....put Pep in charge of England and we wouldn't suddenly become good.

I think the FA for once have shown some sense here

I agree, in pure logic terms he is the best option, assuming Harry is now really only any good for the local bars of Poole
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 08:54:51 »

The guys done a pretty good job wherever he's gone really. Sunderland were goners until Sam came in. It won't be pretty but I imagine it will be pretty effective.

Getting a bit sick of the "he's never won anything". He made Bolton into a top 6 side. Fucking Bolton. Not to mention promotions with them, Notts Co & West Ham.

Pretty much reflects my feelings, I cannot say I am a fan of his (he comes across as a bit of a knob at times), but it isn't a popularity contest and he has a history of getting average players organised and playing as a team which is sorely missing at the moment.

This makes fairly interesting reading http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36851259
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 08:54:58 »

Call me a cunt, but I'm going to give big Sam a chance before writing him off.

I'm not much good at this football fan malarky, am I?

One thing for sure is that the England job always ends in ignominy....even Sir Alf.  However you get amply compensated and I'm sure it can be fun.

It will be te same for Sam, but he does look like he genuinely wants the job and think he understands English football and its fans.

The FA want this England "identity" thing, which is why they put Adi Hoofroyd, in charge of the U 19's....currently in the semis of their Euros in Hunland....

....and 2-0 down to Italy with about 20 to go, so a good fit.  The U 19's, mainly big strong athletic lads with Prem clubs, unlikely to see first team action, apart from the FLT and a handful out on loan.

We need as fans to realise we're not much good at this football lark....and learn to accept getting to a quarter/semi and an honourable defeat is as good as it gets atm
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 21, 2016, 11:33:31 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: