Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: lee power - do you want him here or not  (Read 11226 times)
Chippy Red

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 10:43:11 »

On the financial side he is running the club with what he's got.  Frustration for fans is that isn't alot.  He sadly isn't a very enthusiastic sounding guy.  He has a product he needs to sell to the fans but he doesn't.  He doesn't really want to be the one in front of the microphone. He could do with a chief exec who was someone who could sugar coat things and try to create some enthusiasm. 

After last season and with teams we will play next season he does need to return to his magic hat for new signings. Also needs to learn and admit a team full of technical lightweight players is not strong enough. He must balance it out with some strength.

Still expect loans turning up in august as we will have to wait to last second for players parent clubs to let us have them.

Keep him, no one else about to take over.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 10:49:08 »

I think he's done pretty well to get us running at break even and he has decent football contacts.

Not everything is rosy in the garden but for now, keep.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 10:55:00 »

End of the day I dont think we get a choice do we.  I am rather against the 'Sack the board' mentality. As may have mentioned before, there doesnt seem to be a queue of people trying to take over the club.

We dont own significant tracts of land developers can make a fortune out of.  We dont have masses of playing assets to make a fortune out of.  So if the plan is to bleed us dry and take us for everything we've got um, well, enjoy.

Offer me a viable option and Ill assess it and give an opinion.

Now Im off to get some ointment for these splinters in my arse.

Never knowingly overstated.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 11:12:13 »

The simple answer is I don't know and I would be surprised if anyone was confident one way or the other. On the footballing side we've had one nearly very good year and one nearly very bad year. We've some players come, develop and sold for good money. On the non footballing side we're getting the new training ground and we've not got everyone crawling out the woodwork about unpaid bills.
On the other side of the coin, we're clueless on finances but we always have been. Given ST sales and crowds you would expect us to be able to pump more into the playing side if we wanted to. Also given the lack of PR, Power can't really bitch too much if people put 2 and 2 together and make 4 or indeed any number. In the absence of facts, speculation will fill the void.  He is totally insular and that will always worry some.
There is one area though that really concerns me and that is the total lack of energy around the place. Even going to Wembley was flat as a pancake and last season even more so. There's no buzz and nothing to attract newbies. Nobody other than the regulars are talking about Town. There is no feel good factor - nobody to rally around whether its a player or manager.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 11:14:05 »

He will be judged when he's gone like all the others.
I see the club much like Crewe now, live within means and sell any assets to keep it rolling along. The difference is the chairman runs everything which doesn't sit well with me when it comes to the football matters. I prefer people to be employed to do that with the chairman letting them get on with it.
It is what it is and there isn't a viable alternative unfortunately. Meh!
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 11:58:21 »

He will be judged when he's gone like all the others.
I see the club much like Crewe now, live within means and sell any assets to keep it rolling along. The difference is the chairman runs everything which doesn't sit well with me when it comes to the football matters. I prefer people to be employed to do that with the chairman letting them get on with it.
It is what it is and there isn't a viable alternative unfortunately. Meh!
I thought the same until recently. When you look at players linking up with Cooper and the staff as well it seems cooper had a bigger input than we may have given him credit for.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 12:04:38 »

I thought the same until recently. When you look at players linking up with Cooper and the staff as well it seems cooper had a bigger input than we may have given him credit for.

Former players going to play for cooper doesn't mean that cooper had an input with the player signing for swindon. It could just mean that he had a player given to him, he then built a relationship and now he is a free agent thinks he would suit his new team.

I do actually think players are recruited like power says, management, scouts and owner discuss players on a short list and its power jobs to recruit and agree terms. For which I have no problem with. I couldn't care less if the the manager had no input on signings and this happens at lots of other clubs
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 12:09:30 »

Power isn't as bad as some make him out to be.

But he isnt perfect.

Truth is, as a Town we don't really get behind the club and don't really deserve much more than third level Football. If Power keeps us as a steady ship that can keep going then fair play to him. I'd love us to have an ambitious chairman who tries to take us forward but really, he'd be a fool.

I'm not sure you can say power isn't ambitious. He always says he is in this to make money and to this he needs to get the club to the championship/premiership. Id say that's ambition. Most owners with a real ambition to get promoted would invest heavily however but power is doing it on a smaller scale. The end goal is still the same and he believes he can promoted on a small budget, investing in young players and the loan market. I wish the club would market them selves better and actively seek fans like the trust are. Other than that I more than accept what power is doing and the way he is doing it.

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 12:23:58 »

Not necessarily. My understanding is that he didn't have much freedom and input. The matchday frontman apparently.
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #39 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 12:26:01 »

Not necessarily. My understanding is that he didn't have much freedom and input. The matchday frontman apparently.
But the recent coaches and players like Traore and Hylton suggest he did. No doubt the last few months were as you described but i'm certain he had a bigger impact on things than he gets credit for

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 12:28:40 »

But the recent coaches and players like Traore and Hylton suggest he did. No doubt the last few months were as you described but i'm certain he had a bigger impact on things than he gets credit for
Dunno mate. Reckon there's elements of truth in both outlooks on it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 13:16:33 »

Has he though? Perhaps he just knows what he's doing. Considering the injuries we had last season, one could argue that he's been unlucky.
When I say luck I mean that as in every signing that makes it has an element of luck, whether it was Charlie Austin with us or Jamie Vardy at Leicester, there is always a portion of luck that can go with you or against you.

As you state he was unlucky with injuries but what Power does is that he scouts players that fit into our system, he doesn't sign players that can't play with the ball at their feet as I stated in the last post.

He has signed players that know similar systems to that which we play when they leave Premiership clubs so that eases their bedding into the system somewhat.

But there will be seasons when the players he has signed attract no bids from higher clubs for transfer fees, thats lower league football, it doesn't always work but so far it has for Power which IMO is down to good scouting or talented players and an element of luck as it always is with football, you can never tell who will be a hit or miss.

although in terms of investment don't forget the training ground....
But isnt the training ground owned solely by LP and leased to the club making the training ground an asset to LP but not STFC?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 14:10:02 »

But isnt the training ground owned solely by LP and leased to the club making the training ground an asset to LP but not STFC?

The Planning Application has been made in the name of Swindon Town FC and on the form they have completed Certificate A confirming that the applicant is the owner of the site, so who knows?

Incidentally the planning application should be determined fairly soon, doesn't look like anyone has objected as yet?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: