Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Question of Nationality.  (Read 7082 times)
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 20:33:52 »

I have to say, when England are in a major tournament (like the Euro's, obviously) they're my first choice.

Aside from that I always want the other home nations to do well. I hear/read other people say 'would they want us to do well?'.. my answer to that is 'I couldn't give less of a fuck whether they do or not'... I do and that's it.

Same as club football, I always want the home nation teams to do well over the foreign teams. For me, the perfect Champions League final would include 2 British teams.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 20:42:52 »

No Jock or Taff sees themselves as British first.

It's why there is a culture for Scotland, Ireland and Wales but absolutely fuck all for England.

There's something wrong with the English in despising any notion of nationhood.

Well I revel in my Englishness. I can go back 4 to 5 generations and all born in England. After that records for the poor are difficult to follow, if not impossible. Of course this is only a paper chase as its often said "its a very clever child who knows his/her own father"
most of the people I know struggle to go back as far as their grandparents before foreign blood rears its ugly head. Every chancer who wanted to try his/her luck headed to England, nobody headed to Scotland or Wales, what would of been the point.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 20:53:33 »

most of the people I know struggle to go back as far as their grandparents before foreign blood rears its ugly head. Every chancer who wanted to try his/her luck headed to England, nobody headed to Scotland or Wales, what would of been the point.

I hope I've interpreted this wrong, but what a vile sentiment. What's your cut off point for qualifying as English? Just curious as I hate to break it to you, but, someone, somewhere down the line in your family, was probably foreign at some point. We've had a few invasions over the years...

FWIW I consider myself British/English. Grandfather was Irish although I've never felt much connection.
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 20:55:21 by ibelieveinmrreeves » Logged

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 20:53:36 »

I'm European,union or no fucking union!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 20:55:41 »

Well I revel in my Englishness. I can go back 4 to 5 generations and all born in England. After that records for the poor are difficult to follow, if not impossible. Of course this is only a paper chase as its often said "its a very clever child who knows his/her own father"

You really are a complete fucking cunt
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 21:07:31 »

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 21:10:57 »

Blimey!

Do you have a pitbull aswell?

StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 21:53:59 »

most of the people I know struggle to go back as far as their grandparents before foreign blood rears its ugly head. Every chancer who wanted to try his/her luck headed to England,

You seem to be missing the part of the brain that processes irony..
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 21:58:25 »

most of the people I know struggle to go back as far as their grandparents before foreign blood rears its ugly head. Every chancer who wanted to try his/her luck headed to England
Yep, you've nailed my family. Bunch of chancers the lot of us. Great-grandad brought here as a baby by his mother, Baltic Jews both, fleeing the Czarist pogroms of the early 20th century. Only his mum was available to bring him over as his Dad was murdered by an anti-immigrant mob, stirred up by the inept Czarist government, who sought to deflect blame for their ill-government on the popular scapegoats of the time, the Jews. "Chancers" that they were, they sought refuge in England, as a later generation of Jews did in the 1930s from a similar persecution, because England had a reputation for tolerance.

My Grandad was raised a proud Englishman, fought for the RAF in the war and afterwards worked hard to build a business that employed a few dozen local lads, met a Manx lass and with her raised a family who were raised to be proud of their roots, Jewish, Manx and mainly English. Mainly because of my Grandad and Grandma's belief in the inherent civilisation of English values. You can argue the toss over whether they were right or wrong about that, but an essential belief in tolerance was core to what they thought Englishness represented and what they drilled into their children and their children drilled into us, the 3rd generation born from "chancers". I'll leave it to the forum to decide which tradition better represents the English values we're so proud of.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 22:10:38 »

Yep, you've nailed my family. Bunch of chancers the lot of us. Great-grandad brought here as a baby by his mother, Baltic Jews both, fleeing the Czarist pogroms of the early 20th century. Only his mum was available to bring him over as his Dad was murdered by an anti-immigrant mob, stirred up by the inept Czarist government, who sought to deflect blame for their ill-government on the popular scapegoats of the time, the Jews. "Chancers" that they were, they sought refuge in England, as a later generation of Jews did in the 1930s from a similar persecution, because England had a reputation for tolerance.

My Grandad was raised a proud Englishman, fought for the RAF in the war and afterwards worked hard to build a business that employed a few dozen local lads, met a Manx lass and with her raised a family who were raised to be proud of their roots, Jewish, Manx and mainly English. Mainly because of my Grandad and Grandma's belief in the inherent civilisation of English values. You can argue the toss over whether they were right or wrong about that, but an essential belief in tolerance was core to what they thought Englishness represented and what they drilled into their children and their children drilled into us, the 3rd generation born from "chancers". I'll leave it to the forum to decide which tradition better represents the English values we're so proud of.

So what you mean to say is: you should head back to where your family came from, yeah?....

Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 22:15:49 »

I only started thinking of myself as British when we moved to Wales. Before that I was English.

National identity is about far more than where you were born. If you've lived in France for 30 years and you identify with the culture to the point you consider yourself French, fair enough. After all, you've got no control over where you're born. You have got control over where you integrate and chose to identify with.

I'm not saying if you want to be Japanese or whatever all you need to do is go and live in Tokyo for a few weeks, but the old "Jesus was born in a stable, doesn't make him a donkey" is still true.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 22:43:06 »

I'm not British I'm european

Things get better but they never get good
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 22:46:45 »

I only started thinking of myself as British when we moved to Wales. Before that I was English.

National identity is about far more than where you were born. If you've lived in France for 30 years and you identify with the culture to the point you consider yourself French, fair enough. After all, you've got no control over where you're born. You have got control over where you integrate and chose to identify with.

I'm not saying if you want to be Japanese or whatever all you need to do is go and live in Tokyo for a few weeks, but the old "Jesus was born in a stable, doesn't make him a donkey" is still true.

Incidently, Thomas Dossevi was born in a stable, wasn't he?

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 06:51:22 »

There's a few on here Turning Japanese - if you're old enough to remember The Vapors song and its meaning!
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 07:18:26 »

I really think so
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: