Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New York  (Read 8410 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 11:25:41 »

I stayed at the Paramount Hotel not a kick in the arse off of Times Square. I can't remember how much it cost or anything but the room was tiny and the view from my window was of the next door building (which is standard in central NYC) I don't think it was too pricy from memory.

As others have said, its a great, great city.

Is it worth me doing the same ask for Turks and Caicos?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 15:39:53 »

Stayed here easter 2001. Very good access to all the sights and not a bank balance buster.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 16:02:42 »

Is it worth me doing the same ask for Turks and Caicos?

Maybe our resident accountants might be up to speed on a fine UK tax haven.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 20:12:24 »

Stay in an Airbnb, but do it in Brooklyn. You'll get nothing decent if you don't want to spent hundreds for a shoebox room in a tiny apartment.

Or do what i did and stay in a hotel near times square for 3 nights, then a week in brooklyn. Eventually the masses gets to ya

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 21:03:10 »

Airbnb is illegal in New York isn't it (because of their subletting laws)?

Sure, you'd probably get away with it but it's probably risky enough for me to book a hotel instead.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, June 9, 2016, 23:45:46 »

Stayed here easter 2001. Very good access to all the sights and not a bank balance buster.

Nor was a 4 bedroom detached house in Esher then...
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 16:33:48 »

Bumpity Bump Bump

Looking to go in August next year with wifey & 2 teenage boys. Flights sorted, just need somewhere to stay now

Any new recommendations ? Hotels in Manhattan seem really expensive, so its probably a choice of a tiny room close to the sights or somewhere a bit nicer further out. Also, it seems that New York hotels don't do twin rooms, only double rooms or 2 x double beds. Is that right ? Or maybe its just the ones I've looked at so far

Looking to go on to Washington & maybe Niagara/lakes after NY, any more tips there ?

Cheers
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 18:17:48 »

On the rooms - Twin means something completely different here, it's the same as a single!

The rooms do tend to be either two x Queen or 1 x King.

Prices vary, even for the same hotels, so a cheap one from a year ago may not be a cheap one anymore.  I've stayed at a few different ones - be careful of any really cheap ones, the standard can be very hit and miss, like London.  Hilton Garden Inn are usually reasonable price wise and good locations (stayed on one on the East side around 50th St.  Once got the Roosevelt for a good price, that was nice.  Consider staying away from the midtown area but near a subway line and you'll bring the price down - Around 80th St is quite nice and a bit out of the main hub.  Nice bars along Amsterdam Avenue in that area and it's easy to get down to Times Square.

Niagara - go to the Canadian side if you can, better views.  It's quite a sight, better trip than DC in my mind.
ExiledEric

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 18:25:41 »

If you go to D.C. then the Washington Plaza is worth a look.  A walk away from the sights and has a pool - useful as it will be sticky in August.  Go for a breakfast included deal and pork out at the buffet which will set you up for the day.  In nyc everything is pretty pricey.  We’re staying at the westin grand central in feb which is fine but about $260 a night in August.
woolster

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 19:05:19 »

went to NY in January this year, as someone else mentioned we got a 2 bedroom apartment from Airbnb in Brooklyn, as we were taking the kids I didn't want to be crammed up in an hotel room when we had enough site seeing for the day, We payed $550 for 4 nights, the apartment was superb, proper oak floors, flat screen tv's in all the rooms, we got the underground into Manhattan everyday which cost around $15 return for a family of 4, the great thing about staying in Brooklyn was you can sample the proper USA way of life plus get away from the bustle of Manhattan
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 19:07:54 by woolster » Logged
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, December 20, 2017, 21:50:28 »

Went in March and stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn a few streets off central park and times square. Great location. I wouldnt worry about getting a really nice hotel...you dont spend a lot of time in the rooms as you are out and about all the time. You can get some good deals if you stay a bit further away from Time Square as well. Its easy to travel to Manhatten from the other boroughs or New Jersey but consider that it takes time out of your day if you plan on doing a lot.

Never flown into Newark but flew to JFK both times ive been. If you check the nearest Subway station to your hotel you can get the airtrain from JFK then the Subway to Manhatten for around 8 dollars. So much cheaper than a taxi or shuttle service and just as quick (about 50 mins). September is a great time to go. Great city is NY.

Stayed at that Hilton a few years ago. Would recommend.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 10:40:58 »

went to NY in January this year, as someone else mentioned we got a 2 bedroom apartment from Airbnb in Brooklyn, as we were taking the kids I didn't want to be crammed up in an hotel room when we had enough site seeing for the day, We payed $550 for 4 nights, the apartment was superb, proper oak floors, flat screen tv's in all the rooms, we got the underground into Manhattan everyday which cost around $15 return for a family of 4, the great thing about staying in Brooklyn was you can sample the proper USA way of life plus get away from the bustle of Manhattan

Is Air BnB actually legal in NY these days ? I thought it was not, or maybe that is just in Manhattan ?
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 22:08:54 »

Why go to Washington when Durham is just up the road ?
woolster

« Reply #28 on: Thursday, December 21, 2017, 22:47:38 »

Is Air BnB actually legal in NY these days ? I thought it was not, or maybe that is just in Manhattan ?
yes, not sure about Manhattan tho, Harlem has some great apartments aswell
Sir red ken

« Reply #29 on: Friday, December 22, 2017, 12:37:55 »

I've recently stayed at the Waldorf Astoria, its by far the best place I've stayed at in New York. Worth every penny.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: