Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League want a new division from season 2019-20  (Read 68272 times)
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 12:21:09 »

Unfortunately, we now have Luke Williams saying how excited he is about the prospect of playing Chelsea U 21. 

Problem is, he's probably been asked the question by a journo and what can he realistically say?

"I think its a terrible idea, and the fans shouldn't bother coming to the games, even if that means my team playing in front of no one and my employer losing loads of cash".

It's also possible from a coaching point of view, particularly in Luke's case, that the idea of testing team against the 'best' of young talent appeals, from a development point of view.

As Paul says, he'll have different priorities to us as fans, the good news is I don't think he will change the minds of most whatever he comes out with
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 14:43:18 »

Staff/players will always have a different take on this than fans. May be it hasn't even occurred to him how fans would look at this as an insult to lower league sides and even an existential threat, assuming you don't believe Scudamore that it's not the thin end of the wedge. Which, given it's Scudamore, is a given

I did say he's in a difficult position...and hopefully with a bit more experience he'll come to understand the politics of the role.  But he should have said something completely non committal....like "Yes, it's a one year trial, so be interesting to see how it pans out, but extra games might need a bigger squad, which I'm sure the owner knows"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 15:10:57 »

It's also possible from a coaching point of view, particularly in Luke's case, that the idea of testing team against the 'best' of young talent appeals, from a development point of view.

In which case he'll be all over Div 5, composed of the PL U 21 teams and a few grown up sides....perhaps that's the Power master plan  Hmmm
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 15:13:56 »

I did say he's in a difficult position...and hopefully with a bit more experience he'll come to understand the politics of the role.  But he should have said something completely non committal....like "Yes, it's a one year trial, so be interesting to see how it pans out, but extra games might need a bigger squad, which I'm sure the owner knows"
Oh I completely agree Reg, just saying that it might not have even occurred to him that this was a problem.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 15:43:38 »

Without searching too hard it appears the fine for not putting out a full strength side is (or was) £1,500. Could we raise £4,500 to cover the cost so the club can play a bunch of kids? Fuck the tournament and fuck its rules.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 16:08:58 »

Interesting to see that having only been up a few hours the Trust twitter vote is running at 86% in favour of a boycott, out of 500 votes cast. That's a sizable proportion of the usual LDV gate.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 16:21:45 »

Interesting to see that having only been up a few hours the Trust twitter vote is running at 86% in favour of a boycott, out of 500 votes cast. That's a sizable proportion of the usual LDV gate.

What's also interesting, to me at least, is this - There was a previous poll done on the Trust twitter the day the new format was officially revealed, and though there were less votes, the result was almost identical, it was 88% then, 87% now.

So it seems the lure of another Oxford game, and drawing the biggest club entering the competition, hasn't swayed anyone..
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 16:27:13 »

Without searching too hard it appears the fine for not putting out a full strength side is (or was) £1,500. Could we raise £4,500 to cover the cost so the club can play a bunch of kids? Fuck the tournament and fuck its rules.

I would assume the club would want to do well in the competition, as well as hoping for a decent gate receipt from the 2 home games.

Rightly or wrongly there's still a business to run and the competition will still be seen as a bit of a money generator if you get to latter stages
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 16:28:05 »

On Williams' views - he may well be excited about the prospect.  Those in football live in an odd bubble, hence why the changes were overwhelmingly voted in favour of.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 17:07:16 »

I think I saw on Twitter Pompey fans crowdfunding to enable Paul Cook to play a weakened side and pay the FL fine.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 22:47:47 »

I would assume the club would want to do well in the competition, as well as hoping for a decent gate receipt from the 2 home games.

Rightly or wrongly there's still a business to run and the competition will still be seen as a bit of a money generator if you get to latter stages

Potential £130k for winning all of the group games and the final, plus the share from the pool account.

Haven't made mind up yet about attending.
Football fans in general appear to be resistant to change though.
I bet there was a fuss when penalty kicks were first introduced in 1891.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 22:49:50 »

Potential £130k for winning all of the group games and the final, plus the share from the pool account.

Haven't made mind up yet about attending.
Football fans in general appear to be resistant to change though.
I bet there was a fuss when penalty kicks were first introduced in 1891.

Did penalty kicks benefit some to the deficit of others?
(Other than those that won and lost, naturally..)

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 23:10:47 »

Yep, Germans over England. Although that might be because they actually practice them Smiley
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 23:31:15 »

So Power and/or whoever voted for it.

Williams is excited about it (he's hardly going to say it's a load of shit is he??).

As usual in every decision that is made in a case like this, nobody thought or thinks about what the fans think. Fuck em....

I only know one fellow fan (who goes to games) that is excited about it.

I hope this Boycott thing snowballs.

I agree with Sam...I wish it had died....

Clems Army!
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Friday, July 29, 2016, 23:47:57 »

(Other than those that won and lost, naturally..)

Not really, only to put an end to the public school ideal that a gentleman would never deliberately kick the shit out of another.
A penalty kick was originally referred to as 'the kick of death' apparently.

Now that would be a rule change that would discourage playing for the penalty shootout. If you miss you die!
Or let the crowd decide with a mass thumbs up or down a la gladitorial arena.
Might have resulted in a world without Chris Waddle.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: