Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England team v Russia  (Read 28464 times)
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 10:54:59 »

Well, the first half was one of the best halves of football I have seen an England team play. Rooney was putting in some passes that were Hoddelesque in their range and precision. Walker was excellent down the wing and has got some tricks to turn opposite numbers inside out.

Sterling has the runs but is dispossessed far to easily. A lot of attacks were thwarted when he lost the ball.

Just before the equalizer both Mrs F and I were wondering WTF we were doing defending so deep.........
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 11:08:19 »

Well, the first half was one of the best halves of football I have seen an England team play. Rooney was putting in some passes that were Hoddelesque in their range and precision. Walker was excellent down the wing and has got some tricks to turn opposite numbers inside out.

Sterling has the runs but is dispossessed far to easily. A lot of attacks were thwarted when he lost the ball.

Just before the equalizer both Mrs F and I were wondering WTF we were doing defending so deep.........

Rose deserves a mention as well, superb full back displays from them both. In fact bar Kane and sterling have few problems with any of them. Same team again for thursday, as shearer has mentioned it could be the last chance for kane and sterling before roy is forced to change the starting 11. whoever we replace sterling with on the wing will be wasted as its no ones best position, probably the least would be rashford who looked comfortable in the recent friendly. His goals have come about from being a poacher in the box so again far from ideal. For england we used to have amble options at cb and on the wing, its gone full circle.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 11:08:53 »

Under instruction - Hodgson made the changes to hold out for the 1-0.  I don't think the subs made much difference in the end, but if he's saying that post game, then the mentality in game would have shifted.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #138 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 11:15:50 »

Under instruction - Hodgson made the changes to hold out for the 1-0.  I don't think the subs made much difference in the end, but if he's saying that post game, then the mentality in game would have shifted.
I would disagree with that.We have heard for months that with such a young squad Rooneys experience will be vital  so to then take off our most experienced players when it is needed most really confused me.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 11:17:11 »

I'm suggesting the message from the bench was probably more of an influence in us dropping deep than any change in players.  The team did as they were being advised, and it cost us.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 11:23:00 »

I would disagree with that.We have heard for months that with such a young squad Rooneys experience will be vital  so to then take off our most experienced players when it is needed most really confused me.

Very much like the mistake that did for Sir Alf in 1970 WC....took off Boby Charlton in Leon when we were 2-0 v Huns in quarter final....lost 3-2  Sad
adje

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 11:40:34 »

I'm probably his biggest fan but milner was very instrumental in russia's equaliser,so not a great substitution in retrospect

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 11:47:32 »

That'll explain his performance then..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 12:59:14 »

Nah, Reg Vardy has a much better motor than Sterling.
Ahh! Thought you said Reg Varney - From On The Buses

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 13:14:10 »

I don't know what all the fuss is about replacing Sterling, we have a direct replacement who can run down blind alleys and give the ball away in Barkley?
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 15:31:45 »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/13/moscow-football-official-to-violent-fans-well-done-lads-keep-it-up

Cor, the Russian Lib Dems sound a bit different to our lot
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 16:00:47 »

Sterling *could* be a game changer, but he needs to hold and give, and do it at the right time.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #147 on: Monday, June 13, 2016, 19:49:43 »

Well I finally got round to watching the England v Russia game and the Wales v Slovakia game after missing them Saturday due to a wedding.

England did play quite well, Rooney being the pick of the team obviously.

England created a fair few chances but it just wasn't going in but we did look good.

Russia only looked threatening when lobbing in the high ball to the centre forward who won a lot in the air, tighten that up and we will be pretty solid.

As for Wales....they looked pretty average most of the game and several times Slovakia tore massive holes in their defence when running with the ball, and really should have scored 3 or 4.

England tend to run with the ball quite a lot and I can see England profitting from the weaknesses in the Welsh defence, of which there were a few.

Still confident of progressing past the group stages and I didn't think Russia were that crap we just made them look poor for most of the game with some good passing and movement.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 08:57:16 »

Well I finally got round to watching the England v Russia game and the Wales v Slovakia game after missing them Saturday due to a wedding.

Did you have it recorded on can you watch back online?
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 09:05:09 »

England did play quite well, Rooney being the pick of the team obviously.

England created a fair few chances but it just wasn't going in but we did look good.

Russia only looked threatening when lobbing in the high ball to the centre forward who won a lot in the air, tighten that up and we will be pretty solid.

As for Wales....they looked pretty average most of the game and several times Slovakia tore massive holes in their defence when running with the ball, and really should have scored 3 or 4.

England tend to run with the ball quite a lot and I can see England profitting from the weaknesses in the Welsh defence, of which there were a few.

Still confident of progressing past the group stages and I didn't think Russia were that crap we just made them look poor for most of the game with some good passing and movement.

100% agree with that, we should have nothing to fear against Bale and Ramsay.
However, shouldn't have and won't have are poles apart. Wales have nothing to prove as we are expected to win. No doubt we will struggle to get a foothold on the game, Wales  will start determined to upset the guide book and, if we fail to score first and early i see it being a very poor afternoon for England. I have read this morning that Woy is opting for the he same 11 which is fucking outrageous, Sterling was woefully below standard against Russia and doesn't deserve a start.
I do hope we fucking turn them over though!!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: