Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New York  (Read 8408 times)
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« on: Sunday, June 5, 2016, 20:56:40 »

Looking to go for a week in Sept.

Any recommendations re best places to stay. I don't really want to spend loads so all reasonable suggestions welcome.

Seen one hotel by Newark Airport.  Is that to far out to travel to get to central NY on a daily basis?

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 5, 2016, 22:21:05 »

Newark is about 45 mins by car, but is a very cheap option (done it once that way but it is a hassle). 

Depends on your budget for hotels, but Upper West side is pretty good usually for lower cost hotels but s still close enough to most places on the subway.  The prices vary considerably - I've stayed in places that were cheap on the deal I got but the next time they were twice as much for similar dates,
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 6, 2016, 07:07:04 »

I've stayed in the New Yorker (which has gone super expensive now) and also Hotel Stanford, which was good for the price, both located next to Penn Station, recommend both if you can stretch to them!

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 6, 2016, 09:39:25 »

Looking to go for a week in Sept.

Any recommendations re best places to stay. I don't really want to spend loads so all reasonable suggestions welcome.

Seen one hotel by Newark Airport.  Is that to far out to travel to get to central NY on a daily basis?

Newark Airport is about an hour out of Manhattan. I would't advise staying there. There is plenty of choice much closer by.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 6, 2016, 09:50:27 »

What about Airbnb?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, June 6, 2016, 11:30:53 »

Always best to look Queens/Brooklyn, Hotels are way cheaper than Manhatten.

Anywhere towards the west side of either of those boroughs and its a very short subway trip into Manhattan.
paul backskin

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, June 6, 2016, 12:24:17 »

recently stayed in Conrad hotel in the business district of lower manhatten, excellent. New York is stunning, enjoy!
kirky69

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, June 6, 2016, 19:32:16 »

Went to NY last October. Stayed in Hells Kitchen area just off Times Square at Staybridge Suites. Reasonable price, complimentary breakfast, excellent service, great location. Only issue was waiting times for the lifts. Thoroughly recommend.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, June 6, 2016, 20:49:37 »

Went in March and stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn a few streets off central park and times square. Great location. I wouldnt worry about getting a really nice hotel...you dont spend a lot of time in the rooms as you are out and about all the time. You can get some good deals if you stay a bit further away from Time Square as well. Its easy to travel to Manhatten from the other boroughs or New Jersey but consider that it takes time out of your day if you plan on doing a lot.

Never flown into Newark but flew to JFK both times ive been. If you check the nearest Subway station to your hotel you can get the airtrain from JFK then the Subway to Manhatten for around 8 dollars. So much cheaper than a taxi or shuttle service and just as quick (about 50 mins). September is a great time to go. Great city is NY.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 09:20:07 »

Newark airport is a breeze to get in and out (from a landing and taking off point of view).  Much quieter and smaller than JFK for example which is a great example of badly designed airports.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 7, 2016, 11:03:59 »

Went in March and stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn a few streets off central park and times square. Great location. I wouldnt worry about getting a really nice hotel...you dont spend a lot of time in the rooms as you are out and about all the time. You can get some good deals if you stay a bit further away from Time Square as well. Its easy to travel to Manhatten from the other boroughs or New Jersey but consider that it takes time out of your day if you plan on doing a lot.

Never flown into Newark but flew to JFK both times ive been. If you check the nearest Subway station to your hotel you can get the airtrain from JFK then the Subway to Manhatten for around 8 dollars. So much cheaper than a taxi or shuttle service and just as quick (about 50 mins). September is a great time to go. Great city is NY.

I stayed there, take a right out of the hotel, and one or two blocks down is a diner which do breakfast that is out of this world. If i remember is had a slightly cosmic theme to it.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 09:01:04 »

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/new-york

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 09:20:59 »

if you love pizza, you MUST go here
http://www.joespizzanyc.com/index.php
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 10:49:55 »

I'll add to the chorus.  Don't stay in Newark, especially if it's your first trip to NY.  You would never get the same feel for the place and would probably regret it afterwards.

Staying there would be no different to an American coming to London for the first time and opting to stay in Slough or Croydon to save a few ££.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, June 8, 2016, 11:05:22 »

Last time we went, we got a brilliant deal for a tiny but lovely room at the usually completely inaccessible Hudson, just south-west of Central Park. A design jewel. Have a look just in case. https://www.morganshotelgroup.com/hudson/hudson-new-york

Newark it ain't.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: