Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League want a new division from season 2019-20  (Read 67853 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:52:13 »

I want to be outraged, I really do, but every year a new proposal emerges and every year it's voted against.

The fact is that one day, they will get their way.

Manchester City with their 'Mini Estadi' Academy Stadium set-up was the clearest sign that 'B' teams in the FL pyramid was more a future inevitablity than a possibility.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:55:24 by Costanza » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:08:57 »

and when that happens, I'm out of watching football.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:16:22 »

and when that happens, I'm out of watching football.

Yep.  Deal breaker for me as well.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:17:28 »

I took it at face value and like the idea. So fuck you lot.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:22:03 »

I certainly wouldn't boycott football over it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:26:44 »

I've thought for a while something like this makes a lot of sense....particularly as attendances for mid week league games seem down on past years.  As part of the process the Prem should be reduced to 18 clubs.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:36:29 »

I certainly wouldn't boycott football over it.

But would you travel 4 hrs each way to watch Man City B vs STFC at Boundary Park?  Even a home game vs a B side would be a complete non-event for me.  I wouldn't turn up if I had to pay for the privilege, certainly.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:42:40 »

But would you travel 4 hrs each way to watch Man City B vs STFC at Boundary Park?  Even a home game vs a B side would be a complete non-event for me.  I wouldn't turn up if I had to pay for the privilege, certainly.

No. But in time the invited 'B' teams will probably build their own little stadiums... like what Manchester City already have.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:54:07 »

Who would the fans of these new 'clubs' be?  I just don't get it.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not against a restructure of the league per se.  I'm not even sure B teams are a part of the proposal.  But if they are, it's a no from me.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 19:58:25 »

the only way I'd accept b teams in the league is if they work their way through the system a-la-wimbledon.

even then I wouldn't be that bothered to see them play
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 20:03:18 »

Regardless of whether B teams are part of this proposal or not they can fuck right off.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 20:19:13 »

Who would the fans of these new 'clubs' be?  I just don't get it.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not against a restructure of the league per se.  I'm not even sure B teams are a part of the proposal.  But if they are, it's a no from me.

Manchester United U21 already average over 3,000 at Altrincham. Which doesn't sound like much but it's more than one L1 side, six L2 sides and all but three sides in the National League (in 2015-16).

I've attended a few Premier League U21 games and it's a mixture of old boys, dads taking their kids because it's a cheaper alternative and losers (me).

I don't think the 'B' team will come in, the FL will just gobble up the best of the National League.

The last expansion included Gillingham so the FL better think long and hard about this...  Smiley
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 20:37:54 »

it's a mixture of old boys, dads taking their kids because it's a cheaper alternative and losers

Well when you put it like that, I'm surprised people on here aren't more receptive to the idea Wink

It just leaves a horrible taste in my mouth, that the "if it's not broke don't fix it" adage is being manipulated so fuck all can be done about the real issues but something is being done never the less.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 21:52:07 »

I'm not too bothered if the league expands or stays the same but I'm with Ardiles if B teams come into play....fuck that.

Clems Army!
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 22:52:30 »

"The whole game needs to come together," he added. "It is about finding solutions that supports English football for the future."

So says the FL chief exec. If he is really serious then it shouldn't be just the FL that should change its structure.

Maybe I have selective memory, but I don't recall fixture congestion and player fatigue before the creation of the PL and the Champions' League. The FL should stop pandering to the FA and PL, and ultimately to the TV moguls (plus Wembley come to think of it).

I've stated it before, English pro football needs to be run by one body with one league of five divisions of equal numbers, with the same number of promoted teams and relegated teams between them (ideally four up and down to keep it exciting and refresh the divisions). Have one Saturday cup and one midweek cup competition with no seeding and all pro national league teams entering at the same round.

If the big boys were truly concerned about congestion and player welfare, they would lobby for a return to a knock-out European Cup just for the league winners (again without seeding).

Any thoughts about Celtic, Rangers and big boy B teams getting involved should be shelved without second thought.

The unique selling point about pro football in England should be the extraordinary way in which so many towns have pro football clubs, from the capital, former industrial powerhouses, spa towns, seaside resorts, new towns and market towns. That alone should make the 'product' marketable and attractive to TV companies, whose money should in a single league system be shared with greater equity throughout the league to fund stadium redevelopment, community facilities and supporter-club engagement.

The FA's and PL's delusional concept of creating a minority elite has been an abject failure, particularly with regard to the misguided notion of making the national team stronger. The rewarding of failure with huge pots of cash is a nonsense, and the peddled dream of attaining 'promised land' status continues to lure clubs into gambling their very existence, and tempt them into financial creativity to sidestep rules (punished by fines that are puny compared to the gains). Football clubs are not global brands. They are sporting institutions that compete every year to try and win individual matches and competitions on behalf of their locality and to continue their long-established heritage. Their success and failure should be measured by the number of games they win, the points accumulated and trophies won, and their ability to get as many people as possible into their grounds, not on their ability to hand over unnecessarily large amounts of money in salaries or to gain entry into a competition by finishing fourth.

The Wembley 'dream' has become a depressing myth: the hosting of FA Cup semi-finals has diluted its status, and the ludicrous robbery that is the play-off final ticket price, which is even more shameful when you see how the semi-final clubs reduced prices to attract fans to awkwardly-scheduled kick-offs and to help try to create a better atmosphere. The scheduling of international matches and league matches on the same day is an example of the disregard for the lower-league football supporter, adding to the disconnect between club supporters and the national team, and the hierarchical attitude of the football authorities.

The whole game needs to come together indeed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: