Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reading 'friendly'  (Read 31134 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, May 29, 2016, 20:02:27 »

Cracking stand at Woking. Be happy with something similar

* CjeCOS7UUAEvALe.jpg (71.41 KB, 600x450 - viewed 248 times.)
inept and tiresome

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 29, 2016, 21:37:39 »

Are you on another planet? You are in the third division, with a fourth division wage structure and you're talking about another stand.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Monday, May 30, 2016, 00:16:37 »

I love the fact that everyone ignores Reading.
We are quite fortunate in that a few teams take us serious enough to dislike us.....Oxford, both Bristols, Gillingham etc.

Nobody hates Reading, nobody probably even loves Reading.

They are sort of Ok............ish

Reading's main rivals are Aldershot.....I'm surprised you don't know this.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, May 30, 2016, 06:27:19 »

Are you on another planet? You are in the third division, with a fourth division wage structure and you're talking about another stand.
Fuck me, just saying it's a nice stand!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, May 30, 2016, 07:23:57 »

STFC were invited to play the first game at Woking when that stand was opened, seem to remember that Woking actually paid for coaches for our supporters to go - I was on one of the two SAS coaches that went!!  We won 1-0 if memory serves me correct - rest of the ground was crap though!
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Monday, May 30, 2016, 12:01:31 »

This is a local forum, for local people. We'll have no hopes, aspirations or postivity here.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, May 30, 2016, 17:02:30 »

We're slacking.  No one has reposted this yet:

FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Monday, May 30, 2016, 17:11:31 »

We're slacking.  No one has reposted this yet:

Hahaha i forgot about that   Grin
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 08:49:57 »

The disconnect between the vehemence of the (dreadful) lyrics and the shots of empty stands is quite something.

Realise we can't exactly talk on the crowd front but, to me, Reading are the ultimate modern corporate 'family' club with no history, the Franchise aside -  Having a song which even Liverpool or Man United would probably find a bit too bombastic and self mythologising is the most un Reading thing imaginable.

To be fair, suspect their own fans find it embarrassing too.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 09:16:52 »

The disconnect between the vehemence of the (dreadful) lyrics and the shots of empty stands is quite something.

Realise we can't exactly talk on the crowd front but, to me, Reading are the ultimate modern corporate 'family' club with no history, the Franchise aside -  Having a song which even Liverpool or Man United would probably find a bit too bombastic and self mythologising is the most un Reading thing imaginable.

To be fair, suspect their own fans find it embarrassing too.

I'm no fan of the Biscuitmen, but tbf, they do have a long and decent history, we had our first competitive game against them in the FA Cup in 1892, at the Croft.

It would be 3/4 of a century and 2 world wars, before we played a meaningful fixture v Headington, that's what I call having a short history.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 09:59:44 »

'No History' was a lazy shorthand, really was meant to be a dig at the, sizeable in my opinion, element of their support who wouldn't have dreamt of going to Elm Park, yet rocked up when they got a shiny corporate stadium.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 10:13:59 »

'No History' was a lazy shorthand, really was meant to be a dig at the, sizeable in my opinion, element of their support who wouldn't have dreamt of going to Elm Park, yet rocked up when they got a shiny corporate stadium.

Isn't this the self same type of support that many are basing their hopes on for Swindon and telling Power  he should be seeking to engage via investment?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 10:14:08 »

Reg is right.  We were playing keenly contested derby games vs Reading decades before the yellow lot appeared.  If you read Dick Mattick's book, there is a lot in there about the Swindon/Reading rivalry during the early 20th century.

Cringe-inducing as that song is, I've tried not to go overboard in criticism of Reading since the late 1990s when they leapfrogged us...for the simple reason that, if we're honest, we'd love to have had a slice of the success they've had since then.  I know others (incl Reg) disagree, but I also think we're capable of emulating the sharp increase in attendances - if only we could manage two or three seasons without threatening to go bust and, perhaps, a promotion.  Maybe not to the same degree (due to the lower population density around Swindon) but it would happen.  We could do with a bit of Reading's 'plastic', in my view.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 10:30:02 »

Reg is right.  We were playing keenly contested derby games vs Reading decades before the yellow lot appeared.  If you read Dick Mattick's book, there is a lot in there about the Swindon/Reading rivalry during the early 20th century.

Cringe-inducing as that song is, I've tried not to go overboard in criticism of Reading since the late 1990s when they leapfrogged us...for the simple reason that, if we're honest, we'd love to have had a slice of the success they've had since then.  I know others (incl Reg) disagree, but I also think we're capable of emulating the sharp increase in attendances - if only we could manage two or three seasons without threatening to go bust and, perhaps, a promotion.  Maybe not to the same degree (due to the lower population density around Swindon) but it would happen.  We could do with a bit of Reading's 'plastic', in my view.

Historically, we were more or less evenly matched with Reading, with maybe STFC just having a slight edge down to the occasional cup exploits, that they never really emulated.

The CG, with the Arkells built in early 70's, just providing us with an edge ground wise on Elm Park.  However it was Elm Park's shitness which poved a winner, as it really was one of those grounds, surrounded by housing and lacking any space for development, that in the post Taylor era, really had to go.

The Madejski, although in a shit location is definitely one of the better new grounds.....would I want one plonked on the CG footprint?  It would be very hard to argue against....
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, May 31, 2016, 10:33:31 »

Simon Cox is not happy with the direction the club is taking....
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/14524400.Striker_voices_concerns_after_Royals_sack_Brian_McDermott/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: