Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New laptop  (Read 11581 times)
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 22:42:06 »

Crash Crash Crash

Got this new HP Pavilion Laptop last week and it is extremely lucky to have a screen in one piece right now  No

Won't let me install anything, first off I wanted chrome, runs download file, pop up appears saying downloading, won't even get to 1% just keeps whizzing past saying downloading when it's clearly not.

Went to use movie maker, not installed anymore is it! Need to download Windows essential 2012 where it is now locked away. Exactly the same happens above just says downloading.

I have actually managed to install Firefox tonight, it's as if when an installation is needed through windows it just doesn't do anything (but pretends to!)

Please help TEF.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 22:47:26 »

Have you tried kicking it?

That's the extend of my computering knowledge.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 11:51:11 »

Anyone else with a more technical response?
Don Rogers Sock

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 11:56:23 »

Unplug it before kicking it. More technical
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 12:02:38 »

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 12:25:19 »

Roll Eyes let's say Iv tried the above...and it still doesn't work.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 13:17:10 »

Roll Eyes let's say Iv tried the above...and it still doesn't work.

Sorry then, you have reached the end of my expertise, I would have by now either a) broken it or b) given it to the wife who has altogether more patience that I have! - Sorry  Roll Eyes
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 13:28:22 »

Sorry then, you have reached the end of my expertise, I would have by now either a) broken it or b) given it to the wife who has altogether more patience that I have! - Sorry  Roll Eyes

Ok, thanks for letting me know you don't know to fix it
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 13:31:33 »

Ok, thanks for letting me know you don't know to fix it

You're welcome.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 14:07:41 »

It doesn't sound like you don't have installation issues as much as download ones.

The download of Chrome doesn't get beyond 1% - this is before the installation stage, and suggests some sort of internet/firewall issue blocking the download. You seem to have downloaded Firefox just fine (or was this already pre-downloaded onto the pc?), have you tried downloading anything else?

Perhaps there's some sort of pre-installed firewall/virus checker causing problems here - are you getting any sort of message about scanning downloads or the like?
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 15:33:01 »

It doesn't sound like you don't have installation issues as much as download ones.

The download of Chrome doesn't get beyond 1% - this is before the installation stage, and suggests some sort of internet/firewall issue blocking the download. You seem to have downloaded Firefox just fine (or was this already pre-downloaded onto the pc?), have you tried downloading anything else?

Perhaps there's some sort of pre-installed firewall/virus checker causing problems here - are you getting any sort of message about scanning downloads or the like?

Cheers Nemo, thats whats baffling me, there is litterally nothing on the laptop from new. Just a free trial McAffee but I have tried disabling that incase it was blocking. when i say it doesn't get past 1% it doesn't actually come up with a % bar. just says downloading for an eternity. Firefox was downloaded perfect. the problem iv got is how to resolve it, laptop issue or windows issue and whether to just take it back to currys and say take a look?
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 17:04:58 »

I take it you've tried downloading the same file on different browsers? (I know chrome is the problem but presumably you have IE and FF now, does the same thing happen?)

Are you sure it's the downloading and not installing you're having problems with? I only ask because the thing you describe is the same as my issue and I've noticed it's because I can install standard .exe files but not those who which use Microsoft installers (.msi)

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 17:53:18 »

Cheers Nemo, thats whats baffling me, there is litterally nothing on the laptop from new. Just a free trial McAffee but I have tried disabling that incase it was blocking. when i say it doesn't get past 1% it doesn't actually come up with a % bar. just says downloading for an eternity. Firefox was downloaded perfect. the problem iv got is how to resolve it, laptop issue or windows issue and whether to just take it back to currys and say take a look?

There's your answer right there. Take it back to currys. If it is still in warranty.

I really don't understand why people buy the crap from currys/PC world.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 18:02:38 »

There's your answer right there. Take it back to currys. If it is still in warranty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_knowledge

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 26, 2016, 20:02:15 »

I've not bought a laptop or computer from there, but I've picked up some genuine bargains in PC World.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: