Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My graphics card.......  (Read 10090 times)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 07:22:25 »

Bit Defender free edition is the best of the free AV products.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 08:09:47 »

Bit Defender free edition is the best of the free AV products.

That's what i use but the UI is a bit basic.

Perfect for those who want to install and forget Smiley
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 08:20:08 »

Exactly why I like it, lightweight, no pop ups, no customisation, just install and ignore.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 14:19:49 »

Flashheart if you still have problems I'll upload the latest driver to dropbox and send you the link. I have the same card and also run Windows 10.

I did have a problem with it too when I upgraded thinking about it. Can't remember exactly how I resolved it but I'm sure I can help run through some options this evening.
Flashheart

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 15:11:25 »

Cheers.

It's not a problem with finding the right driver, but that the driver wont install or causes the PC to crash when it does. I've just done a fresh install of Windows 10 and I've already had to disable the graphics card because it was crashing again. I've not long done the clean install though so some more tinkering to be done.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 15:57:46 »

Cheers.

It's not a problem with finding the right driver, but that the driver wont install or causes the PC to crash when it does. I've just done a fresh install of Windows 10 and I've already had to disable the graphics card because it was crashing again. I've not long done the clean install though so some more tinkering to be done.

Which version of the driver are you using? 32bit or 64 bit?

Trying to recall how I did this I think I uninstalled Catalyst and anything AMD, ran the cleanup tool, then downloaded the correct driver and extracted to an easy to find location.

Go to device manager and locate the Microsoft Basic Display and click update driver. Point it to the place you extracted the driver and let it update.
Flashheart

« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 17:18:33 »

64 bit, as per my system.

It downloads as an exe file that I can't extract. I've tried pointing it to the exe file but it doesn't recognise it as a driver.
Flashheart

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 18:51:13 »

Something that I'm sure that contributes to the crashes/restarts is a service called 'driver installation module' I think that starts up and installs a wrong(?) driver for the card, hence the crashes, and hence why I need to keep the card uninstalled.

With this in mind, by keeping an eye on task manager and looking out for the service so I could stop it, I managed to keep the card installed so it could be recognised by the auto detect tool which then went on to download and install a driver package.

Everything else in the package installed OK, except for the one I really wanted. It 'failed' for this reason: Driver Install: the driver package is not for a PnP function driver, whatever the fuck that means.
Flashheart

« Reply #23 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 11:11:57 »

Discovered yesterday that I have literally days remaining on a 3 year warranty for the card, so I took my PC to the shop today. The lad started it up, took one look at the screen and said the card was fucked, or words to said effect.

But the good news is that not only am I getting a free replacement, but I should also be getting a free upgrade. Not too shabby, even if I can't enjoy any gaming while I wait for a replacement.

If it broke a week later the warranty would have expired, so I've actually been quite lucky.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 11:25:47 »

That's a bit of a result FH, usually happens the other way round with me (things break days after the warranty expires)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #25 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 11:59:26 »

Discovered yesterday that I have literally days remaining on a 3 year warranty for the card, so I took my PC to the shop today. The lad started it up, took one look at the screen and said the card was fucked, or words to said effect.

But the good news is that not only am I getting a free replacement, but I should also be getting a free upgrade. Not too shabby, even if I can't enjoy any gaming while I wait for a replacement.

If it broke a week later the warranty would have expired, so I've actually been quite lucky.
It did sound like it was a fucked card as I spoke to you about really mate. What they replacing it with?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Flashheart

« Reply #26 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 12:03:46 »

Don't know yet, but I think it's being replaced according to what I paid for it, which was about 170-180 quid. That'll be something in the region of 200 quid if bought in the UK.

I'll be happy if they just replace it with an identical model to be honest so anything extra is a bonus, I was really most concerned about having to fork out for a new one.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 13:14:13 »

I still don't think the card was fucked. Sounds like the guy in the shop couldn't be arsed.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #28 on: Friday, May 27, 2016, 14:15:32 »

I'm of the same opinion, but a nice new card (hopefully) is nothing to complain about.
Flashheart

« Reply #29 on: Saturday, September 3, 2016, 18:01:01 »

And 3 months later a shiny new Radeon 7870 arrives. 3 fucking months.

Although it is an upgrade, and the shop did lend me one of their cards for a while as I kept hassling them.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: