Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sevilla v Liverpool  (Read 13110 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 10:56:35 »

Christian Benteke cost 10 million quid more than the whole of the Sevilla first team I'm led to believe.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 11:05:03 »

The sides towards the bottom of the premier are better than those in similar postions in la liga in my opinion. They have a winter break which helps I also think.

They didn't play Liverpool off the park. First half was a different kettle of fish. Individual errors and who knows maybe fatigue was a factor ? Moreno was woeful by the way.

But how do you know as they never play each other, the second half was embarrassing, not sure if it was Liverpool fatigue or that Sevilla just sorted their system out as they were just lumping it first half. Don't even get me started on a winter break as you know that if they introduced it over here all the teams would just fuck off to play games in Asia and then moan about travel fatigue.

In defence of Moreno, speaking as someone who previously occasionally played sunday league as a full back (I never should have as I am slow and have the turning circle of an oil tanker!) you can look very shit if you have zero protection from midfield as you have both the winger/midfielder to deal with plus an opposing full back arriving at pace, for whatever reason Liverpools midfield just sacked it off in the second half which left the back four hopelessly exposed, although the fact that Toure looked the best defender on the night says a lot about how the defence played as a unit.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 11:06:52 »

Christian Benteke cost 10 million quid more than the whole of the Sevilla first team I'm led to believe.

Yeah Liverpool need to get out of the habit of buying big strikers, then making a big song and dance that they don't reflect their style of play and then not playing to their strengths, first Carroll now Benteke - seems to be a blind spot at the club!

Watching their fans melt down on NWT last evening was a highlight!
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 11:53:10 »

Moreno made 2 mistakes for the first goal, which was the massive turning point of the game. He deserves criticism. So does Coutinho to be fair who was player of the season and did absolutely nothing
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 12:52:02 »

I don't see anyone say the BPL is the "best" league in the world anymore in terms of ability. It's the best league in terms of entertainment, that will never change.
The premier league regularly promotes itself as the best league in the world, unfortunately just saying it over & over doesn't make it true.

I'd actually argue that it's not even the best league in England in terms of entertainment, quality yes, but for entertainment I'd say the championship is probably better
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 13:08:28 »

The premier league regularly promotes itself as the best league in the world, unfortunately just saying it over & over doesn't make it true.

I'd actually argue that it's not even the best league in England in terms of entertainment, quality yes, but for entertainment I'd say the championship is probably better

Funnily enough, I've just said this to a colleague of mine!

Roaming the land while you sleep..
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 15:36:01 »

The trouble with the Premier League is that it is so far up its own arse, it needs a miners lamp to pat itself on the back.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 16:19:37 »

Fair enough, but the point I was trying to make is do the Premier League try and promote itself as best for ability or best for entertainment? They don't say "this is the best league in the world for ability" (although that would be a bit of a mouthful).

Actually probably agree that Championship is usually more exciting, Leicester winning the prem this year is maybe an exception to Champ being more entertaining.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 18:51:27 »

The standard of the premier league is higher than la liga. There are some awful sides in the latter. There are no easy games( villa aside) in the premier league.

We've had this argument many times before....the Prem is a more even league, but the standard of football is way lower.

This is especially true at the lower end of the prem because the sheer amount of money at stake for relegation...means safety first and a template of fill your side with athletes and play %.  It's hard to watch at times, which is why the arch practioners like Big Sam, Pardew, Pulis will get moved on as owners try to get something a bit better. It's also why canny foreign coaches like Flores and Bilic, come in and more or less stick with the template.

In Spain becasue the consequence of relegation is lower....there's less fear amongst the lesser lights.

For example Las Palmas came up from the segunda, last year, at first struggled for results, but stuck with a progressive style, and passed their way into mid table. They did this with 8 islanders in the side, who'd come through their academy a joy to watch.   Sevilla have been less than convincing this season, failing to win a single game away from the Ramon Sanchez Pizuan, but still outclassed the Scousers.

The mid season break is a bit of a red herring regards Spain, as it's really only for the Xmas period, and this season because of the Euros, a round of mid week games was stuck in after the weekend.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: