Poll
Question: Which Way Are You Voting
In - 91 (62.8%)
Out - 44 (30.3%)
Shake It All About - 10 (6.9%)
Total Voters: 131

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EU Referendum  (Read 71533 times)
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 19:33:12 »

The privileged pricks on the telly moaning about their futures being destroyed is grinding my gears. Yes, Hadley, your dad is only going to be able to buy you 5 cars now. If only the fools could see what they were doing!

Frankly I have a great deal of respect for the aged voters who favoured out because they've lived through it for years. They remember voting for the EEC, not the EU. They've seen everything it entails. You've just come off your gap yuh   Suicide

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 19:35:59 »

Think this refers to the whole "we'll spend the saved £350m on the NHS" thing, the need to keep free movement if we want to maintain access to the market, etc etc.

Yes, it has been two days. Maybe nobody has lost anything yet, but it'll be at least two years until we're out of the EU. People have a right to be concerned about what they stand to lose. Particularly if you didn't vote for the austerity-wielding Tory government that you deeply mistrust.

Don't forget that the nice Chancellor, Mr Osborne, said that incipient financial crash caused by Brexit would necessitate an emergency Budget to the tune of £30Bn...in further cuts to public services and tax rises.

Given that there are already major cuts in the public sector pipeline....see teacher's strike next month...a 2008 style recession is a distinct possibilty.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:28:42 »

Judging by the fact BREGRET seems to be the new word doing the rounds I'd say not. As I suspected a lot didn't realise what they were voting on or the potential impact and are now regretting voting to leave.
First of all 'Bregret'Huh? Are you fucking serious? Secondly, where have you seen this word being used? Just for the record, I don't have any 'bregrets'. Jesus wept. Doh

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/britons-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-after-voting-to-leave-it-a7101856.html

That is a meaningless piece-of-shit article. 'Frantically Googling'...really?? It doesn't even mention how many of these searches there were. And how do they know it wasn't 'Bremain' supporters making those searches? I wonder which side of the debate the so called 'Independent' stands on??

Frankly I have a great deal of respect for the aged voters who favoured out because they've lived through it for years. They remember voting for the EEC, not the EU. They've seen everything it entails. You've just come off your gap yuh   Suicide
I'm not having a go at you here Ells but we really need to get away from the idea that absolutely everyone who voted to leave is senile, stupid, racist or all of the above. One small example - A girl who I work with is only 20 (extremely bright as it happens) and (to my surprise I'll admit) voted to leave, as did all her friends. My parents-in-law on the other hand who are, to be fair, cracking on a bit voted (much to my consternation given their views, but that's another story) to stay.

The superior, condescending attitude of some (many?) of those who wanted us to stay and who are making sweeping generalizations about all 17,410,742 of us and are making us out to be fucking simpletons is absolutely fucking me off.*

*Your post did not actually offend me at all Ells. I just used it as something to latch on to, to make my point. I don't find you to be condescending or any of that stuff. Although 'aged voters' was a bit of a naff turn of phrase - I'll forgive you for that though Wink

Why are people regretting anything?

Fuck all's happened.

If people were allowed to have an open debate on immigration years ago this would have been avoided.

But, oh no, the wooly liberal left, the media and politicians avoided the subject like the plague.

Even on here, one word wrongly  put, had the racist word thrown at them.
Good point - We're completely incapable of having a grown up, frank debate about anything even remotely emotive or controversial in this country without it turning into a slanging match. Sad but true.
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 21:39:48 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:31:49 »

I was actually on the side of the "old people".. That's what I meant. I was annoyed by these (extremely privileged) youths bleating on about how these 60+ people had ruined the country for their generation. I was using their terminology, or trying to cos I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it!

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:43:36 »

I was actually on the side of the "old people".. That's what I meant. I was annoyed by these (extremely privileged) youths bleating on about how these 60+ people had ruined the country for their generation. I was using their terminology, or trying to cos I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it!
I know you were. That's why I wasn't offended  Wink
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 20:48:27 »

Ah I see. I agree we need to get away from these generalisations. But I was whinging about specific people - who were saying exactly that about the older generation. Not suggesting they're all like that. Given that I'm in my 20s and voted remain myself, I'm definitely not having a go at the demographic as a whole 👀

Flashheart

« Reply #396 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 21:20:36 »

I've noticed from social media (so it must be right) that a lot of the 'IN' sentiment seems to have gone from 'It'll be a disaster' to 'it'll take a couple of years before it kicks in'.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:01:40 »

We're completely incapable of having a grown up, frank debate about anything even remotely emotive or controversial in this country without it turning into a slanging match. Sad but true.

You complain that people are incapable of debating without descending into a slanging match

In the same post you write:
Are you fucking serious?
Jesus wept. Doh
That is a meaningless piece-of-shit article.
The superior, condescending attitude of some .....is absolutely fucking me off.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:07:07 »

Why are people still voting on this thread? Idiot
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:08:19 »

Why are people still voting on this thread? Idiot

Cos there's not been a new euro stunners

Flashheart

« Reply #400 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:12:38 »

The Euro stunners tables need updating. Chop chop woman.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 22:17:25 »

The Euro stunners tables need updating. Chop chop woman.

I can't update them til I get Norn Irons.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:07:42 »

Did any campaign even try to explain to the layperson just what the EU is? There seems to be an awful lot of people that were confused as to what they were voting on, let alone which way they should vote.

If anyone had managed to explain in detail the EU to the UK public it is fair to say that 80%+ would have voted to Leave.

It has not, never has been and never will be a simple trading block.  It is not about securing higher economic growth for it's members (albeit, that is a potential benefit of the required integration).  It is, in simple terms, a political will to integrate nations economically, politically and socially.  It may never become a United States of Europe, but it will keep on trying to get to something a bit like that.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Saturday, June 25, 2016, 23:16:00 »

Oh, and this is just opinion, but I think it's probably also ironic.  Our biggest impact on the EU was to support the inclusion of more nations (a desire to reduce the power of others and prevent the move to a Super State once we realised the end game), which is how countries such as Poland, Romania and Bulgaria have joined - and then the free movement of those people to our country have probably been the deciding factor in getting many of the Leave votes.  We were too busy complaining and manoeuvring when we should have been preparing the infrastructure of our country to absorb the inevitable increase in citizens.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Sunday, June 26, 2016, 00:39:38 »

I was actually on the side of the "old people"..

We need all the help we can get  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: