Poll
Question: Which Way Are You Voting
In - 91 (62.8%)
Out - 44 (30.3%)
Shake It All About - 10 (6.9%)
Total Voters: 132

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EU Referendum  (Read 69418 times)
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 17:28:25 »

Which kind of proves my point...as an educator didn't you feel the importance of this time?  Shouldn't that have been your motivation, rather than relegated it in importance?  Don't you think kids pick up on this....oh, look sir doesn't care so why should we?

Apologies to drag this back up, but wanted to address this point.

Thankfully, we did cover the referendum as part of our Humanities curriculum, through tutor time activities etc so all students had equally access to arguments on both sides (possibly in PSHE as well, but having had Y11 who are long gone, I wouldn't know). There was a referendum held in school for students to vote in, which saw a 56% turn out. Not amazing, but better than the turnout for 18-24 voters on the real deal! Post-result portions of lessons were dedicated to questions they had on the referendum, which I did my best to answer.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: Tuesday, June 28, 2016, 18:22:38 »

Apologies to drag this back up, but wanted to address this point.

Thankfully, we did cover the referendum as part of our Humanities curriculum, through tutor time activities etc so all students had equally access to arguments on both sides (possibly in PSHE as well, but having had Y11 who are long gone, I wouldn't know). There was a referendum held in school for students to vote in, which saw a 56% turn out. Not amazing, but better than the turnout for 18-24 voters on the real deal! Post-result portions of lessons were dedicated to questions they had on the referendum, which I did my best to answer.

The problem for state schools as guardians of the conditioning of the lower orders, is that a bit of engagement, with the structures of society, is desirable, but not too much that people might think for themselves.

This has reminded me of my own school days, when with a chum motivated by IT (International Times), we produced an "underground" school magazine.   

I named it Lamp-post, the hyphen may be inaccurate, but what the hell we were young and rebellious.  Shed light on the truth sort of idea.....we lasted 1 issue, before being carted off to the Head. Now boys, we can't have this sort of thing, you're both bright, off to uni don't rock the boat nudge nudge. If you want to write articles then put them forward for the school magazine.

That was me tamed....it had served its purpose to attract some of the nice middle class girls.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #542 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 08:45:07 »

Gove stabs Johnson in the back and stands against him for the leadership. Now that makes things a little more entertaining...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 08:53:09 »

gove  as pm....shudder.. Boris as pm ... shudder, dear oh dear.

Has Brienne of Tarth (Angela Eagle) declared a leadership contest for the labour party yet ?

the whole country is a shambles in a state of limbo. hope they sort their shit out PDQ
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 08:58:21 »

Has Brienne of Tarth (Angela Eagle) declared a leadership contest for the labour party yet ?

the whole country is a shambles in a state of limbo. hope they sort their shit out PDQ

Hopefully the Head of State is having a quiet word in the background, and knocking a few heads together.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 08:58:37 »

3 PM today supposedly, looking like she won't be the only one but would be far more candidates if Corbyn went - they don't want to split the anyonebutCorbyn vote.

When was the last time both major parties had a leadership contest at once? Must have been a long time.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 09:39:01 »

3 PM today supposedly, looking like she won't be the only one but would be far more candidates if Corbyn went - they don't want to split the anyonebutCorbyn vote.

When was the last time both major part
gove  as pm....shudder.. Boris as pm ... shudder, dear oh dear.

If Eagles is Brienne (of Tarth) is Theresa May Lady Stoneheart ?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 09:40:23 »

Eagles has the most irritating voice, for that single reason I hope she loses and is never seen again.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 10:59:21 »

Won't be Boris....he's not standing now  Smiley
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 11:09:02 »

Won't be Boris....he's not standing now  Smiley
Just goes to prove that he was pro EU, assumed we'd stay in despite his out campaign and has now screwed himself over.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 11:16:24 »

Just goes to prove that he was pro EU, assumed we'd stay in despite his out campaign and has now screwed himself over.

More like Gove has screwed him over....now looks like it will be between Gove and May, who gets presented to the Tory membership.

Either way there should be a General Election....but won't be.
Panda Paws

« Reply #551 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 11:27:11 »

Either way there should be a General Election....but won't be.

Between who? The Tory party are in bits, but issues pale in comparison to the Labour party, who aren't going to be in any position to compete. All the while the SNP are pushing to become the Opposition...

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 11:31:38 »

Between who? The Tory party are in bits, but issues pale in comparison to the Labour party, who aren't going to be in any position to compete. All the while the SNP are pushing to become the Opposition...

Exactly....which is why there won't be.  In the meantime Arron Banks, UKIP funder is looking to set up a new party of the right to take the Brexit rump of Labour.   
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 11:38:54 »

More like Gove has screwed him over....now looks like it will be between Gove and May, who gets presented to the Tory membership.
Johnson is a petulant child who delights in stirring shit up but has crapped his pants at the thought of actually having to deliver. He's faced with the prospect of either:
reneging on everything he acted as the figurehead for for the past few months, never thinking he'd actually have to deliver it and then facing the backlash if he backs out which would kill his career stone dead
or:
being the PM who has to trigger Article 50 and negotiate a way out and he knows he can't deliver on that either. He doesn't have the skills, he doesn't understand the detail and he doesn't have the patience to master it. He's happy instead to hand that poison chalice to Gove

It's Gove who's been screwed over here.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: Thursday, June 30, 2016, 11:39:51 »

Exactly....which is why there won't be.  In the meantime Arron Banks, UKIP funder is looking to set up a new party of the right to take the Brexit rump of Labour.   
UKIP2 - shedding Farage, who's served his purpose and now become a toxic liability.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: