Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Going on holiday to the same place  (Read 4991 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 16:39:30 »

I've just returned from a holiday in south west Wales, fourth visit since 2011. As the season isn't fully underway yet, a lot of the people around were older retired couples or locals. This made my wonder why people go on holiday to the same place every year? Is it convenience? Knowing the area? Familiarity? Anxiety about new places? Don't like going abroad?

Primarily we go back to the same place as it's convenient for Skomer Island but also because it's not particularly expensive and we've got to know the area.

My question is whether anyone else has a tendency to revisit the same area on holiday on more than two occasions and why?

(also, does it make me old?)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 16:46:52 »

I've just returned from a holiday in south west Wales, fourth visit since 2011. As the season isn't fully underway yet, a lot of the people around were older retired couples or locals. This made my wonder why people go on holiday to the same place every year? Is it convenience? Knowing the area? Familiarity? Anxiety about new places? Don't like going abroad?

Primarily we go back to the same place as it's convenient for Skomer Island but also because it's not particularly expensive and we've got to know the area.

My question is whether anyone else has a tendency to revisit the same area on holiday on more than two occasions and why?

(also, does it make me old?)

Yes.

Kusadasi in Turkey.

Because we have an apartment there so it's convenient to not have to faff about with hotels etc.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 16:50:24 »

Koh Samet. It's easy, convenient and we know a few people there. Not been on holiday for a while though and might try somewhere else next time as Samet is getting a tad too polluted.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 17:05:00 »

Just come back from Kefalonia - same hotel as last year.

Find it so easy to settle straight in  and also familiar with the restaurants and bars etc.

May go back again in September but I think next year it'll be somewhere different.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 17:05:04 »

I know lots of people who do this, but it's always struck me as slightly odd. For me going somewhere different is what makes it fun.

Having said that, I've been somewhere like Cornwall on lots of occasions....but will base in a different bit, and there may have been years between visits.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 17:07:16 »

been to the same place in Tenerife a couple of times, intend going again.

A) just because it's great value for money, b) exactly what we want when we go  - so why stay in a different apartment complex.
----
that's not to say we want to go to Tenerife on every holiday mind,  but with Florida and Canada on the list they take a bit of saving for..
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 17:33:05 »

If we stay in England it's usually Woolacombe.
Stayed there a few times when kids were smaller and me & Mrs did again last October on a sun deal, in fact off there again on another sun deal week tomorrow.
Love the area, great places to visit and some good walking.

Only one place would go back to abroad and that was in tenerife, usually like to try somewhere different
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 17:33:25 »

I've done it for UK holidays. We stayed in the same place at Newquay for a few years on the trot.

But I've made a point of going somewhere different each time we go abroad. Get to see more of the world that way.

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 18:39:22 »

Just booked for next year for Mexico, going back to the same place we visited four years ago!  We loved it then and said when we left we would return. 
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 18:59:51 »

My wife is chief holiday instigator so we go where she wants. Usually Cornwall or IoW - the latter is a point of obsession with her family. I find it utterly dull.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 19:49:02 »

We have an annual family long weekend in Beer, Devon as my aunt has one of those static caravan thingys and gets discount for others.

There are worse places to have a weekend.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 20:06:13 »

Like Batch I go to Tenerife every year, sometimes twice.
Parents own an apartment over there which is located in the sun all day away from the traditional tourist areas and is a child free resort.
The weather is always great, food and drink cheap and we always find somewhere new to visit and things to do.
 Oh and the fact I pay peanuts for my week in the sun ;-)
Flashheart

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 20:13:20 »

I've seen enough of the world to know that there's a lot of shit-holes out there. Not always while actually on holiday, often on business or because I live and work there. I feel for many of the families that I see on Pattaya beach that have undoubtedly been told that they are flying to paradise only to find themselves in a cesspit.

If you want to see more of the world, go to different places. If you want to be confident of enjoying what is probably the only real holiday you get once every one or two years, go to somewhere you trust. Even if it is fucking Weymouth or something.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 20:30:45 »

Neyland.

Every year. Uncle has a house down that way. Kids love it, always something new to do. Normally stay about a week.

We go to Wales at least once a year. People mock it, but Pembrokeshire is such an ace county to go for a holiday.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, June 19, 2016, 20:42:10 »

It's lush as the locals probably don't actually say.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: