Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England V Wales - Will You Be Working Or Watching?  (Read 57111 times)
REDBUCK

« Reply #315 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:23:11 »

What was that about the Spanish looking good?

Interesting thing is that now Italy have a very good incentive not to win their group. All bets are off.

I'm not sure italy can do anything but win the group.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Tuesday, June 21, 2016, 21:43:51 »

Conversely Croatia rested 5 tonight yet beat Spain and go into the easier half of the tournament.
Exception to the norm. Key objective in any tournament is to qualify by winning your group, Hodgson tried to be clever and its backfired. Wales are probably quietly confident right now.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 06:07:29 »

Italy would beat Spain

I come from a land down-under
Panda Paws

« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 09:12:50 »

Win your group and generally you'll make things easier for yourself! Fate has gone to town to compound what was a idiotic decision and you could say he's got what he deserves!

You make things easier for yourself for one round, and we're still playing a runner-up. It doesn't matter.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 09:14:50 »

I was liking the reasoned positivity of your post until the last couple of paras. I think it's a bit of a stretch to say we're in the top two. Spain and Italy, at least, have looked more assured than us I'd say. I'd agree we look more or less on a par with France at present. Russia's subsequent results put our performance against them into perspective.
Still think Spain look more assured than us? Wink

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 09:31:50 »

Still think Spain look more assured than us? Wink

Not sure. I didn't see the game. Were they shaky? Perhaps I should have replaced Spain with Croatia. They're looking pretty assured right now!

Aren't we in a peloton of decent teams who haven't completely convinced yet, along with France, Germany, Belgium...?

As we've seen so often already, one goal changes everything. Fine margins and all that.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 09:40:33 »

One goal does indeed turn a shit performance into a good one (so many England fans think) I have not been overly impressed with any single team so far and do honestly think England are as good as any team there currently on form and ability.

Spains defence looks pretty weak currently I would say and Croatia are no world beaters but on that showing neither are Spain even though they dominated possession wise but shots wise it was close.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 09:46:12 »

Not sure. I didn't see the game. Were they shaky? Perhaps I should have replaced Spain with Croatia. They're looking pretty assured right now!

Aren't we in a peloton of decent teams who haven't completely convinced yet, along with France, Germany, Belgium...?

As we've seen so often already, one goal changes everything. Fine margins and all that.

As a follower of Spanish football....yesterday looked a bit like Del Bosque should have done a Woy and used the squad a bit more.
Croatia made 5 changes, and got the sort of response Woy was hoping for. I'd no idea who a lot of these were other than Kalinic, who had an unconvincing spell at Blackburn, but they've now put themselves in the shop window, not only for selection this tournament but a nice lucrative move in the summer.

This is something we rarely consider....the bizarre premium on Engish players, so that a Sterling costs you 49 mill, but a Perisic costs you 15 mill.

The only other country where players have this situation is Russia...by some distance the worst of the 24 in this tournament.

Only Eric Dier of the England team has looked the sort of quality to attract a Barca or Bayern...and he of course learned his football in Portugal.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 09:54:42 »

As a follower of Spanish football....yesterday looked a bit like Del Bosque should have done a Woy and used the squad a bit more.
Croatia made 5 changes, and got the sort of response Woy was hoping for. I'd no idea who a lot of these were other than Kalinic, who had an unconvincing spell at Blackburn, but they've now put themselves in the shop window, not only for selection this tournament but a nice lucrative move in the summer.

This is something we rarely consider....the bizarre premium on Engish players, so that a Sterling costs you 49 mill, but a Perisic costs you 15 mill.

The only other country where players have this situation is Russia...by some distance the worst of the 24 in this tournament.

Only Eric Dier of the England team has looked the sort of quality to attract a Barca or Bayern...and he of course learned his football in Portugal.
On recent performances I wouldn't even have Sterling in the Swindon team, he looks lazy uninterested and lacking quality.

That sounds a bit wierd saying that and actually meaning it, Swindon had a Ryan Mason play for us barely 8 months before he earned and England call up. The rise to international level can be as swift as the fall can be.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 11:26:10 »

I was very impressed with Croatia last night. Spain had a lot of the ball but the Croats pressed the ball high up the pitch and caused Spain all sorts of problems. They sucked up a fair bit of pressure but then broke at pace and with numbers.

As you say, some of the fringe players look decent and certainly Pjaca up front looked very good.

A lot of teams give Spain too much respect and watch them pass the ball around for fun. Croatia got in their faces and got the win they deserved.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 11:28:03 »

On recent performances I wouldn't even have Sterling in the Swindon team, he looks lazy uninterested and lacking quality.

That sounds a bit wierd saying that and actually meaning it, Swindon had a Ryan Mason play for us barely 8 months before he earned and England call up. The rise to international level can be as swift as the fall can be.

He can run quite fast and that's literally all he offers at the moment. Should have taken Townsend who at least ended the season quite well, did Sterling even play much for Man City last season? Same with Wilshere, he barely played for Arsenal last season, surely Drinkwater or Noble would have been more worthy on form? Or is the mantra, form is temporary, class is permanent the reason why Roy took these balloons.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 11:34:41 »

He can run quite fast and that's literally all he offers at the moment. Should have taken Townsend who at least ended the season quite well, did Sterling even play much for Man City last season? Same with Wilshere, he barely played for Arsenal last season, surely Drinkwater or Noble would have been more worthy on form? Or is the mantra, form is temporary, class is permanent the reason why Roy took these balloons.
Noble and Drinkwater are not good enough simple as that. Hodgson hoped Wilshere may be fit enough and gambled and if it pays off then it's worth it as despite him being a odious little cunt Wilshere has quality.

At no point in this tornament hae i thought fuck me i wish we had Noble or Drinkwater on the pitch
Peter Venkman

« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 11:36:49 »

Sterling needs to grow up, he plays like a little boy who looks lost, and he commanded a £49m transfer fee? WTF is happening to football?

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 11:40:34 »

Noble and Drinkwater are not good enough simple as that. Hodgson hoped Wilshere may be fit enough and gambled and if it pays off then it's worth it as despite him being a odious little cunt Wilshere has quality.

At no point in this tornament hae i thought fuck me i wish we had Noble or Drinkwater on the pitch

I can't argue that on form and fit Wilshere is one of the first names on the teamsheet. But he was terrible on Monday and I fear is just way off being as match fit as we need as we progress through the tournament.

If Noble and Drinkwater are not good enough, and presume that Wilshere was injured pre-tournament, who would you have picked out of interest?

Peter Venkman

« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, June 22, 2016, 11:45:31 »

I can't argue that on form and fit Wilshere is one of the first names on the teamsheet. But he was terrible on Monday and I fear is just way off being as match fit as we need as we progress through the tournament.

If Noble and Drinkwater are not good enough, and presume that Wilshere was injured pre-tournament, who would you have picked out of interest?
I have to admit I would have taken Drinkwater over Wilshere based on fitness and form, Wilshere was awful Monday and as you state a fully fit Wilsere is a different propostion totally to the shadow of that player we saw a few days ago.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: