Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Transferring Cash Abroad  (Read 2803 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 10:20:49 »

Fellow TEF people.

I want to transfer some money from my UK Bank account to my Luxembourg Bank Account. I have seen ads for a number of companies that have been setup to minimise costs etc.

Anyone used any of these and can make suggestions?

Thanks in advance

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:04:03 »

Look into whether both your British and overseas financial institution can send and receive "SEPA" payments.

SEPA is a payment-integration initiative of the European Union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area

You may need to do it today though...

Smiley
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:11:22 »

Look into whether both your British and overseas financial institution can send and receive "SEPA" payments.

SEPA is a payment-integration initiative of the European Union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Euro_Payments_Area

You may need to do it today though...

Smiley

Sounds like BO is in the know, and getting in before the banks crash....I'm off down NatWest with a sack now  Smiley
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:14:27 »

Surely your UK bank can do a SWIFT payment?
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:16:55 »

Are you laundering your ill gotten gains BO?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:21:47 »

Surely your UK bank can do a SWIFT payment?

Probably. For some reason I presumed there would be a large bank charge. I'm just dipping my toes in the water so wondered if anyone here knew if it was beneficial to use these companies setup specifically to transfer money. I'm sure I can just transfer online using my IBAN but assumed there would be a charge.

Are you laundering your ill gotten gains BO?

Something like that Michael!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:26:02 »

Something like that Michael!

I had to pay some money to Holland earlier in the year and just took the paperwork into Nat West, if was only about 60 euro but the charges were quite steep!
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:28:23 »

A SWIFT payment is an overseas wire transfer, fees are about £20 I think, might not be universally that low or high.

I was told about SEPA the other day and these are - or will be - same day (similar to a faster payment), not sure about fees though.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:30:52 »

I had to pay some money to Holland earlier in the year and just took the paperwork into Nat West, if was only about 60 euro but the charges were quite steep!

I remember when I lived in Luxembourg I got a cheque for my birthday for £50 I think it was. I cashed it in Luxembourg and once it was cleared I think I got a total of £34 after they had deducted charges!

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:32:08 »

A SWIFT payment is an overseas wire transfer, fees are about £20 I think, might not be universally that low or high.

I was told about SEPA the other day and these are - or will be - same day (similar to a faster payment), not sure about fees though.

Thanks Michael. I'll look into that. Its not urgent, I don't need to make the payment for a month or so, just gearing myself up. I'm hopeful that today's vote will be to remain and the pound will get stronger.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:36:54 »

What about PayPal? If you've got both bank accounts linked, you should be able to top-up PayPal from one and then withdraw to the other. You'd be stuck with their exchange rate, but it should be no worse than the bank rate and probably fee-free.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 11:48:53 »

Thanks Michael. I'll look into that. Its not urgent, I don't need to make the payment for a month or so, just gearing myself up. I'm hopeful that today's vote will be to remain and the pound will get stronger.

I'd get it moved today, I understand that if we vote remain we will be in the Euro by the end of the week?

Juts put it in a suitcase and take it over or place in a condom and swallow it?
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 12:03:16 »

What about PayPal? If you've got both bank accounts linked, you should be able to top-up PayPal from one and then withdraw to the other. You'd be stuck with their exchange rate, but it should be no worse than the bank rate and probably fee-free.

Thanks Samdy. Actually I do have to get paypal setup so I might look into doing that, good idea.

I had a look at my bank and their international transfer charge is only £9.50 so that's actually less than I thought it would be.

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 12:38:09 »

My wife uses transfer wise to transfer money to her Norwegian account
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 23, 2016, 13:05:40 »

My wife uses transfer wise to transfer money to her Norwegian account

I didn't realise there was so much offshore laundering going on on here?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: