Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: simon jones  (Read 6644 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2005, 19:30:30 »

Would he be persuaded to come out of retirement for one final, crucial Ashes test?!
Spencer_White

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2005, 20:17:22 »

Collingwood for me. Sures up our batting. After all we do only have to draw this test!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2005, 20:34:20 »

Quote from: "Spencer_White"
Collingwood for me. Sures up our batting. After all we do only have to draw this test!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon!

Draws in tests are as rare as dragon's eggs though, unless the weather intervenes....and at the moment its a feel of Indian summer.

So though Collingwood wouldn't let anybody down.....if Joes doesn't make it , then it should be another out and out bowler.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2005, 21:55:13 »

Quote from: "sonicyouth"
sorry that we're not all cricketing god's, boeta.

I only wish I could possibly have a mere quarter of your knowledge of cricket.

Oh come on sonic, we all know I was looking for someone to tell me that Collingwood is merely more than a bits and pieces all-rounder and provoke an argument. Actually I think the bloke is quality. But I wouldn't pick him, not now anyway. It would be a negative mood, and why would we start being negative when it's been positive selections that has got us into this position.

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
I wonder if Goughie has one last test in him?   Not really looked to see how he's been going with Essex or even if he's fit, but he's the probably the best bowler of reverse swing we've got, which seems to have troubled the Aussies.

Gough didn't look to have it at all in the ODI series. I don't think he got any wickets at all with the new ball but all of them when the tail-enders were slogging at the death.

It was orthodox swing that troubled the Aussies at Trent Bridge though.

The bowlers who get the most out of The Oval are those who are tall and get bounce. Therefore pick Tremlett. He's not in Jones' league admittedly.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2005, 22:07:37 »

Quote from: "Boeta"

Oh come on sonic, we all know I was looking for someone to tell me that Collingwood is merely more than a bits and pieces all-rounder and provoke an argument. Actually I think the bloke is quality. But I wouldn't pick him, not now anyway. It would be a negative mood, and why would we start being negative when it's been positive selections that has got us into this position.

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
I wonder if Goughie has one last test in him?   Not really looked to see how he's been going with Essex or even if he's fit, but he's the probably the best bowler of reverse swing we've got, which seems to have troubled the Aussies.

Gough didn't look to have it at all in the ODI series. I don't think he got any wickets at all with the new ball but all of them when the tail-enders were slogging at the death.

It was orthodox swing that troubled the Aussies at Trent Bridge though.

The bowlers who get the most out of The Oval are those who are tall and get bounce. Therefore pick Tremlett. He's not in Jones' league admittedly.

You don't get orthodox swing at The Oval....although fuck knows what you get in early September.....this reminds me of the 72 series when we went to the Oval 2-1 up and lost....although we held the Ashes so it didn't matter....that  Test was about the second week of August..

I saw Tremlett bowling for Ampshire in the Cand G semi.....didn't look too clever, but it should be horses for courses.

I had high hopes of Alex Tudor, but he fell off the radar.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, August 30, 2005, 22:12:37 »

"You don't get orthodox swing at The Oval"

Yeah I know, I was replying to your message that implied that it has just been reverse swing troubling the Aussies.
McLovin

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2005, 08:12:35 »

Have him, Sonic.
Asher

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2005, 08:41:23 »

Fight Fight Fight
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2005, 10:06:46 »

How about Eddie Lewis?
Not seen much of him but got picked for the one day side!
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, August 31, 2005, 10:09:58 »

Quote from: "reeves4england"
How about Eddie Lewis?
Not seen much of him but got picked for the one day side!
Why would we want to pick a Yank who plays left wing??!  Wink

If this Test was at Trent Bridge I'd have gone for Jon Lewis because it helps swing there, but The Oval helps tall bowlers who get extra bounce so it's got to be Tremlett.
STFC Village

« Reply #25 on: Monday, September 5, 2005, 02:36:21 »

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/engvaus/content/story/218069.html

Collingwood and Anderson in the provisional 13 along with Jones, by all accounts, it sounds like Jimmy would be the automatic replacement for the Welsh Wizard. Strange, seeing as no-one suggested him in this thread :|

Imo, Anderson has been disappointing for England, and i think he might struggle if he were to play the 5th test. Indications are that Jones will be back though.....*crosses fingers*
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Monday, September 5, 2005, 08:56:12 »

I agree,jimmy coming in is a gamble, i don't think he's been playing too well for his county,although he is still has a contract,so i guess its not that much of a shock.Tremlett has been a bit unlucky,being the drinks man for all of the last tests ,then getting dropped,the poor sod.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, September 5, 2005, 11:48:06 »

Quote from: "larwood"
I agree,jimmy coming in is a gamble, i don't think he's been playing too well for his county,although he is still has a contract,so i guess its not that much of a shock.Tremlett has been a bit unlucky,being the drinks man for all of the last tests ,then getting dropped,the poor sod.

TBH i wasn't that surprised at the selection. Anderson has picked up 51 wickets for lancashire this season and he has more experience than tremlett. who could forget when he burst onto the scene against the aussies and took wickets?
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Monday, September 5, 2005, 15:57:00 »

I heard that the selectors were considering calling up Gough or Caddick, can anyone confirm that? I'd have thought their experience would be a bonus, Anderson seems like a bit of gamble

but I don't know much!
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, September 5, 2005, 16:00:04 »

It's got to be Calderwood, strong in defence and a good captain.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: