Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BT Broadband are utter shite, looking for new provider  (Read 22476 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Friday, July 1, 2016, 11:36:56 »

It's a shame that there is no ombudsman for Broadband. With so many people relying on it, there should be some sort of management or complaints procedure.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, July 1, 2016, 11:45:55 »

It's a shame that there is no ombudsman for Broadband. With so many people relying on it, there should be some sort of management or complaints procedure.
Ha ha, the only people more incompetent than BT's customer services are their complaints department. I ended up in a meta-state a couple of weeks ago, trying to find out how to make a complaint about their complaints department.

Wouldn't Ofcom be the relevant regulator?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, July 1, 2016, 11:51:47 »

Bingo.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, July 1, 2016, 12:00:07 »

Cheers but I'm no longer interested in complaining as such, that presumes there's something BT can do to put this right. And there isn't, the only thing I want them to do is fuck off.

I have a call scheduled next week with the one person who's actually helped me throughout this whole fiasco to discuss how they're going to compensate me and I need to make sure I get sufficient rebate that I don't pay this month's or last month's bill (which is a given) and to cover the cost of any cancellation charges and once that's been credited to my account, then I'll be canning the whole shitfest, broadband, TV and phone. Don't ever want to deal with BT again, dreadful company.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, July 2, 2016, 09:00:18 »

I had similar problems with BT but under slightly different circumstances.  We are in the sticks and despite this had been 'enjoying' around 3mbs per second with no drop outs

Around 12 months ago this went to complete rat shit - stuff taking ages to download, constant drop outs 1.2mb download and 0.01 Mbps uploads.

We called plusnet and had numerous visits from BT who would run the rest and deny that it was their fault show me a clean report and 5 minutes after they left the problem would still be the same.

Now, I'm pretty tech savvie and do my best to ensure that the home computers and networks are set up correctly but never expected to discover the cause was actually nothing to do with BT

2 weeks ago we had our 5th visit from an engineer who bought with him a load of diagnostic gear and spent 4 hours with me checking everything - the guy was brilliant. Turned out, after ruling out the router, the wifi and the alarm system which the other engineers had blamed for the connection issues, the root cause was iTunes... We had the Apple iCloud setting turned on and this little fucker effectively keeps and open connection which consumes a minimum of 2mb download and 0.3mb upload speed - now that may not sound a lot but when you only get 0.3 anyway it basically fucks up your broadband connection -why? Because the connection relies on a two way poll and as much as you can download stuff the server has to be told you want to download and for your upload is screwed it either takes ages or never gets the message.

So, in short, if you have a slow connection and use iTunes, turn off your iCloud synch option.

« Last Edit: Saturday, July 2, 2016, 09:03:50 by @MacPhlea » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, July 2, 2016, 09:19:11 »

he he , well it's not funny but ..
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, July 2, 2016, 15:31:01 »

With respect MacPhlea that's not even vaguely similar. It's possible our shit connection when it works might have a similar root cause (but we don't use iTunes and we've been told by successive engineers that "you just live too far away, shouldn't have been sold fibre"), but this current issue is that it's just been flat out fucked, not working, no connection, zero, zilch, nada for nearly a month now. And it's because BT simply haven't got their shit together to repair it, they've known about the fault for nearly a month, they know what it is (card in the cabinet needs replacing) and they simply sat on their arses for 3 weeks while customer services dicked us about then didn't order the right part, then ordered the right part but on the wrong day. This isn't a case of fine tuning or network configuration or anything, it's just staggering incompetence, appalling customer service and massive arrogance. And a substantial amount of lying.
stfcinbmth

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, July 3, 2016, 13:14:10 »

stfcnbmth had a friend who was an ISP and he gave me a blinding line, albeit at about twice the price of the major shite.

Surprised you left. People are constantly whinging about poor connections but won't shell out the extra for something decent. I'm still with him, very rarely get any problems
Barry Scott

« Reply #38 on: Sunday, July 3, 2016, 17:11:57 »

It was a great service, but sadly I needed to save money and decided I could no longer justify those prices.

When finances permit, I'll be back with him in a heart beat. Especially as most providers are stacking them high and selling them cheap and seem hugely inconsistent. His service was unmatched.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2016, 08:44:16 »

I have a call scheduled next week with the one person who's actually helped me throughout this whole fiasco to discuss how they're going to compensate me
So that call was on the premise that the problem would be resolved first so we could begin to discuss compensation/discounts off bills etc. Apparently it came as a complete shock to the lady that the problem hadn't been fixed, she "simply couldn't understand it, will investigate to find out what's happened" etc. So 5 mins later she calls back, to say that the part that should have been in place on Friday so the engineer could fix the cabinet, but wasn't, and which the engineer was told on Friday had been ordered the day before so would be arriving "some time on Friday" (but too late for him to fix the problem), actually wasn't ordered till Friday, but was definitely arriving yesterday and there were engineers there who would definitely fix it yesterday.

Did they fuck.

Looking forward to this morning's follow-up call. Not. BT aren't even competent liars.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2016, 08:51:44 »

Ha ha, the only people more incompetent than BT's customer services are their complaints department. I ended up in a meta-state a couple of weeks ago, trying to find out how to make a complaint about their complaints department.

Wouldn't Ofcom be the relevant regulator?

After 6 months of awful virgin internet I wrote to complain, took me ages to find an address, when I did it was a PO box in Devon or Somerset or the like. I never heard back..
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2016, 09:06:38 »

After 6 months of awful virgin internet I wrote to complain, took me ages to find an address, when I did it was a PO box in Devon or Somerset or the like. I never heard back..
That would seem to fit precisely the kind of scenario that that lot Sippo found are set up for, might be worth pursuing through them
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2016, 10:41:59 »

Now been told that when I was told yesterday that the part had been ordered on Friday (contradicting the previous claims that it had been delivered Thursday, then ordered Thursday for delivery Friday) that also wasn't true. And they won't now get it until Thursday. When they'll doubtless spin some other bullshit about why it's not turned up this time.

Told the bloke that this would mark a month since the fault was first reported and that this is beyond pathetic.
"That's your opinion".
"Really? You don't think it's pathetic?".
"That's your opinion"
"You think it's OK for BT to fail to fix what is apparently a pretty simple fault for a month? That's the level of service you aspire to deliver to your customers is it?"
"Don't take an attitude with me, sir"
Wow. Fucking gobsmacked.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2016, 10:51:16 »

That is staggeringly incompetent. Well more than that...

Unfortunately, as per Sippo's link 8 weeks seems to be the minimum before anyone actually cares. See also

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/internet/problems-and-complaints/broadband-landline-faults/
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2016, 11:07:20 »

It's very rare to find someone in an organisation like BT that wants to actually help you. Most of them just have a "It's not my problem mate, I just work here" attitude.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: