Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 52   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Euro 2016  (Read 102863 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #420 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:33:12 »

Well that's the referendum, our economy, the future of the UK and the Euros all fucked up within the space of a few days.  What's next on the list?

Planet X and the pole shifts
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #421 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:35:18 »

Pick a man with 28 caps for Jamaica, that'll sort everything out

the indefinite article is the clue....Morgan is English, could have been picked before he opted for Jamaica, but because he was Championship wouldn't happen.  Who's to say there aren't others who could do a job, if the manager wants to try and create a sort of difficult to beat ugly side.

Certainly a few of the Icelanders are Championship type players.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #422 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:36:03 »

Flint for England
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #423 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:37:38 »

I disagree with the thoughts this team is capable.  I think it was two years ago that I posted that not one player in pro football that would change our fortunes as a national team.  I stand by that.  We just don't produce the right sort of players.  This Premier League shit is getting right up my nose as well - so what if someone scored 20+ goals in our league, it's a fucking unique league.  Football isn't played that way in any other country or any tournament so it's all irrelevant to a degree.  The players who do well in our league from abroad have the right upbringing before they play here.

Our players have zero individuality, zero brain cells (they are simply not educated alongside being footballers) and cannot think for themselves and confidence in their technique as a result.  You could probably put someone like Allardyce in charge and get them to perform a little better with a defined systems (he works well because having a defined system removes some of the need for footballing intelligence) but we'd still be average.

Last year at the end of season bash. MC said the last thing he did with one player before kick off was show him a photo of the player he should mark at set pieces, anything else was wasted and wouldn't be understood. Probably a little indiscreet, but very interesting, as it's a common theme bought up about a lack of intelligence/thought within football.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #424 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:38:02 »

Graham Taylor tried putting a load of shit players into a team to see if that would work, it didn't.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:40:22 »

Last year at the end of season bash. MC said the last thing he did with one player before kick off was show him a photo of the player he should mark at set pieces, anything else was wasted and wouldn't be understood. Probably a little indiscreet, but very interesting, as it's a common theme bought up about a lack of intelligence/thought within football.

Because in our country getting to be a pro is often seen as being the end all.  In my time at school, everyone of any talent was a bit towards the bottom of classes, because they thought they were going to make it in football and didn't worry about education so much.  The when you get players who do make it into the pro game, they really think they are gods.  Many of the leagues we look down on create some of the best footballing nations.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:42:27 »

It's not the be all and end all, you still need to nurture a variety of talent, something we've really been bad in more recent times because we try to produce identikit players these days.  Our footballers are just plain "soft in the head" and don't have enough variety in the feet to outweigh that.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #427 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:42:45 »

That game has made no impact on me at all. I've lost all passion for the national side, and its highly unlikely to return any time soon. Get a di Canio type in that would make it interesting and ignite the passion.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:43:53 »

Graham Taylor tried putting a load of shit players into a team to see if that would work, it didn't.

Maybe the time has come again....btw, I'm not thinking about winning much here, but rather accepting our limitations and trying to at least retain a bit of dignity.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:44:39 »

That Iceland chant is class.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:44:51 »

Hodgson is no great shakes but our problem is not the manager.  We have had a stream of managers of all types, all of whom have run into the same problem.  The style of play expected in England doesn't translate into successful international football.  Now compounded by the PL wealth which makes mediocre 21 year-olds on absurd contracts think that they know it all.

Didn't watch the game but don't suppose it was any different to the litany of abject England performances that a succession of self-satisfied squads have produced over the years.  
adje

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:45:34 »

That Iceland chant is class.

Yes mate,very intimidating and effective

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #432 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:48:39 »

Typical town performance. Plenty of possession. Lots of fucking around. Very little action in their box and defensively fucking shit.
Fantastic for Iceland. They showed us up. We knew what to expect and still fucked it up. Rooney was total fucking wank as a player and captain. Joe hsrt has been coached by John Granville.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:48:57 »

Maybe the time has come again....btw, I'm not thinking about winning much here, but rather accepting our limitations and trying to at least retain a bit of dignity.

Who could play Carlton Palmer in this remake?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: Monday, June 27, 2016, 21:49:45 »

Yes mate,very intimidating and effective

A hint of the Berserker....
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 ... 52   Go Up
Print
Jump to: