Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League want a new division from season 2019-20  (Read 67839 times)
Stevens

« Reply #30 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 05:37:50 »

65 clubs will need to vote in favour for this to happen, so it's not going to happen.
Barry Scott

« Reply #31 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 06:47:17 »

And then the Premier League will gently point out it's in our best interests (and the league will again remind us of the money the PL oh so kindly give us) and it'll go through without a hitch. God I hate the FA, FL and Premier League.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 06:51:35 »

And then the Premier League will gently point out it's in our best interests (and the league will again remind us of the money the PL oh so kindly give us) and it'll go through without a hitch. God I hate the FA, FL and Premier League.

Considering they are supposed to be acting in the best interest of their members its the FL I despise the most
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 07:43:03 »

It's ironic only a few months of their 'rebrand' to the EPL next season (where their logo incorporates dots to represent the 72 league clubs) that the FL wants to help the elite, and get Celtic and Rangers in along with B Teams. There has even been talk that to help placate the loss of revenue the FLT will have a group phase, to be played in midweek...so therefore it was never about the number of midweek games.

Well they can do one...and the Chief Exec should hand in his resignation, and get someone in who represents the lower leagues, instead of doing something that helps the elite with playing more European games, when there should be less. In the last 25 years, the number of league games in the top division has reduced along with the League Cup and FA Cup...whilst the number of European games have increased. By UEFA rules, there must be no league/cup games involving the top two divisions whilst CL games, which the FL cannot fulfill, so the PL clubs get penalized by getting their TV money cut from UEFA.

That is the real reason...money for the elite, and stuff the rest of us.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Panda Paws

« Reply #34 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 08:13:34 »

The one thing I wish they'd consider is regionalising Leagues 1 and 2 instead. Very little difference in quality, shown by the teams coming up from League 2 being very competitive and teams going down struggling. Much bigger away crowds, lower costs...

I'd much rather have Portsmouth, Luton, Yeovil etc than trekking north all the fucking time. Three up and down into the Champ (2 winners plus a play-off winner from 2nd and 3rd in each league).
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 08:17:37 »

Don't really agree with the proposals, but I do think the "no relegation out of the football league" season has the potential to be hilarious. If you were someone like Newport, you could just have a laugh for a year. Play 9 upfront. Get smashed before a game. Play a dog in goal. That's what I'd do anyway. Could be a useful money saver, don't pay anyone for a year and have a team of homeless men and inanimate objects. In fact if we are struggling in that league (I fucking hope not) and Anton Rodgers is still with us, I'd like to see if my statement of a scarecrow being more useful than him is actually true.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 08:20:20 »

They are talking about having 7 teams relegated from the Championship in 2019/20.

Madness.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 08:41:36 »

In fact if we are struggling in that league (I fucking hope not) and Anton Rodgers is still with us, I'd like to see if my statement of a scarecrow being more useful than him is actually true.
[/quote]
 Clap Clap

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 08:49:40 »

Quote from: Tails
Don't really agree with the proposals, but I do think the "no relegation out of the football league" season has the potential to be hilarious. If you were someone like Newport, you could just have a laugh for a year. Play 9 upfront. Get smashed before a game. Play a dog in goal. That's what I'd do anyway. Could be a useful money saver, don't pay anyone for a year and have a team of homeless men and inanimate objects. In fact if we are struggling in that league (I fucking hope not) and Anton Rodgers is still with us, I'd like to see if my statement of a scarecrow being more useful than him is actually true.

foook, my dream isn't dead after all!
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 08:49:59 »

Lots of sane & sensible point being made (albeit with exceptions) but what I don't understand is what the FL board get from proposing this stuff? And yes, I know technically they haven't taken a stance on it, just put it forward for the discussion/vote. But it will be unpopular, it will be voted down - after all 90% would need to pass it.

So what do they gain? It can only be to serve the PL agenda with B teams. They are FL chairmen. Why float this idea unless it is to start making it (or softer variants acceptable)? Or is it like EPPP and the Prem will start withholding money if they don't get their way?

If it was to get a mandate against B teams or inviting Rangers & Celtic in, you would propose that on its own. So why this?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 08:51:34 »

I wonder I'd this is an opening gambit to a 'compromise' of the thing they really want... 'OK ok let's not do that but let's let Celtic and rangers in and call it quits'
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 09:09:08 »

What if the PL sweeten the pill with 4 up, 4 down throughout the leagues? Wouldn't affect those already in L1 as it's already 4 down. First 3 automatic, 4 thru 7 playoffs.

Either that or a shedload of money to compensate.

Can't see how the reduction to 20 teams per league will increase the quality on show - if you're shit you're shit.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 09:16:07 »

Well there's been talk of a playoff reshuffle (nothing official though) which to be honest I would put first before adding 8 teams.

It would be carnage, as you'd have to relegate nearly half the Championship to make promotion from League One possible, and the same with League One relegation.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 10:16:53 »

Although it's not part of the proposal, not sure I'd favour a return to a regional L1 or L2.

People would soon get fed up with trips to places like Yeovil & Wycombe every year. Yes, the travel would be cheaper and maybe greater numbers initially, but in terms of the day out, I don't mind the trips to Sheffield or Greater Manchester for example.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 10:27:44 »

Although it's not part of the proposal, not sure I'd favour a return to a regional L1 or L2.

People would soon get fed up with trips to places like Yeovil & Wycombe every year. Yes, the travel would be cheaper and maybe greater numbers initially, but in terms of the day out, I don't mind the trips to Sheffield or Greater Manchester for example.

From Swindon a trip to Chesterfield is preferable to a trip to Gillingham or Southend.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: