Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League want a new division from season 2019-20  (Read 67841 times)
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 17:12:00 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36335384

Just seen this on the BBC, it will be interesting to see if this gets voted in next June. It will affect a lot of teams if they change all the leagues to 20 teams, quite a few in league 2 will have to go down to make it 20 teams in each league.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 17:16:39 »

They are trying to get B teams through the backdoor.

The reason why there is no spare midweeks is down to the expanding CL/EL. They are just too long and should be reduced back to pure knockout (which I know they won't do). It's a joke when they get to the quarter finals of the CL and they spread them out over 4 weeks.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Flashheart

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 17:36:18 »

So fewer games will boost finances. How does that work then?
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 17:37:59 »

So fewer games will boost finances. How does that work then?

Exactly. This is from the same guy who wants PL B Teams in the FLT (formerly the JPT).

BAZINGA !!

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 17:45:49 »

Exactly. This is from the same guy who wants PL B Teams in the FLT (formerly the JPT).
It's not "formerly the JPT", it's always been the Football League Trophy. JPT etc are just the sponsored names. Same as it's always been the League Cup, not the Milk Cup etc. You corporate whore Smiley

Oh, and yeah, it's a shit idea. Stop buggering about with the league, just abolish the Premiership and merge it back in to Divs 1-4. Job done.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:21:01 »

Well if the Premier League have backed it then it's got to be a good thing for teams lower down the pyramid! those magnanimous bastards.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:22:44 »

As intimated by others there is almost certainly an ulterior motive to this. The way I see it this is either a way to make room for B teams without relegating real teams into non-league or to make room for a revamped football league trophy to allow the B teams in. Seems like a shit idea that will cost teams money we'd just spend our lives bouncing around the bottom 3 divisions rather than the 2 at the moment. Just leave it alone!
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:24:30 by theakston2k » Logged
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:23:39 »

Well if the Premier League have backed it then it's got to be a good thing for teams lower down the pyramid! those magnanimous bastards.

Well due to there being FL games being played when CL games are on, the PL clubs don't get all their money from UEFA.

BAZINGA !!

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:32:52 »

We need to know what the motivation is for the change.  If it's the introduction of B sides, they can #### off.  But I'm not sure it is.

There is the matter of fewer games = less revenue but, on the up side, there would be greater mobility for teams in the lower leagues which could make things more interesting.  There are plenty of teams in the 3rd & 4th tiers who seldom switch divisions.  We're not a bad example, as it happens.  I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand.

The proposal is for 5 tiers of professional clubs, each with 20 teams.  That's 100 professional clubs vs the 92 that we currently have.  In that respect, it's not a massive departure.  I'd like to hear more.  As PaulD says, though, let's rename the divisions 'Division 1' to 'Division 5'.  The current 'Prem' and 'Championship' nonsense means nothing and fools no one.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:33:24 »

Just how I like my posts - utterly saturated / positively dripping in irony  Cool
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:38:07 »

"The fixture list is so congested, it may be counter-productive to the quality of the product that we are seeking to deliver," said Harvey. "Not just to the fans who turn up on a matchday, but to a wider viewing audience.

"Our rebrand is about taking the Football League international.

"Yet a lot of our games take place midweek and that has a knock-on effect on the unique product that the Football League has always been.

I bloody love the idea that Accrington Stanley would be a household name internationally, for their "unique product", if only they didn't play so many midweek matches.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:38:51 »

That's 100 professional clubs vs the 92 that we currently have.  In that respect, it's not a massive departure.

Over half the clubs in the conference are professional these days anyway, it's pretty much a 5th division in all but name already.

As mentioned it's all down to what the real motives are
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:40:00 »

We need to know what the motivation is for the change.  If it's the introduction of B sides, they can #### off.  But I'm not sure it is.

There is the matter of fewer games = less revenue but, on the up side, there would be greater mobility for teams in the lower leagues which could make things more interesting.  There are plenty of teams in the 3rd & 4th tiers who seldom switch divisions.  We're not a bad example, as it happens.  I wouldn't dismiss this out of hand.

The proposal is for 5 tiers of professional clubs, each with 20 teams.  That's 100 professional clubs vs the 92 that we currently have.  In that respect, it's not a massive departure.  I'd like to hear more.  As PaulD says, though, let's rename the divisions 'Division 1' to 'Division 5'.  The current 'Prem' and 'Championship' nonsense means nothing and fools no one.
The football league chief executive specifically mentions leaving the door open for B teams in his statement on the proposals. Also the proposals have the support of the Premier League! Come on this is blatantly about B teams!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:43:28 »

What a bunch of fucking full of shit  bellends the football league are.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:51:13 »

Just how I like my posts - utterly saturated / positively dripping in irony  Cool

I think I prefer Batch's approach in this instance to be honest. It seems far more appropriate  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: