Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League want a new division from season 2019-20  (Read 68091 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 07:26:08 »

Not really, only to put an end to the public school ideal that a gentleman would never deliberately kick the shit out of another.
A penalty kick was originally referred to as 'the kick of death' apparently.

Now that would be a rule change that would discourage playing for the penalty shootout. If you miss you die!
Or let the crowd decide with a mass thumbs up or down a la gladitorial arena.
Might have resulted in a world without Chris Waddle.

For no reason at all, this reminded me of a school football game we used to play up in Scotland called '5-a-kicking'. Basically one unlucky punter starts in goal and it was basically 'headers and volleys' with a twist. If you put the ball wide, or over (as over as you can get in jumpers for goalposts football) you then swap with the keeper. This goes on until the keeper concedes 5 goals. When this happens, the rest of the players are allowed to give you a kicking. Being one of the smaller kids at school, needless to say I hated this game.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 08:39:55 »

For no reason at all, this reminded me of a school football game we used to play up in Scotland called '5-a-kicking'. Basically one unlucky punter starts in goal and it was basically 'headers and volleys' with a twist. If you put the ball wide, or over (as over as you can get in jumpers for goalposts football) you then swap with the keeper. This goes on until the keeper concedes 5 goals. When this happens, the rest of the players are allowed to give you a kicking. Being one of the smaller kids at school, needless to say I hated this game.

Smiley
Which might explain why it was once commonly thought that every English league team should contain at least one or two Scottish players.
We could do with a Lee Collins type this season.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 09:20:33 »

Yep, Germans over England. Although that might be because they actually practice them Smiley

Hmmm
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 17:48:02 »

Very decent group for us...Chelsea should draw a crowd and a chance to turn beat the scum under the lights. A boost to the finances also, so no complaints from me.

Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Saturday, July 30, 2016, 19:30:44 »

Not really, only to put an end to the public school ideal that a gentleman would never deliberately kick the shit out of another.
A penalty kick was originally referred to as 'the kick of death' apparently.

Now that would be a rule change that would discourage playing for the penalty shootout. If you miss you die!

I think that's why Yaser isn't so keen on international duty!

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Panda Paws

« Reply #230 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 09:18:15 »

Very decent group for us...Chelsea should draw a crowd and a chance to turn beat the scum under the lights. A boost to the finances also, so no complaints from me.

Don't feed the troll...
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 11:02:14 »

Right Panda!

Clems Army!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 11:19:53 »

Could we not have just decided not to take part, Man Utd etc were invited but chose not to take part surely for it to be equitable league 3&4 clubs can do likewise?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:25:42 »

Could we not have just decided not to take part, Man Utd etc were invited but chose not to take part surely for it to be equitable league 3&4 clubs can do likewise?
We voted in favour of the proposals so I doubt we'd opt out anyway.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 13:44:50 »

Of course we wouldn't opt out. As pointed out above, the financial boost those two matches will bring will be much welcomed. Some fans getting on their high horse and not attending will do nothing to change that.

The competition has long been dying a death so there is no harm in a one season trial as this is - if it doesn't work, it will be binned and I assume hoards of fans will flood back to watch us play Barnet.
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 17:38:57 »

Of course we wouldn't opt out. As pointed out above, the financial boost those two matches will bring will be much welcomed. Some fans getting on their high horse and not attending will do nothing to change that.

The competition has long been dying a death so there is no harm in a one season trial as this is - if it doesn't work, it will be binned and I assume hoards of fans will flood back to watch us play Barnet.
And if it does work, there will be evidence that the PL/FL will use to further attempts to get PL U21 sides into the FL. Better to do what one can now to send a signal that this is not welcomed. I'm happy to sit on my high horse, not attend, and know that at least I'm doing something, even if it makes no difference in the long term.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 17:51:45 »

They could introduce veteran sides for all I care.

Do we really need a competition that makes one or two sides feel all warm and fuzzy in a half-empty stadium? I'm not so sure.

Even a modern era FA Cup third round tie can conjur just much excitement as a full FLT campaign can. Just need to get that far.....
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 18:48:01 »

Rather travel to Barnet away and have a few beers than Chelsea 4th eleven at home.

Clems Army!
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Sunday, July 31, 2016, 18:56:06 »

Every change of a competition for the last 20 odd years has been to the detriment of lower league football, from the bastardisation of the European Cup/UEFA Cup to this. Don't forget there used to be 2 legs for the first 2 rounds of the LC, with a good chance of being paired with a big club in the 2nd round (just imagine how much money that could be worth now), and replays being culled/limited in the LC and FA Cup, just because the CL/EL has been extended and the first team players hardly plays in the early rounds either, where all clubs used to play their first team.

Hell, they got rid of the Football Combination as they couldn't be asked to play reserve games against us, but now they want to play their reserves against our first team.

The FL need to tell the PL to stick this plan, and dump the tournament. To compensate for the loss of games in the bottom 2 divisions, they should maybe get the divisions extended to 26 teams, by either reducing the Championship, which I read were complaining of fixture congestion, and/or getting some teams in from the Conference. Yes, more league matches, but people are more likely to turn out for more League matches than the FLT.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, August 2, 2016, 19:27:32 »

Portsmouth fans have the right idea.....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36953689

It must hit home when a club like Portsmouth have to feel honoured to be playing Reading's under 21s.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: