Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: lee power - do you want him here or not  (Read 11242 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 06:49:53 »

Short term, yes. He appears to be getting us where we need to be off the field. Being pragmatic and stringent in all the right places. That is something we haven't had for a very long time. It will make us a stable nothing third tier club though - think Oldham and it must be fucking boring to support Oldham

Long term, no. Power does not have the funds or ambition to takes us forward. We will need someone else for that.

Let Power build the solid foundations, then let someone take it on and build the swanky house!!
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 07:03:34 »

What was wrong with Jed?

He was loaded and was a man of the people. Great times when he was here.

He also replied to people's tweets, don't forget that..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 07:11:59 »

I'm just waiting for him to do something now.  Grateful for the stability.  It's refreshing to know that you're almost certainly still going to be in business this time next month.  But I'm not clear how he's going to take us to the next level.

For a club of our size, we're well overdue a stint in - or at least a shot at - the 2nd tier.  There are plenty of smaller clubs who have achieved that - and better - since we last did it.  If you're 20 or over, you'll only ever have known lower league football at the County Ground.  How are we going to get there?  I do sometimes wonder whether LP is content to tread water in Division Three.

On balance, I'd rather he stayed.  Clear as mud, I know.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 08:06:19 »

He has some odd ways about him, he is very set in his ways despite any evidence against that shown by anyone ever.

He is strict and at times naive, cannot man manage from what I hear and has pretty poor inter personal skills, has no money spare to invest in improving the club on or off the pitch.

Struggles with fans expectations of how a club should be run (in the fans eyes) does not enjoy communication with media/fans but grits his teeth and gets on with it.

But he has HIS way of getting the team playing, which when bringing in these young players from Premiership clubs suits their style they have been brought up on so they can thrive and we sell them for a nice profit, with almost all of them being freebies or very small fees involved so its pure profit when that happens.

So far he has got lucky and we have had a few players each season that have been sold/sellable assets so the model is obviously working at getting his money back that he has so far invested.

Whether or not that money will ever be reinvested in the team/ground remains to be seen but hes not done too much wrong so far in my book.

The other point is......there is no viable alternative whatsoever, hes the only one who came in and put their money where their mouth is and bought us, there is no knight in shining armour with millions just round the corner, no lifetime Town fan with money to burn, no arab billionaire who wants to create the new Leicester City from a div 3 club.....so what option do we have?

For me its a definate stay until proven differently.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 08:10:46 »

He also replied to people's tweets, don't forget that..

Don't forget he also said rooooaaarrr a lot which is important in a football club owner  Cheesy
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 08:11:25 »

He has some odd ways about him, he is very set in his ways despite any evidence against that shown by anyone ever.

He is strict and at times naive, cannot man manage from what I hear and has pretty poor inter personal skills, has no money spare to invest in improving the club on or off the pitch.

Struggles with fans expectations of how a club should be run (in the fans eyes) does not enjoy communication with media/fans but grits his teeth and gets on with it.

But he has HIS way of getting the team playing, which when bringing in these young players from Premiership clubs suits their style they have been brought up on so they can thrive and we sell them for a nice profit, with almost all of them being freebies or very small fees involved so its pure profit when that happens.

So far he has got lucky and we have had a few players each season that have been sold/sellable assets so the model is obviously working at getting his money back that he has so far invested.

Whether or not that money will ever be reinvested in the team/ground remains to be seen but hes not done too much wrong so far in my book.

The other point is......there is no viable alternative whatsoever, hes the only one who came in and put their money where their mouth is and bought us, there is no knight in shining armour with millions just round the corner, no lifetime Town fan with money to burn, no arab billionaire who wants to create the new Leicester City from a div 3 club.....so what option do we have?

For me its a definate stay until proven differently.

Exactly -  although in terms of investment don't forget the training ground....
Flashheart

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 08:11:50 »

Has he though? Perhaps he just knows what he's doing. Considering the injuries we had last season, one could argue that he's been unlucky.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 08:48:57 »

Don't forget he also said rooooaaarrr a lot which is important in a football club owner  Cheesy
He also told a lot of lies!!
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 09:13:38 »

Seriously, what a total cunt that man is 

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 09:14:52 »

Short term, yes. He appears to be getting us where we need to be off the field. Being pragmatic and stringent in all the right places. That is something we haven't had for a very long time. It will make us a stable nothing third tier club though - think Oldham and it must be fucking boring to support Oldham

Long term, no. Power does not have the funds or ambition to takes us forward. We will need someone else for that.

Let Power build the solid foundations, then let someone take it on and build the swanky house!!

Probably the fairest summary I've seen.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 09:16:44 »

Has he though? Perhaps he just knows what he's doing. Considering the injuries we had last season, one could argue that he's been unlucky.

Indeed, it's not luck (well, not on the whole), it's cooly calculated gambling while knowing how the system works, sort of counting the cards a bit in Blackjack.

Luongo
Byrne
Gladwin
Ajose
Kasim?
Obika?

I won't give him Thompson, but the style he implemented bore fruit there.

We have a stream of players with re-sale value.  It's the first time in a very long time that this has happened and it's because they all have something in common - recently with Prem youth systems, playing at a club that uses the Prem youth style of football to make them comfortable and shine, all young enough to get compensation if out of contract or young enough to have a promising career ahead of them.  We may have had some decent players in clusters before, but many were older, coming to the end of careers etc.  This is more than luck, it's the process.

The gamble - doing that while getting a team to perform well in League One - if they don't perform well as a group, the re-sale of individuals is likely to be less clear or as high.

I do wonder if the money invested was in fact Power's own? it might be some of his, but I'd wager (on no info) that he's holding funds from others as well.  If he keeps it up though, that investment should be paid back within another year or so, or at least the majority.  If he can keep the club on an even keel to pay interest on loans and some capital back alongside that, then he'd likely hit a point in a year or two of deciding whether to stick or gamble some more.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 09:45:10 »

Seriously, what a total cunt that man is 

What me? Hmmm
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 09:51:38 »

I think he struck gold with appointing Williams as a coach (judge out on manager side). Some of the improvement of the players has been phenomenal, and that has to be down to the coaching.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 09:51:45 »

What me? Hmmm

Well I didn't wanna say..

bilko

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 10:22:08 »

I don't get all the knocking of LP by some fans as to me he has done a bloody good job of getting this club stable. Our club out of most others has had the most financial issues in the history of football and people need to lay off LP.
Things are progressing off the pitch such as the new training ground etc and LP has openly admitted he hasn't got deep pockets and we are a club that has to develop players and sell on for a profit and I see no problem with that.
The season just gone was poor and everyone seems to the right to be in the top 6 every season.
People need to remember we have had some horrendous owners of this club and to me LP is one of the better ones as no one else has brought players in with their contacts in football and developed the players and soled them on for profit and people should be saluting him for what he has done.
Its his club his money and all of you would do the same if it was your money - which is take out what you want when you want it. He is the guy taking the risks and if it fails its him that loses all the money not any of us.
Having said what I have said the chance of us getting a multi millionaire as an owner is fairly remote. Their are loads of multi millionaires out there looking for clubs but our problem is we don't own our ground and we are not even on the list that would interest people to invest in our club unless the club can get some agreement with the useless Swindon council and they pass ownership to the club which lets face it will never happen not with the idiots at the council.
The problem is if LP walks who comes in ? but if people keep knocking him the way they do I feel one day he will tell us to get stuffed and at the moment I cant blame him if he said that as I think he's getting unfair criticism.
The problem with football the premier league are awash with money and the rest of the leagues they don't give a stuff about and the money should be dished out more to lower league clubs to help them develop not only young English players but improve the standards of all the leagues as a lot of clubs cant even afford an academy now due to shortage of money lower down.
The PL teams get more and more money and the lower league sides get less and less and the only way for club like us to survive is the way LP is doing it by developing young players and selling them on.
So to me LP has been good for us and lets see what this season brings which I'm sure LP and LW have learnt a big lesson and we will see a massive improvement next season on the pitch even though I think it will be more competitive than last season.  Pint 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: